Trump Guts All Foreign Aid to 3 Central American Nations – After DHS Chief Praises Them in ‘Historic’ Agreement
Total Humanitarian Aid to the 3 Countries in 2017 Less Than Taxpayers Have Spent on Trump’s Golfing Trips
Just days after Dept. of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen signed a “historic” agreement with Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador to combat illegal immigration into the United States, President Donald Trump has announced he is cutting all foreign humanitarian aid to those three countries.
Citing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the State Dept. on Saturday announced, “we are carrying out the President’s direction and ending FY 2017 and FY 2018 foreign assistance programs for the Northern Triangle,” the statement said, as The Hill reported. “We will be engaging Congress as part of this process.”
It appears there are divergent forces at work within the U.S. government.
“I would like to extend my profound gratitude to our Central American allies Honduras, Guatemala & El Salvador,” Homeland Security Secretary Nielsen said via Twitter on Thursday, “for their commitment to our common cause of secure borders & more orderly migration flows.”
Hours earlier on Thursday, apparently unaware that the DHS Security was in the Honduran capitol working on an agreement, Trump had tweeted: “Mexico is doing NOTHING to help stop the flow of illegal immigrants to our Country. They are all talk and no action. Likewise, Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador have taken our money for years, and do Nothing. The Dems don’t care, such BAD laws. May close the Southern Border!”
On Friday, ignoring the “historic” agreement Sec. Nielsen had signed with the three Central American nations, Trump, from Mar-a-Lago said, “We were paying them tremendous amounts of money. And we’re not paying them anymore. Because they haven’t done a thing for us. They set up these caravans,” CNN reports the President charged.
“That is just stupid. Ham-handed. Short-sighted. It is not going to create less immigrants…We have to understand that these countries are our neighbors” @ananavarro says as State Dept. tells CNN it’s cutting off aid to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras https://t.co/SglVURLO0o pic.twitter.com/48eDNJX8N5
— CNN (@CNN) March 30, 2019
The amount of U.S. foreign aid to the three nations is a paltry sum.
According to the federal government’s own USAID website, total aid from the U.S. to Guatemala was just $257 million. The current projection for U.S. aid to Guatemala is just $67 million.
Honduras in 2017 received a mere $181 million. The current projection for 2018 is only $31 million.
El Salvator received even less, just $118 million, with the 2018 projection coming in at $46 million.
In total, the U.S. gave those three countries just $556 million.
To put that in terms the President can understand, as of today President Trump has spent 176 days at s Trump golf course. While the costs for his trips to his New Jersey golf course, Bedminster, are not known, last month the Government Accountability Office, an official federal government agency, revealed each of Trump’s trips to Mar-a-Lago cost taxpayers $3.4 million.
176 golf club trips at that rate would total $598 million – far less than what the American taxpayers are spending to support the President’s lavish golf outings.
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Trump Swipes at Mark Zuckerberg Asking for White House Goodies: ‘He Didn’t Do Too Well’
Former President Donald J. Trump mocked Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and “big tech” during an interview on Tuesday when he appeared on Fox News with Sean Hannity.
Trump meandered throughout the interview and went off on a tangent claiming he did “big things” when discussing the 2020 election. Trump said Zuckerberg visited the White House “trying to get goodies,” but that “he didn’t do too well.”
Trump added, “So I thought that he was concerned we were doing things. We were doing things. Had we had a second term, we would have had that much, really, pretty much under control. We had some incredible things planned for big tech.”
Watch the video below.
Lincoln Project Trolls Trump with New TV Ad Where He’s Currently Vacationing
The conservative anti-Trump PAC Lincoln Project is launching an ad campaign in South Florida with the hopes that President Trump, who is currently vacationing in the region, will see them.
According to the Sun Sentinel, the group has bought air time in the West Palm Beach market from Wednesday through Jan. 5. Trump is scheduled to be in the area until Jan. 3.
“A major pillar of The Lincoln Project’s 2020 strategy was aiming to torment an audience of one — Trump — through advertising on cable shows he’s sure to watch on channels such as Fox News,” the Sentinel reports. “That’s the aim of the latest effort, which seeks to drive a wedge between Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, who will preside over the Jan. 6 joint session of Congress at which the electoral votes making Joe Biden the next president will be counted.”
The ad focuses on recent reports that say Vice President Mike Pence is “backing away” from Trumpworld’s efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election.
“When Mike Pence is backing away from you, you know it’s over,” the ad states.
Watch the ad below.
This is the ad that has @realDonaldTrump turning on @VP @Mike_Pence … it would be a real shame if he had to see this over and over and over again… pic.twitter.com/4tulp5m4OP
— The Lincoln Project (@ProjectLincoln) December 22, 2020
‘A Parting Gift to Dictators’: Trump Issues Final Round of Foreign Military Sales in Middle East
On Monday, writing for The Washington Post, columnist Brian Klaas tore into outgoing President Donald Trump for a final round of foreign military sales in the Middle East that function as a “parting gift to dictators” — and suggested he could even be using them to set up a private quid pro quo down the road in his post-presidency.
“All three regimes have abysmal human rights records,” wrote Klaas. “Saudi Arabia has beheaded dissidents, subjugated women and detained female activists who have pushed for reforms, and murdered and dismembered Post contributing columnist Jamal Khashoggi. The United Arab Emirates is home to torture, arbitrary detention and forced disappearances. Egypt’s dictatorship has carried
“Given past behavior, we know how these weapons will likely be used,” warned Klaas. “Despots will use them to help facilitate war crimes in places such as Yemen and the Sinai Peninsula while maintaining an iron grip over their own populations — all aided and abetted by the U.S. government.”
And even worse, Klaas argued, Trump himself could be using these sales to call in a personal favor from these countries in his post-presidency. “Once Trump leaves the White House, odds are good that he will cash in,” he wrote. “Seen in that light, the recently approved arms sales and military technology transfers are even more worrying. Are they just the beginning of a quid pro quo?”
All of this is occurring as President-elect Joe Biden alleges the Pentagon is obstructing him from getting all of the national security information he requires for the transition — something administration officials deny.
“For the past four years, Trump has painted the image of a United States that consistently sides with tyrants,” concluded Klaas. “Biden now has an opportunity to reverse Trump’s catastrophic foreign policy. He should take it.”
You can read more here.
- News3 days ago
‘Sure Wasn’t by Drag Queens’: DeSantis Slammed for Ignoring Florida Mass Shooting That Included Children
- News17 hours ago
‘Barking’: DeSantis Mocked as His Crew Races to Protect Him From Criticism After He Attacks Reporter
- News3 days ago
‘Republicans Got Outsmarted by a President Who Can’t Find His Pants’: GOP Congresswoman Throws Debt Ceiling Tantrum
- News2 days ago
‘Will Make a Great Trial Witness’: Experts Thrilled Jack Smith Is Investigating Trump’s Firing of Election Security Expert
- News2 days ago
‘Definitely a Yellow Flag’: DeSantis Campaign Rollout Could Endanger Iowa Megachurch’s Tax Status
- News3 days ago
McCarthy Says GOP Put Work Requirements in Debt Ceiling Bill for a Child ‘Sitting on the Couch Collecting Welfare’
- News2 days ago
‘I Don’t Want Reality’: Senate Republican Explodes Over Origin of Concept of Race – Calls to Teach ‘Jesus Loves Me’ Instead
- News2 days ago
‘It Has to Be Done’: These Are the House Republicans Open to Firing Kevin McCarthy as Speaker