Connect with us

HYPOCRISY

Kavanaugh Frustrated by Probing Questions

Published

on

Supreme court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh during senate testimony

A mock questioning of Brett Kavanaugh did not go so well, according to a report in the Washington Post.

The Supreme Court nominee and a cadre of White House aides met at the Eisenhower Office Building on the West Wing last week, in an attempt to prepare Kavanaugh for a second round of questions in the wake of allegations over the sexual assault of Christine Blasely Ford.

While Kavanaugh did condemn sexual assault during the practice, and avoiding directly discrediting Ford, he did not come off well when the questions grew more probing, seemingly reluctant to take the pounding the faux committee members were presenting him with.

“Kavanaugh grew frustrated when it came to questions that dug into his private life, particularly his drinking habits and his sexual proclivities,” read the report.

In some cases, he declined to answer the question entirely, claiming they were simply “too personal” to respond to.

This is in sharp contrast to questions suggested by Brett Kavanaugh, associate counsel, for then-President Bill Clinton during the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Back then, Kavanaugh “strongly opposed to giving the president any ‘break’ in the questioning regarding the details of the Lewinsky relationship.”

Kavanaugh’s suggestions for questions to Clinton in 1998 included, “If Monica Lewinsky says that you inserted a cigar into her vagina while you were in the Oval Office area, would she be lying?”

It would seem that Kavanaugh’s opinions on what is or isn’t appropriate has evolved over the previous 20 years.

Christine Blasely Ford is slated to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday.

Image via screen capture from video source.

 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 

HYPOCRISY

Video Shows Trump In El Paso Hospital Bragging About Crowd Size and Demeaning Beto O’Rourke

Published

on

The White House refused to allow any members of the press to travel inside the hospitals President Donald Trump visited Wednesday in Dayton and El Paso, after mass shootings in those cities last weekend killed 31 people. But a just-released video taken by someone who was able to attend the president’s visit to an El Paso hospital reveals the president’s hypocrisy when he claimed he was going to provide “unity” as he chastised top Ohio Democrats for what he wrongly claimed was politicking during his Dayton visit.

Clearly, the President was not practicing what he preached.

In the video below Trump can be seen inside El Paso’s University Medical Center bragging about his crowd size when he held a rally in that city earlier this year. He can also be seen demeaning Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke, who until recently served as that city’s U.S. Congressman.

“I was here three months ago and we made a speech,” Trump told the hospital’s medical team, as Politico noted. “That place was packed.”

Related: El Paso Hospital Says None of the Hospitalized Victims Would Meet With Trump

“We had twice the number outside. And then you had this crazy Beto. Beto had 400 people in a parking lot.”

The Texas Tribune, meanwhile, reports “Donald Trump still owes $569,204 for his February rally.”

NCRM could find no proof of Trumps’ claim O’Rourke hosted “400 people in a parking lot.”

Continue Reading

HYPOCRISY

Anti-Bullying Activist Melania Trump Hosts ‘Be Best’ Meeting After President’s Rage-Tweeting Weekend

Published

on

First Lady Melania Trump kicked off the week by hosting her first Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs as part of her “Be Best” campaign which she began officially last May. The Working Group was created under President George W. Bush.

The goal of Monday’s meeting appeared to be more PR than action.

“First lady Melania Trump will add another component to her Be Best program by showcasing how multiple government agencies interact with youth and working with the groups to improve youth programs,” CNN reports.

Monday morning the First Lady, flanked by HUD Secretary Ben Carson and Matt Dummermuth, a DOJ official in charge of billions in grants to local law enforcement agencies, opened the meeting.

“Thank you for coming,” she told attendees, saying the mission of Be Best is “to enhance the lives of children everywhere.” She added that the “three pillars” of her Be Best program are, “well-being, online safety, and opioid abuse” – presumably meaning combatting and preventing opioid abuse.

The First Lady’s comments and commitment to improving online safety, and her promises to work to prevent online bullying are in direct contrast to the President’s daily outbursts, and especially what for him was a “lost weekend” of rage-tweeting. While the President does not drink his actions show an apparent addiction to venting his anger via the social media platform.

As many in the media have noted, President Trump posted 50 tweets or retweets over the weekend, attacking a re-run of Saturday Night Live, along with Hillary Clinton, the Democratic Party, CNN, the Mueller investigation, the late Sen. John McCain and his daughter, the United Auto Workers’ union, General Motors and its CEO Mary Barra, and Fox News anchors. He also urged support for Fox News’ Jeanine Pirro, who reportedly was suspended after her Islamophobic remarks, and Tucker Carlson, who has been highly criticized for refusing to apologize for remarks he made supporting statutory rape and underage sex.

As the First Lady’s meeting was underway, President Trump, who has almost nothing on his public schedule today, continued his tweets of blind rage. He again went after GM and the UAW, unleashed attacks on former Vice President Joe Biden and the “The Fake News Media,” while praising his approval rating among the GOP.

RELATED STORIES:

EXCLUSIVE: MELANIA TRUMP’S ‘BE BEST’ WEBSITE SECRETLY ALTERED AFTER ALLEGATIONS OF PLAGIARISM

‘TRUMP ENCOURAGES VIOLENCE’ IS TRENDING ON TWITTER – HERE’S WHY

KELLYANNE CONWAY’S HUSBAND WARNS OF TRUMP’S MENTAL HEALTH — AND TWEETS OUT INFO ON PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS

WHILE SHOOTING DOMINATES NEWS, PRESIDENT FOCUSES ON FOX CELEBS AND SNL

CONWAY SIDESTEPS AND PIVOTS BUT REPEATEDLY REFUSES TO SAY IF TRUMP WILL APOLOGIZE FOR HIS CYBERBULLYING AT SOTU

 

 

Continue Reading

HYPOCRISY

‘This President Loves His Family’: Watch a ‘Traditional Marriage’ Senator Defend Trump’s Hush Money Payments

Published

on

A sitting “family values” and “traditional marriage” Republican U.S. Senator is defending President Donald Trump‘s payments to a porn star and a playmate by insisting that the hush money comes out of the president’s love for his family.

“I honestly think this president loves his family, and I think it has as much to do w/trying not to have public discussions about something that for him is a private matter,” Senator Mike Rounds (R-SD) told CNN Wednesday.

On his taxpayer-funded federal government website Senator Rounds has a section titled “Family Values.” It shows him in a photo with five children, and the caption: “Since my time working as governor and state senator, protecting and strengthening family values has been a priority of mine. I am pro-life and believe in the traditional definition of marriage.”

Reminded that the hush money payments were made “to influence the election,” Sen. Rounds replied he wouldn’t try to “litigate” what “legitimate campaign expenses” are.

Watch:

Despite his claims of being “pro-life” and pro-family, Senator Rounds in December came under fire for supporting legislation that would squeeze $25 billion out of programs like food stamps to build Trump’s wall.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.