The White House is scrambling to defend Vice President Mike Pence‘s decision to stay at President Donald Trump‘s hotel in Ireland while meeting with that country’s leaders – 180 miles away. Pence will be using Air Force Two as a shuttle between the Trump International Golf Resort in Doonbeg and Dublin. American taxpayers will be footing the bill every step of the way for the VP, countless Secret Service agents, and presumably White House aides – with a large portion of the likely multi-million dollar trip landing in the president’s pockets.
One Georgetown professor posted a map showing where Pence will be staying and just how far that is from where his meeting will be:
While in Ireland, VP Pence is staying in Trump’s golf resort. Which is in Doonbeg (red pin).
His official duties are in Dublin, which is literally the opposite side of the country.
Apart from enriching the President, what is the purpose of running up taxpayer costs like this? pic.twitter.com/30QyxI5WXb
— Don Moynihan (@donmoyn) September 3, 2019
Outrage online has been so palpable Pence Chief of Staff Marc Short was forced to address the scandal.
After the president lauded the resort and stayed there earlier this year revenue increased. Short was asked by reporters if Trump directed his Vice President to stay at the Trump-owned property which is has been facing financial difficulties.
“I don’t think it was a request, like a command,” Short told reporters, as NBC News reported. “I think that it was a suggestion.”
“It’s like when we went through the trip, it’s like, well, he’s going to Doonbeg because that’s where the Pence family is from,” Short said before describing the president’s suggestion. “It’s like, ‘Well, you should stay at my place.'”
“It wasn’t like a, ‘You must,'” Short continued, fielding 17 questions about the Doonbeg decision from reporters. “It wasn’t like, ‘You have to.’ It’s a facility that could accommodate the team. Keep in mind, the Secret Service has protected that facility for him, too, so they sort of know the realities, they know the logistics around that facility.”
Pence’s wife, sister, and mother are also joining him, but The New York Times’ Maggie Haberman reports Short says the Vice President is “personally paying all family expenses.”
President Trump has visited Trump properties almost 300 times since being sworn in in January 2017, with taxpayers footing the bill.
In August Trump repeatedly pushed for the annual G7 meeting to be held at his Miami golf resort next year. Hosting such an event would likely pour millions into the president’s pockets.
This CNN Legal Analyst offered his take:
In the mafia there’s a concept known as “kicking up” or “paying tribute” to the Boss – lining the Boss’s pockets to keep him happy. The Boss doesn’t have to explicitly ask; it’s understood.
— Elie Honig (@eliehonig) September 3, 2019
Here’s what some others are saying about Pence staying at Trump Doonbeg:
This is “tit for tat”. And it’s exactly what Michael Cohen testifies to during Congressional hearing.
DJT says things in a way that lets you know exactly what he expects.
In modern business world its otherwise known as “Harassment in the workplace”. Bullying!
— Al Wayward (@Wayward888) September 3, 2019
Fleecing the nation for privileged white greed
— MikeB (@MBoyus) September 3, 2019
“Not only is federal money spent at Doonbeg, it gives the business a high-profile advertorial platform to attract customers.” I hope you are adding this to emoluments violations in impeachment articles, @SpeakerPelosi . @TheDemocrats https://t.co/dFMUmG2o9o
— Cheryle Johnson (@CheryleJ0806) September 3, 2019
two questions for a congressional oversight committee
1) How much will the decision to commute by air between Trump property and Pence’s appointments in Dublin cost the taxpayer?
2) How much will the (troubled) Trump property in Ireland be paid by the taxpayer? https://t.co/S1s7CzOHWK
— David Frum (@davidfrum) September 3, 2019
Getting Pence & team to stay at the Trump property on Ireland’s west coast & commute daily to & from the meetings on Ireland’s east coast —all to line Trump’s pocket — isn’t just a waste of tax $. It violates the Article II Domestic Emoluments Clause. @RepJerryNadler @RepRaskin
— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) September 3, 2019
Vice President Mike Pence is staying at Donald Trump’s golf resort in Doonbeg during his visit to Ireland, even though it means flying 140 miles to Dublin for his meetings.
