Connect with us

CRIME

Investigation Into Matt Gaetz Approved at ‘Highest Levels’ of DOJ – Began at ‘End of Last Summer’: NY Times Reporter

Published

on

Tuesday night’s bombshell report that Congressman Matt Gaetz is under DOJ investigation for a possible relationship with a 17-year old took another wild turn when New York Times reporter Katie Benner revealed Attorney General Bill Barr or his office approved the investigation.

Benner also went further in the interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Tuesday night, revealing that the investigation began not late last year, but earlier, at the end of last summer, “so it’s been going on for more than six months.”

“This is a serious investigation that was serious enough that even the highest levels of the Justice Department, including the Office of the Attorney General Bill Barr, said that it should continue,” Benner explained.

She also questioned why Rep. Gaetz went public with specific details after the New York Times published its report, Tuesday, saying that by doing so the Florida Republican congressman “blew up” the FBI’s investigation by naming the former DOJ official Gaetz claims is blackmailing him and his family in a $25 million “extortion” scheme.

“I think one of the reasons why he has talked publicly about this extortion and one of the reasons why he’s publicly said that the FBI has asked his own father to wear a wire is in order to try to get people to not pay attention to the fact there was in fact the Trump administration thought it worthy to investigate him,” Benner said.

“In publicly talking about the extortion plot that he’s described and publicly saying his father wore a wire, he’s basically destroying and blowing up the FBI investigation, which is in itself something you would think would be against his own interest,” Benner added.

Gaetz is denying he did anything wrong, including denying having a sexual relationship with a 17-year old girl, and instead blamed the former DOJ official. But Benner said both stories could be true: there is an investigation into his actions authorized at the highest levels of the DOJ, and that a former DOJ official found out and is blackmailing him. She did not state Gaetz’s extortion claim was true, only that it is possible.

Watch:

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

‘Incel’ With a ‘Manifesto’ Planned Mass Slaughter of Sorority Women ‘Out of Hatred, Jealousy and Revenge’: Feds

Published

on

A member of the “incel” movement has been arrested for stocking up on weapons and plotting the mass slaughter of sorority women at an Ohio college campus.

The United States Department of Justice announced on Wednesday that 21-year-old Hillsboro, Ohio resident Tres Genco was arrested by federal agents after they learned of his alleged plot to go on a shooting spree of women at the college.

The DOJ notes that the suspect left a long trail of self-incriminating evidence, including multiple posts he made to a website frequented by incels, a term for men who are involuntarily celibate.

“Genco also allegedly wrote a manifesto, stating he would ‘slaughter’ women ‘out of hatred, jealousy and revenge…’ and referring to death as the ‘great equalizer,'” the DOJ claims. “As part of this investigation, law enforcement agents discovered a note of Genco’s that indicated he hoped to ‘aim big’ for a kill count of 3,000 people and intended to attend military training. Searches of Genco’s electronics revealed that the day he wrote his manifesto, he searched online for sororities and a university in Ohio.”

Federal investigators also found that Genco in 2019 purchased “tactical gloves, a bulletproof vest… a bowie knife, a skull facemask, two Glock 17 magazines, a 9mm Glock 17 clip and a holster clip concealed carry for a Glock.”

Genco also did internet searches in which he asked questions such as “how to plan a shooting crime” and “when does preparing for a crime become attempt?”

Read the DOJ’s full press release at this link.

Continue Reading

CRIME

Russian Government Hackers Broke Into RNC’s Computers Last Week: Report

Published

on

Around the same time criminal extortionist hackers in Russia executed a massive international ransomware attack demanding $70 million in bitcoin, Russian government hackers broke into computers at the Republican National Committee.

“The government hackers were part of a group known as APT 29 or Cozy Bear,” Bloomberg News reports, citing people familiar with the matter. “That group has been tied to Russia’s foreign intelligence service and has previously been accused of breaching the Democratic National Committee in 2016, and of carrying out a supply-chain cyberattack involving SolarWinds Corp., which infiltrated nine U.S. government agencies and was disclosed in December.”

On Saturday an RNC spokesperson denied the attack, claiming there was “no indication the RNC was hacked or any RNC information was stolen.”

Bloomberg calls the move “a major provocation to President Joe Biden, who warned Russian President Vladimir Putin about cyberattacks at a June 16 summit.”

Biden has said he will take appropriate action if Putin continues to engage in criminal cyber warfare. Those attacks appear to have increased in recent weeks.

This is a breaking news and developing story. 

Continue Reading

CRIME

‘That Makes Them Criminal’: Eric Trump Pilloried After Giving Away the Game About Trump Org Indictment on Live TV

Published

on

The Trump Organization and its Chief Financial Officer Allen Weisselberg found themselves in hot water this week when the Manhattan DA revealed an indictment alleging a pattern of criminal financial conduct dating back more than a decade.

While it comes as no surprise that the Trump Organization remains a major topic of discussion today, legal experts, observers, and Twitter users are also puzzled by the public comments about the matter from one person who probably should have been silent: Eric Trump.

Under normal circumstances, people under the heat of criminal investigation are well-advised to refrain from making any remarks about the matter. But the former president’s son didn’t heed that counsel.

Speaking with Fox News, Eric Trump made a number of incriminating remarks that led many to believe that his father’s company is actually guilty of doing what it has been accused of. At one point during his appearance on Fox News, Eric criticized the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office as he accused them of “focusing on $3.5 million to take down a political opponent” as he insisted “crime ‘is rampant’ and people are leaving ‘dirty’ and ‘disgusting’ New York City ‘in record numbers.'”

“I mean, this is what they do, this is New York state for you,” Eric claimed. “This is worse than a banana republic. It’s truly horrible.”

He even went a step further by weighing in on the alleged scheme the company is accused of. He dismissed the allegations describing the alleged kickbacks as nothing more than “employment perks.” But that’s conceding exactly the point at issue: The DA argues that the Trump Organization paid Weisselberg using these “perks” — such as renting him an apartment in New York City — to compensate him and avoid paying taxes. That’s a crime, and calling the non-salary benefits “employment perks” doesn’t reduce culpability. It confirms the prosecutors’ account of events.

It didn’t take long for viewers to began weighing in via Twitter.

“If you are on the Trump Organization’s legal team, are you encouraging this?” Suarez asked. “Are you quietly sending emails and texts urging them to not say much for a while? “I’m not Hunter Biden” will not be admissible at trial.”

Attorney Bradley P. Moss wrote, “Clearly, no one at Trump Org has told the nepotism hires that commenting on the criminal matter is unwise. Run your mouth, Eric. Run your mouth.”

Guardian reporter Van Badham also had a message for Eric as she pointed out, “These things you are admitting to are against the law. That makes them criminal.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.