Connect with us

CREEP

GOP Nominee Caught in ‘Creepy as Hell’ Video Says He Doesn’t Remember – Labels It a ‘Poor Attempt’ at Humor

Published

on

Michigan’s Attorney General and the Republican nominee to become his state’s governor says he doesn’t remember appearing in a 1989 video clip that resurfaced Thursday. Bill Schuette insists that what is being called “creepy as hell” behavior was just a “poor attempt” at humor.

In the video, which apparently is an outtake from an interview in which a camerawoman or producer asks him to move closer to a lamp, Schuette responded saying, “I will do anything you want. Some things I may not let you run the camera on, but I will certainly happily.”

Schuette was 35 and a U.S. Congressman at the time he made his apparently misogynistic remarks.

“That apparently was my poor attempt to be humorous 30 years ago,” Schuette said in a statement to The Detroit Free Press. “The video, which appears to be edited with only one short portion shown, has been in the public domain for some time. It’s fortunate for me that Cynthia came into my life and let me know that I am not a very funny guy, but this is no less embarrassing to me today and I regret it.”

His regret appears to be insufficient to some.

EARLIER: ‘I THINK I NEED A SHOWER’: INTERNET TOTALLY GROSSED OUT OVER THIS ‘CREEPY’ VIDEO OF GOP ATTORNEY GENERAL

“A spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood’s political action committee said the remarks, directed at a female TV camerawoman, are an example of the ‘creepy behavior’ working women have to put up with all the time,” the Detroit Free Press added.

Lori Carpentier, of the Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan PAC, issued a statement Thursday that said: “Every day, women go to work and try to do their jobs while dealing with creepy behavior like this. It wasn’t funny then. It’s not funny now.”

Former Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer, Schuette’s Democratic opponent, said she imagines “everyone who’s watched it had the same uncomfortable look on our faces.” She said it’s more troubling that Schuette has spent his political career “attacking the rights of women and working to take away our access to contraception and health care.”

Not only has Schuette been attacking the rights of women, he has been at the center of attempts to quash marriage equality for years.

As NCRM reported Thursday, this past July Schuette, in his official capacity as Attorney General, claimed Michigan’s civil rights laws do not ban anti-LGBT discrimination.

In 2015 Schuette had to be ordered by a federal court to legally recognize the marriages of more than 300 same-sex couples which had been legally performed in the state, after having claimed they “never existed.” He previously had announced their marital rights were “suspended.”

And maybe even worse, one year earlier, Attorney General Schuette in a case against same-sex marriage put on the stand a witness who told the court gay people are going to hell.

RELATED STORIES:

GUESS HOW MUCH FIGHTING SAME-SEX MARRIAGE JUST COST THE STATE OF MICHIGAN?

MICHIGAN CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS DO NOT BAN ANTI-LGBT DISCRIMINATION SAYS ATTORNEY GENERAL SEEKING HIGHER OFFICE

MICHIGAN ATTORNEY GENERAL ASKS STATE SUPREME COURT TO BLOCK RECOUNT TO PROTECT VOTERS’ ‘VOICE’

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CREEP

‘Caught Red Handed’: Pompeo Thought He Was Acting Tough by Releasing Letter Attacking House Dems – It Hasn’t Gone Well

Published

on

“You are co-conspirator & a traitor to the country. You will resign or be impeached within months.”

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is under fire after responding to a letter from the House Foreign Affairs Committee requesting State Dept. officials sit for depositions as they build an impeachment case against his boss, President Donald Trump.

Pompeo, currently in Italy with former Trump White House official, conspiracy theorist (and alleged neo-Nazi) Sebastian Gorka, working to subvert more than a dozen CIA and FBI investigations into President Trump, decided strong-arm the Democrats. Attorney General Bill Barr was there last week on the same mission, and it was not his first time doing so.

The Secretary, despite having no legal standing or basis to do so, banned his officials from being deposed. And he falsely accused Democrats of trying to “intimidate” and “bully” State Dept. officials.

(It’s important to note that Pompeo was among the Republican Congressmen who forced Hillary Clinton to testify before Congress for over 11 hours for their the conspiracy theory-laden Benghazi investigation.)

As The Washington Post reports Tuesday, Pompeo and Barr “are increasingly implicated in the impeachment inquiry.”

Pompeo tweeted out his two-page letter, and was immediately mocked, ridiculed, and berated.

Among those who decided they were not going to take Pompeo’s smug authoritarianism and bullying lying down were Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT), who rightly told the Secretary of State he’s been caught “red handed.”

