Connect with us

News

News President Trump and First Lady ‘Sleep on Separate Floors’ Sparks Wide Range of Reactions: ‘Quid Pro Quo Marriage’

Published

on

An unauthorized biography of Melania Trump offers insight into the very private First Lady, including that she and her husband not only sleep in separate bedrooms but on separate floors.

CNN reports “Free, Melania: The Unauthorized Biography,” reveals that this First Lady is “way more powerful and influential with her husband than you might think,” and her “relationship with Ivanka Trump isn’t as chummy as it was pre-White House.”

But it was this tweet from CNN’s Brian Stelter that has drawn a lot of responses – some good, some bad – on social media:

Some note that there appears to be no mention of the fact that Melania Trump is (or was) a birther. She advanced her husband’s lies about President Barack Obama not being born in America, which is a lie.

Some noted that the Obamas were practically under a 24/7 media microscope, and if this story had been about them or the Clintons it would have garnered weeks of Fox News coverage:

Some said, “who cares?”

Some blasted CNN for reporting the story:

While some just mocked the President:

 

Image: Official White House Photo by Andrea Hanks via Flickr

There's a reason 10,000 people subscribe to NCRM. You can get the news before it breaks just by subscribing, plus you can learn something new every day.
Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

News

‘Political Survival’ Fears Driving Senate GOP to ‘Breaking Point’ With Trump: Report

Published

on

This has been a challenging week for Senate Republicans, and they are reaching a “breaking point” with President Donald Trump over fears for their own “political survival,” reports Punchbowl News.

One prominent Senate Republican had just lost his primary race to a Trump-backed opponent when the president snubbed another prominent Senate Republican to endorse his ultra-MAGA rival in Texas — leading to fears the Democratic candidate could win that longtime red seat.

Then on Thursday, Senate Republicans met with Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche for nearly two hours. Reporters said it did not go well. Republicans are furious over not just the president’s $1.8 billion compensation fund for alleged victims of DOJ weaponization during the Biden administration — but also for the timing the White House chose to announce it, disrupting their efforts to pass a critical reconciliation bill so thoroughly Majority Leader John Thune sent them home.

“Eventually,” Punchbowl reports, “Senate Republicans were going to prioritize their own political survival over President Donald Trump’s wants and needs. They have. But it just might be too late.”

READ MORE: Targeted by Trump Senator Scorches President’s Pet Project

Now, some say, the prospect of the GOP losing control of the Senate seems more likely than it did just a few months ago.

“Many Republicans fear Trump is determined to bring them down with him — along with their shared legislative agenda,” Punchbowl observed. “Senate Republican leaders are now coming to grips with the reality that advancing Trump’s priorities may be in conflict with their efforts to retain the majority.”

Punchbowl cites an “erosion of good will” between Senate Republicans and Trump that has been “building steadily for months over campaign strategy disputes, uneven White House messaging and Trump’s attempts to get rid of the filibuster.”

The White House “isn’t making life easier” for Capitol Hill Republicans.

Some see the president’s actions as severely limiting the Republicans’ ability to pass their agenda — and his.

Political journalist Isaac Saul this week noted that Trump has successfully managed to oust several congressional Republicans — with one more possibility on the way — but by doing so he has severely imperiled his critical majority in the U.S. Senate.

“One understated reality of what Trump has done: He basically just nuked his Senate majority for the next six months,” wrote Saul.

The enmity between the Senate GOP and the White House has become so great that one reporter on Thursday point-blank asked Trump if he is “losing control” over Senate Republicans.

“I don’t know,” Trump replied. “I really don’t know.”

READ MORE: Ex-Republican Pundit Has a Strategy to Defeat Trump and the GOP

 

Image via Shutterstock 

Continue Reading

News

‘Galactic Blunder’: Republicans Furious Over Timing of Trump’s $1.8 Billion Fund

Published

on

Senate Republicans had already grown vocal in their opposition to President Donald Trump’s unprecedented $1.8 billion fund to compensate alleged victims of Justice Department “weaponization” during the Biden years. After a nearly two-hour meeting Thursday with Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche that participants described as “incredibly hostile,” their opposition hardened — and the reasons why became clearer.

