Connect with us

BREAKING NEWS

Feds Arrest Close Trump Pal Tom Barrack: Report

Published

on

Federal law enforcement authorities have arrested a top Trump friend and ally, Tom Barrack. The charges have yet to be unsealed, CNBC reports.

Barrack served as then-President Donald Trump’s chairman of his 2017 inaugural fund. The charges are not believed to be related to that fund.

“Few people are closer to Trump than Barrack, his friend for three decades,” an October, 2017 Washington Post article said of Barrack.

“Barrack as  Barrack helped rescue Trump’s real estate empire years ago. He was the top fundraiser for Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign. He turned down a Cabinet offer, preferring to be an outside adviser, although his name is still mentioned as a potential White House chief of staff should Trump decide to choose a new one. Above all, Barrack has remained unfailingly loyal to Trump, whom he sees as a shrewd politician.”

UPDATE:
NBC’s Tom  Winter reports charges include acting as an “agent” of a foreign government, “influencing the foreign policy positions of the Trump campaign in 2016” and lying to the FBI:

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

BREAKING NEWS

Biden Warns Putin on Hacking: US Will ‘Take Any Action Necessary’ to Protect America

Published

on

President Joe Biden issued a warning in a call to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday that the United States will “take any action necessary” to protect America, after a wave of Russia-based hacking against U.S. companies in recent weeks, including a $70 million ransomware attack, and reportedly an attack on the RNC.

“President Biden reiterated that the United States will take any necessary action to defend its people and its critical infrastructure in the face of this continuing challenge,” the White House says in a published readout of the call.

President Biden “spoke with President Putin about the ongoing ransomware attacks by criminals based in Russia that have impacted the United States and other countries around the world,” the White House adds.

“President Biden underscored the need for Russia to take action to disrupt ransomware groups operating in Russia and emphasized that he is committed to continued engagement on the broader threat posed by ransomware. President Biden reiterated that the United States will take any necessary action to defend its people and its critical infrastructure in the face of this continuing challenge.”

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Friday afternoon the call lasted about an hour.

The call comes just weeks after President Biden met face-to-face with Putin, and warned him to rein-in the Russian hackers, some of whom are reportedly Russian government actors.

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Tucker Carlson Was Trying to Get a Putin Interview – And May Have Been Talking to a Russian ‘Foreign Agent’: Report

Published

on

Fox News personality Tucker Carlson’s bombshell accusations from last week – that the National Security Agency was spying on him, reading his emails and intended to leak them to get him kicked off the air – remains in dispute, but an Axios report Wednesday evening reveals what he may have actually been concerned about.

Carlson, according to Axios’ Jonathan Swan, was attempting to get an interview with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and he may have been communicating with a Russian spy in that effort.

Citing experts, Swan reports one scenario, and the least likely, “is that the U.S. government submitted a request to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to monitor Carlson to protect national security.”

“A more plausible scenario is that one of the people Carlson was talking to as an intermediary to help him get the Putin interview was under surveillance as a foreign agent,” in other words, a Russian spy. “In that scenario, Carlson’s emails or text messages could have been incidentally collected as part of monitoring this person, but Carlson’s identity would have been masked in any intelligence reports.”

Swan goes on to say that two sources “familiar with Carlson’s communications said his two Kremlin intermediaries live in the United States, but the sources could not confirm whether both are American citizens or whether both were on U.S. soil at the time they communicated with Carlson.”

“This is relevant because if one of them was a foreign national and on foreign soil during the communications, the U.S. government wouldn’t necessarily have had to seek approval to monitor their communications.”

But CNN’s Oliver Darcy urges caution, reminding that Carlson claimed the NSA was trying to get his show canceled.

As Axios notes, plenty of American journalists have interviewed Putin, so that’s not a problem.

What Swan and Darcy don’t discuss is the most obvious question: what was in those emails (or other communications) to a Russian foreign agent that would make Carlson, a conspiracy theorist, white supremacist, and white nationalist, think would be so damaging that they could get his show canceled?

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Cuomo Declares Disaster Emergency on Gun Violence as a ‘Public Health Crisis’

Published

on

New York Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo has just issued an executive order declaring a “disaster emergency” on gun violence, calling it a “public health crisis.”

“Gun violence is a public health crisis, and we must treat it like one,” the governor says.

It’s not yet know the extent of the resources he plans to focus on the health crisis, but Cuomo is well-known for his handling of New York’s COVID health crisis.

He did announce he is signing legislation to reinstate liability for gun manufacturers.

The Gun Violence Archive as of the time of this publication lists 22,667 deaths from gun violence this year, 339 mass shootings, 783 children below the age of 18 killed by guns, and 2085 children injured.

UPDATE:
WRGB reports Cuomo says the State “will invest more than $57 million for the effort, which aims to create 21,000 jobs.”

 

This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. This story will be updated, and NCRM will likely publish follow-up stories on this news. Stay tuned and refresh for updates.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.