Connect with us

NOPE

DOJ Applauds SCOTUS Transgender Troop Ban by Attacking Trans Soldiers as Risk to ‘Effectiveness and Lethality’

Published

on

The Department of Justice has decided to weigh in on Tuesday’s 5-4 vote by the U.S. Supreme Court to allow the Trump administration’s desired ban on transgender troops to go into effect. The DOJ, currently headed by Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker (photo) praised the Supreme Court’s move by attacking transgender troops, falsely claiming they are a risk to the military.

The Justice Dept. said in a statement that the policies it was fighting in the courts, which were created under the Obama administration, had posed “a risk to military effectiveness and lethality for over a year.”

There is no proof that allowing transgender troops to serve openly poses any risk to military effectiveness or lethality.

“We are pleased the Supreme Court granted stays in these cases, clearing the way for the policy to go into effect while litigation continues,” DOJ spokesperson Kerri Kupec said. Kupec previously was the spokesperson for the anti-LGBT hate group Alliance Defending Freedom.

“The Department of Defense has the authority to create and implement personnel policies it has determined are necessary to best defend our nation. Due to lower courts issuing nationwide injunctions, our military had been forced to maintain a prior policy that poses a risk to military effectiveness and lethality for over a year.”

Estimates vary widely but some studies have shown there are between over 10,000 to over 15,000 transgender troops serving in the U.S. Military.

Last year a YouGov/The Economist poll found one third of Americans (34%) opposed allowing transgender troops to serve openly, and almost half (49%) supported open service by transgender troops.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

NOPE

Meghan McCain Slammed for Suggesting Barbed Wire Fences Were Put Up Around Congress Because of Impeachment

Published

on

Meghan McCain is under fire for suggesting barbed wire fences were installed around the Capitol building to protect Congress during the impeachment of Donald Trump.

The protections, including 25,000 National Guard troops and “miles of 12-foot high fencing,” were installed in direct response to former President Trump’s MAGA supporters attacking the Capitol on January 6, after he incited an insurrection, ahead of the January 20 inauguration.

Many on social media expressed their anger at what they see is more conservative gaslighting:

 

Continue Reading

NOPE

Watch: Trump Dangerously Declares the US Engaged in ‘Unprecedented’ and ‘Illegal Spying’ on His Campaign

Published

on

President Donald Trump, emboldened by his hand-picked Attorney General’s false claim of “spying” by the U.S. Intelligence community on the Trump campaign, told reporters Thursday he agrees with William Barr.

“I think what he said was absolutely true,” President Trump said in the Oval Office. “There was absolutely spying into my campaign. I’ll go a step further — in my opinion it was illegal spying, unprecedented spying, and something that should never be allowed to happen in our country again.”

Trump described Attorney General’s remarks before the U.S. Senate, characterizing a judge-warranted counterintelligence investigation as “spying,” as “very accurate.”

It is a clear attempt to discredit the FBI and the Mueller report, and criminalize the agents, investigators, and officials involved. It also ties back to Trump’s entirely unfounded lie that President Barack Obama “wiretapped” him. An Inspector General’s review found zero evidence to support that libelous attack, which Trump tweeted about two years ago.

Attorney General Barr did walk back his remarks slightly, after being informed there is a perceptible difference between “spying,” which evokes an illegal context, and a counterintelligence investigation, which is the actual job of the FBI and other intelligence agencies.

Barr also said it remains to be seen if the investigation was warranted.

 

Continue Reading

NOPE

Enraged, Trump Attacks: ‘Obama Separated the Children – ‘I’m the One That Stopped It’

Published

on

President Donald Trump charged his predecessor with separating families and putting children in cages, but insisted he was the one who stopped it.

The President is lying, as the AP and ABC News have previously reported.

The Trump administration, under Stephen Miller, created the “zero tolerance” policy of separating families at the border and caging children with the direct intention of deterring people from Central America attempting to come to the United States. He called it a “simple decision.”

Asked about separating children – a policy Trump has been demanding for months his now-fired Secretary of homeland Security start up again, despite being illegal – Trump initially refused to answer.

About 30 seconds later Trump spoke as reporters were being coralled out of the Oval Office.

Related: Trump Alt-Right Aide Stephen Miller Behind ‘Simple Decision’ to Rip Migrant Children From Parents

“Obama separated the children,” Trump charged angrily. “Just so you understand.”

“President Obama,” Trump said harshly, stressing the former president’s name, “separated the children. Those cages that were shown. I think they were very inappropriate. They were built by president Obama’s administration – not by Trump.”

“President Obama,” Trump said in staccato, “had child separation.”

“I’m the one that stopped it.”

“And I’ll tell you, once you don’t have it, that’s why you see many more people coming. They’re coming like it’s a picnic – ‘Let’s go to Disneyland.'”

That too is false – studies show the policy was not effective.

MSNBC aired the clip and announced President Trump was incorrect.

Watch:

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.