U.S. Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) spoke with CNN’s Manu Raju on Thursday, and denounced the legislative strategy behind the $1.8 billion fund — but not the fund itself.

“Ron Johnson told me the Trump administration should have focused on getting ICE/CBP bill passed and the decision to unveil $1.8B fund now (when they’re trying to pass the bill) was a giant mistake,” Raju reported.

“Somebody described it as a galactic blunder, and I think that’s probably true,” Johnson told the CNN anchor.

“Similar sentiment among GOP leadership,” the Washington Examiner’s Ramsey Touchberry added, “who feel [the] situation is a mess of the admin’s own making and Blanche meeting/WH guidance on anti-weaponization fund made it worse, per source.”

“Lots of frustration among Senate Republicans over the timing of the anti-weaponization fund — and the fund itself,” the Washington Post’s Riley Beggin noted. “One GOP aide told me about half of Senate Rs don’t like it.”

Mediaite notes that “NOTUS’s Reese Gorman reported on the Republicans not being ‘happy’ with the Trump administration over the fund, which critics are slamming as a massive ‘slush fund’ to pay Trump allies and donors.”

“They have f—— this up on too many levels to count,” a senior GOP Senate aide told Gorman, Mediaite reports. “The only thing more toxic than demanding taxpayers foot the bill for a billion-dollar ballroom is demanding taxpayers give billions of dollars to J6 rioters.”

Axios adds that U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) told reporters that the $1.8 billion fund was dropped like “a bomb in the middle of a pretty well planned out reconciliation bill.”

Politico reported Thursday that Blanche had struggled “to quash GOP concerns” surrounding the fund. “Blanche met privately with Senate Republicans as the administration and GOP leaders tried to defuse the controversy over the fund.”

 

Image via Shutterstock

Continue Reading

News

‘Go Home USA’: Greenlanders Protest New American Consulate as PM Snubs Opening

Published

on

Thursday’s opening of a new U.S. consulate in Greenland‘s capital city of Nuuk did not go well for the Americans, as protesters swamped the street, according to video posted by Orla Joelsen, a native Greenlander and prison official in Nuuk.

“Go home USA!” participants could be heard chanting.

At least one protester held up a sign that read, “Greenland is not for sale!

It’s been a difficult week for Americans in Nuuk.

The Prime Minister of Greenland, Jens-Frederik Nielsen, said he would not attend Thursday’s opening of the new consulate.

“We haven’t made a decision in principle, but I won’t participate,” the prime minister told the Greenlandic news outlet Sermitsiaq, according to a Google translation.

President Donald Trump’s Special Envoy to Greenland, Louisiana Republican Governor Jeff Landry, touched down in Nuuk on Sunday, saying he arrived “simply to build relationships,” and to “see if there are opportunities” to expand them.

His appeal to several young Greenlanders, free chocolate chip cookies if they traveled to visit him, was met with a poor response.

“If you come to Louisiana,” Governor Landry said, “and you come to the governor’s mansion — all the chocolate chip cookies you can eat.”

But Prime Minister Nielsen on Monday said Greenland would not become part of the U.S., “no matter how many ‘chocolate cookies’ we get,” according to the Times-Picayune.

The relationship between Greenland and the United States has been tense since President Donald Trump began his campaign to have the U.S. take over the autonomous territory that is part of Denmark. Trump at times has threatened to use force to secure Greenland, even saying he would do so the “easy way” or “the hard way.”

“We’re not gonna have Russia or China occupy Greenland, and that’s what they’re gonna do if we don’t,” Trump said in January. “So we’re gonna be doing something with Greenland, either the nice way or the more difficult way.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 AlterNet Media.