Because this administration is about nothing if it’s not about making Trump money.https://t.co/8GsVlvzyK2
— Citizens for Ethics (@CREWcrew) September 3, 2019
wait, the good news is that Pence entourage will be **paying Trump** to stay at his resort? https://t.co/QEcl2bxjTW
— Eric Boehlert (@EricBoehlert) September 3, 2019
Doonbeg is almost 300km (nearly 200 miles) away from Dublin for those who don’t realize.
Instead of staying in a hotel in Dublin and not FLYING across the country in a helicopter, Pence will stay in Doonbeg, and get Trump paid for staying there..The Trump grift is real. pic.twitter.com/zSk70cMZID
— Zack (@kodkod87) September 2, 2019
What about the Secret Service and choppers and added travel? Taxpayers will cover those. Oh, and by "personally paying" Short means Pence, like William Barr, is PUTTING MONEY IN THE PRESIDENT AND HIS FAMILY'S POCKETS. Turns out there is royal tribute and all Republicans must pay. https://t.co/VcKG0wc1gr
— Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) September 3, 2019
#TuesdayThoughts #TuesdayMotivation #TuesdayMorning
Trump’s Doonbeg Resort needs $ so Trump is making Pence stay there. Pence’s meetings are a 3 hour drive so, at tax payer expense, he’s flying AF-2 for 20 minutes back and forth, costing millions. https://t.co/VmQy3muzjb
— Diane Toucan (@DianeToucan) September 3, 2019
— HeyitsLola (@LolaSweet) September 3, 2019
Image via Twitter
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Mnuchin Says President Has Ordered More Tax Cuts to Stimulate Growth – Despite Trump Bragging Economy Is ‘Greatest’ in History
Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has just revealed the White House is working on a second round of tax cuts to boost economic growth, despite President Trump telling the world the U.S. is experiencing historic economic growth.
Both Republicans made their remarks at the World Economic Forum in Davos this week.
“The president has asked us to start working on what we call ‘tax 2.0,’ and that will be additional tax cuts,” Mnuchin told CNBC. “They’ll be tax cuts for the middle class, and we’ll also be looking at other incentives to stimulate economic growth.”
Meanwhile, the President told several falsehoods about the economy.
“We have the greatest economy we’ve ever had in the history of our country,” Trump told Davos attendees.
That is a lie.
“Economists previously told Business Insider that the Trump economy has provided mixed results,” Business Insider, a right-leaning news site, reported, while debunking that claim and others Trump made this week at the economic conference.
“The president has asked us to start working on what we call ‘tax 2.0,’ and that will be additional tax cuts,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said. https://t.co/q8eEomt51i pic.twitter.com/5pHKYfFcLZ
— CNBC (@CNBC) January 23, 2020
‘There’s Nothing I’m Giving Up’: Sean Spicer Works for Pro-Trump PAC and Will Not Curtail His Duties While on DWTS
Former Trump press secretary Sean Spicer will be a “star” on ABC’s Dancing With the Stars this season – much to the chagrin of many who expressed outrage this week – but what the announcement on “Good Morning America” didn’t mention is Spicer isn’t giving up his day job – not for a minute.
Spicer is the number three person at America First Action, a pro-Trump PAC headed by former Trump White House cabinet member Linda McMahon. He serves as the political action committee’s Senior Advisor and Spokesman. The organization claims America was “held hostage” by an Obama administration that “sold, piece by piece…our hopes, dreams and values.”
Spicer also runs his own political consulting firm called RigWil.
He will continue to perform his function as the face of both companies, and as he told The Hollywood Reporter he’s not giving up anything.
“There’s nothing I’m stopping or giving up,” Spicer said, noting that ABC is “well aware of my job and what my companies do.”
THR notes Spicer “says he’s not restricted from political activity during his time on Dancing With the Stars.”