Others:

 

Continue Reading

CREEP

Ninth Wrestler Comes Forward to Say Jordan ‘Snickered’ When He Complained of Sexual Abuse: Report

Published

on

There are now reportedly nine former Ohio State wrestlers who all say then-assistant coach Jim Jordan, now a powerful Republican U.S. Congressman, had to have known the team’s doctor was sexually abusing wrestlers. The latest is now saying categorically that he told Rep. Jordan he had been sexually assaulted by the team physician. Jordan “snickered” when he told him.

Seven of the nine have given their names. At least five say they themselves were assaulted by the doctor, Richard Strauss. Others say they witnessed abuse or that it was common knowledge.

Rep. Jordan has repeatedly offered different denials, including one suggesting the stories of sexual assault were just “locker room” talk, suggesting that if a formal complaint was not filed it never happened or he did not consider that to be sufficient evidence for him to “know” about it.

“Jim Jordan knew. He didn’t do anything about it,” the former wrestler told CNN in a report published Tuesday. That report notes that the former wrestler, who has requested anonymity, supported Jordan, “when he first ran for office, despite identifying as a Democrat. He remembers directly telling Jordan about Strauss’ behavior.”

“I remember coming up and saying, ‘Strauss held my balls longer than normal.’ He just snickered.”

CNN reports the account from this latest wrestler to step forward includes a “time when he went into the wrestling room at OSU and a few athletes and Jordan were ‘clumped together.’ He said he remembered saying, ‘something to the effect of ‘his hands are cold as s**t; he checked out every hair on my ball,” and said Jordan replied, ‘I have nothing to do with this’ and walked away.”

“He’s sitting here and directly lying,” the former wrestler says.
CNN’s story does not state the number of wrestlers who have accused Jordan of knowing yet ignoring the sexual abuse, but “five of the accusers say they ‘like’ Jordan, several consider him a friend, and one even donated to his election campaign,” AmericaBlog, which has published a very detailed summary and timeline of the accusations, reports, putting the number at nine.
Image by Gage Skidmore via Flickr and a CC license
Continue Reading

CREEP

Ex-Con and US Senate Candidate Don Blankenship Now Threatening to Run for President

Published

on

Don Blankenship served just a year in prison for conspiracy after 29 people died in one of his coal mines. Now he’s running to become the Republican nominee for the U.S. Senate in West Virginia. If he wins today’s GOP primary he’ll face Democratic Senator Joe Manchin, the state’s former governor.

Blankenship is under fire for a horrific campaign. Racism is its most recent feature, stemming from an ad in which he uses the terms “China people,” and “Cocaine Mitch,” and insists it’s not racist by using the word “Negro.”

A multi-millionaire, Blankenship has spent over a million dollars of his own money to fund his campaign.

According to reports, if he doesn’t win the GOP nomination, he may run as an independent. He can certainly afford to. But recent internal polls show that may not happen – Blankenship is currently leading in the three-way race for the nomination.

Blankenship is calling himself “Trumpier than Trump.” Whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Meanwhile, it appears the 68-year old may not be satisfied with winning – or losing – a U.S. Senate seat.

In a just-published profile from The New Yorker, Carolyn Kormann discusses her interaction with Blankenship after attending a rally for supporters last week at a local West Virginia restaurant

After the town hall ended, Blankenship left Macado’s alone. I had more questions and said I’d follow him out. “In another situation, that wouldn’t be a bad thing,” he said, holding the door for me. “But I don’t think that’s what you had in mind.”

That certainly sounds creepy – not to mention he’s engaged to be married.

We stepped into the parking lot. “You’re not allowed to see my car,” he said. “It’s got Nevada plates.” (Blankenship’s opponents have criticized him for spending most of his time at his home in Las Vegas, where his fiancée lives.) As he looked for his keys, he began telling me about how he used to travel around the country with his son, who competes professionally in rally-car races. “I can’t drive across state lines,” he said. “Until Wednesday!” The day after the primary, his year-long probation will end.

Suddenly, Blankenship turned to me and said, “Are you a bad person?” I try not to be, I replied. “Well, most reporters are bad people,” he said. “But maybe they don’t know it.” We exchanged business cards. He told me to hold on to his for when he’s President. “If Trump gets in my way, I’ll just run against him,” he said.

Yes, the racist convicted criminal who’s supposedly “Trumpier than Trump” is now threatening to run for president – against Trump.

Image by Rainforest Action Network via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.