Connect with us

CHILDREN DON'T BELONG IN INTERNMENT CAMPS

Trump Administration Lied About Number of Kids It Separated at the Border – Maybe by the Thousands: Report

Published

on

The Trump administration appears to have lied about the number of migrant children it had separated at the border, despite months of focus on the atrocity by news organizations and activists around the world.

According to a Thursday report by The Intercept, the Trump administration “carried out thousands more family separations than previously acknowledged.” The government’s own data, the reporters say, “indicates that the campaign was far more expansive — and far more destructive — than previously acknowledged.”

Americans are used to hearing that about 2500 children were separated from their parents. That number is substantially larger.

From April 19, 2018 to August 15, 2018 – just under four months – U.S. Customs and Border Protection numbers say 6022 “family units,” which CBP refuses to define, were separated. A family unit could be one person in a family, or several members of a family, or an entire family. CBP will not say, The Intercept reports.

But it’s even worse.

TRUMP ADMINISTRATION’S LATEST ATTACK ON MIGRANT CHILDREN NATIONWIDE WILL RIP YOUR HEART OUT

“Using available statistics from the last two years,” Amnesty International also “reports that in 2017 and 2018, the Trump administration appears to have separated approximately 8,000 ‘family units’ along the border. Even if half of the people referred to in that figure were parents, the remaining 4,000 children would dwarf the total number of kids commonly reported to have been impacted by the “zero tolerance” campaign — that total tends to hover between 2,500 to 3,000.”

But the worst can be suspected.

“The closest Amnesty [International] could get to a clarification on the ‘family unit’ question,” the reports author sad, “was a claim from CBP that the 6,022 figure ‘appeared’ to refer to individuals.”

4000 is about 60 percent more than the 2500 generally reported. 6022 is far more than twice what Americans were told. 8000 is close to triple.

Alt-right hero Stephen Miller, a Senior Advisor to the President and the person responsible for crafting the child separation policy, early on said it was a “simple decision” to implement ripping children, some as young as two, apart from their parents.

RELATED STORIES:

WATCH: PROTESTORS ARE OUTSIDE KIRSTJEN NIELSEN’S HOME PLAYING AUDIO OF CRYING MIGRANT CHILDREN

TRUMP CALLS YOUNG MIGRANT CHILDREN LIARS – SUGGESTS THEY’RE CRISIS ACTORS

TRUMP DEFUNDING HIV/AIDS, CANCER, MENTAL HEALTH PROGRAMS – USING MONEY TO PAY FOR MIGRANT KIDS IN CAGES

 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 

CHILDREN DON'T BELONG IN INTERNMENT CAMPS

Trump Administration’s Latest Attack on Migrant Children Nationwide Will Rip Your Heart Out

Published

on

Hundreds of Migrant Children Are Being Ripped From Foster Homes and Bussed Overnight to Texas Tent Cities – With Almost No Notice – Every Week

The Trump administration is currently housing more than five times the number of migrant children than it was just one year ago. And it is scrambling to make room for more.

The New York Times reports that hundreds of migrant children who have been placed in foster homes or shelters across the country are being ripped from their new homes and shipped to tent cities in Texas. Tent cities that sound more like concentration camps than, as one Fox News anchor earlier this year called them, “summer camps.”

To make matters worse for the already psychologically scarred children, most of whom don’t know where their parents are and have not spoken with them for months, is they are being given at most a few hours notice that they are about to be “deported” to a new home – that’s more like a prison.

And federal officials are doing all this under cover of darkness, not allowing the children to say goodbye to any new friends or support systems they may have been able to create.

“In shelters from Kansas to New York, hundreds of migrant children have been roused in the middle of the night in recent weeks and loaded onto buses with backpacks and snacks for a cross-country journey to their new home: a barren tent city on a sprawling patch of desert in West Texas,” The New York Times reports.

Advocates are warning “that moving children to the tent city without providing enough time to prepare them emotionally or to say goodbye to friends could compound trauma that many are already struggling with.”

The Tent Cities Are Unregulated

Upon arrival to the tent cities – for which taxpayers spend $750 per night per child – the migrant children receive no schooling and have limited access to any legal representation.

“Hundreds of children are being shipped from shelters to West Texas each week, totaling more than 1,600 so far.”

Currently, the federal government is housing over 13,000 migrant children.

 

Continue Reading

CHILDREN DON'T BELONG IN INTERNMENT CAMPS

HHS Is Preparing to House 25,000 Migrant Kids – and Is Stealing Money from an HIV/AIDS Program to Pay for It

Published

on

The Dept. of Health and Human Services is tasked with housing all the migrant children separated from their undocumented parents as part of Trump’s “zero tolerance” policy. That policy may have permanently separated families – it’s been revealed there was never any plan to reunite the children with their parents and siblings, and now the feds are scrambling under court orders.

While the Health and Human Services Dept., headed by Secretary Alex Azar – a former big pharmaceuticals executive – showed exactly zero planning after Trump implemented his zero tolerance policy, the Office of Refugee Resettlement, which is part of HHS, has acted on a disturbing premise, and shown exactly where its priorities lie.

In what Slate is describing as a “budgeting exercise,” Secretary Azar’s Office of Refugee Resettlement is planning for a surge in migrant children being separated from their parents. The ORR has a plan to house 25,400 migrant children by the end of the year. And it is paying for the program by gutting another: The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, according to internal Office of Refugee Resettlement documents.

“The documents,” Slate reports, “indicate that HHS plans to pay for child separation by reallocating money from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, which, according to its website, ‘provides a comprehensive system of care that includes primary medical care and essential support services for people living with HIV who are uninsured or underinsured.’ Per the documents, the process of transferring those HIV/AIDS funds has already begun.”

HHS will also ask Congress for additional funds, and “plans to reallocate $79 million from programs for refugee resettlement, a move that could imperil social services, medical assistance, and English language instructions for refugees in the U.S., as well as programs for torture survivors.”

ORR says it will need $1.3 billion more to house migrant children, to cover the last three months of the year – that’s the entire amount allocated for all of 2018.

 

Continue Reading

CHILDREN DON'T BELONG IN INTERNMENT CAMPS

The Trump Administration Has Until Tomorrow to Reunite 102 Kids With Their Parents. They’ve Reunited 2.

Published

on

The Trump administration promised that it knew where all the children who were separated from their undocumented parents under its “zero tolerance” policy of splitting kids from their parents were. A federal judge ordered all migrant children separated at the Southern border be reunited with their parents and families, and gave the administration until Tuesday to reunite children five years and younger with their parents.

According to Talking Points Memo, the administration has successfully reunited just two children under five with their parents. It is not expected to meet Tuesday’s deadline.

“Southern District of California Judge Dana Sabraw held off on giving them an extension, and is instead demanding that they come back to court on Tuesday to explain how many families were reunited, why the government failed to reunite the rest by the deadline, and how much more time it will need for those cases,” TPM’s Alice Ollstein reports.

Justice Department attorney Sarah Fabien says she believes the administration will be able to reunite barely more than half of those the court had ordered returned to their parents, by the deadline. That would be just 56 in total, out of 102.

The ACLU has offered to help the government in its search for the parents of the children stolen from their parents.

Somewhere between 9 and 19 parents of children 5 or younger have already been deported.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.