Spicer says, “I hope it will be a politics-free zone.”
The new season starts in mid-September, which puts Spicer in the unique position of being able to fundraise and advocate in support of re-electing Trump while his mere presence on TV – he is remembered as the face of the Trump administration – will effectively be a free “plug” for the Trump campaign.
In related and similar news, Fox News today hired former Trump press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders as a political contributor.
Top Trump Evangelical Advisor: Make Kids Scared of Jesus, Reject Abortion and Evolution to End Mass Shootings
During an appearance on Fox News this Thursday alongside Ethan Bearman of Left Coast News, megachurch pastor and Trump evangelical advisor Robert Jeffress pushed back against skepticism over the “thoughts and prayers” response to mass shootings commonly echoed by religious conservatives, saying that the solution lies in teaching children that God will hold them accountable for their actions.
In the segment which he shared on the YouTube channel for his church, Jeffress argued against the claim that evangelicals aren’t willing to find real-world solutions to gun violence, but added that “if we depend upon legislation alone to solve the gun problem, we’re going to be sadly disappointed.”
Speaking to Fox News host Shannon Bream, Jeffress, who is the pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, said “there is a spiritual component” to gun violence that should be addressed “not in place of legislation, but certainly alongside any proposed legislation.”
Bream then mentioned a recent op-ed by former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, who argued that mass shootings are “never going to end” unless America has a “reawakening of morality and values.”
Bearman responded that if that were the case, Western Europe, which is much more secular than the U.S., “would be suffering from far worse mass shootings that we are suffering.”
“It’s important that we remember that these weapons will kill dozens more people in the time that it took Cain to beat Abel to death with a stone,” Bearman said. “We need to remove those weapons from people’s hands so we’re not killing so rapidly.”
Jeffress fired back, saying he’s “not arguing that we shouldn’t do anything.”
“I think we all understand that the Second Amendment has limits to it, just like the First Amendment with free speech does,” he continued. “We don’t believe everybody has a right to have a nuclear weapon. We don’t believe that four-year-olds ought to have guns. I’m not arguing against legislation, but I’m saying that one thing we can do is to quit this devaluation of human life in our society that is seen by the glorification of violence in our culture, by the mass slaughter of a whole class of citizens — the unborn, by teaching our children that they’re nothing but an evolutionary accident instead of teaching our children that they are created by God, they are of value to God, and they are accountable to God for their actions.”
Watch the video below:
- AMERICA'S FASCIST PRESIDENT3 days ago
Read the Letter Trump’s Campaign Sent to TV Stations Threatening the FCC Could Pull Their Licenses Over Anti-Trump Ad
- AYKM?3 days ago
Fox News Host Blasted After Saying ‘People Are Dying, and I Realize That’ — but ‘Women…Can’t Get Their Nails Done’
- PLAYING GAMES WITH AMERICAN LIVES2 days ago
Trump Whiplashes From Saying We Don’t Need 40,000 Ventilators to Calling Them ‘Much Needed’ – Now He’s Threatening GM
- PEOPLE WILL DIE3 days ago
‘He Is Going to Override the Governors’: Outrage Over Trump Letter on ‘Increasing or Relaxing Social Distancing’
- THUG PRESIDENT2 days ago
Michigan Governor Says Medical Vendors ‘Being Told Not to Send Stuff’ to Her State — After Trump Bashed Her
- RELIGIOUS EXTREMISM3 days ago
Trump’s Cabinet Bible Study Leader Teamed Up With A Prayer Warrior to Pray Against ‘Evil Pork’ in Coronavirus Bill
- INCOMPETENCE2 days ago
‘He’s Killing Us’: Outrage as Trump Says Hospitals Need Just Two Ventilators and FEMA Balks Over Pricetag of Buying More
- OPINION2 days ago
One Month Ago Today Trump Said US Coronavirus Cases Would Soon Be ‘Close to Zero’ – We Just Beat China for the Most Cases