Connect with us

FRAUD

Elections Board Finds Evidence of ‘Coordinated’ Fraud to Support Anti-LGBT Preacher’s Election to Congress

Published

on

There are supposed to be 435 Members of Congress, but one of those seats is empty. The North Carolina elections board is refusing to certify the election of Republican Mark Harris after stunning irregularities led to an investigation of his slim 905-vote lad over Democrat Dan McCready.

Kim Strach, the executive director of the North Carolina State Board of Elections “revealed Monday that state officials had uncovered a ‘coordinated’ and ‘unlawful’ effort to collect absentee ballots on behalf of” Harris, HuffPost reports.

At a public hearing Monday, Strach “said investigators had evidence that McCrae Dowless, a political operative working on behalf of the Harris campaign, filled out and mailed in incomplete or blank ballots from both his office and home. She said Dowless paid people in cash to collect requests for absentee ballots and the ballots themselves. The state board also has evidence, she said, that Dowless paid people to falsify signatures on absentee ballots indicating that they had witnessed those ballots being filled out.”

Dowless “is a convicted felon who faced jail time for fraud and perjury,” The Charlotte-Observer reported in December. One woman told a local reporter Dowless paid her to collect absentee ballots, which is illegal. She had said she was not aware it was illegal because Dowless had been doing it for years. The woman, Cheryl Kinlaw, said Dowless “had stacks” of absentee ballots on his desk.

Strach said Harris, who is a far right wing anti-LGBT North Carolina preacher, paid Dowless $131,275.

Harris, according to Right Wing Watch’s Peter Montgomery, “has a track record of opposing LGBTQ equality and abortion rights. Harris was an ally of the anti-LGBTQ Benham brothers in opposition to a Charlotte nondiscrimination law, and he was a driving force behind the campaign that put a ban on same-sex couples getting married into the state constitution; his First Baptist Church contributed more than $50,000 to the campaign. Harris, who says being gay is ‘a choice,’ has said the anti-equality amendment was not about discrimination but about ‘standing up for the values and principles that have been a part of the fabric of American society.'”

Last year First Lady Karen Pence actively campaigned for Harris.

RELATED STORIES:

US HOUSE CANDIDATE LONGS FOR THE DAY WHEN ‘HOMOSEXUALITY WAS CRIMINALIZED’ – SAYS CHRISTIANITY NOW IS

GOP HOPEFUL HARRIS SAYS WIVES SHOULD SUBMIT

KAREN PENCE IS CAMPAIGNING FOR A CANDIDATE WHO LONGS FOR THE DAYS WHEN IT WAS A CRIME TO BE GAY

 

Image by Mark Harris via YouTube 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

FRAUD

‘Zero Credibility’: Legal Experts Blast ‘Religious Zealot’ Bill Barr for Politicizing Trump’s Poor Pandemic Performance

Published

on

Attorney General Bill Barr is getting blasted for a highly-partisan interview he gave to Fox News. Barr’s role as the nation’s chief law enforcement officer is seen as sacrosanct by the American people, who believe the wall between the head of the Dept. of Justice and politics should never be cracked.

The AG attacked the press for waging a “jihad” against Trump’s promotion of an unproven malaria drug, hydroxychloroquine, to battle COVID-19, despite it not having been approved, or even appropriately tested for that purpose. And he described President Donald Trump’s early handling of the impending coronavirus pandemic as “statesman-like,” which is false. Numerous reports show Trump was far more aware of how fatal the coronavirus could be and just how much it could disrupt the globe.

“The politicization of decisions like hydroxychloroquine has been amazing to me,” Barr told Fox News host Laura Ingraham. “Before the president said anything about it, there was ‘fair and balanced’ coverage of this very promising drug, and the fact that it had such a long track record that the risks were pretty well known, and as soon as he said something positive about it, the media’s been on a jihad to discredit the drug. It’s been quite strange.”

“It’s very disappointing,” Barr also said, “because I think the president went out at the beginning of [the coronavirus pandemic] and really was statesmanlike, trying to bring people together, working with all the governor. Keeping his patience as he as he got these snarky, gotcha questions from the White House media pool and the stridency of the partisan attacks on him has gotten higher and higher.”

That’s false. The media has worked to inform the public that the drug can be dangerous, and even deadly, when inappropriately used. And reporters have tried to let the public know that reports of the drug’s supposed success in treating the deadly virus has been mostly anecdotal.

Here’s one portion of the interview:

Many legal experts are furious.

CNN Legal Analyst, former federal and state prosecutor:

Former SDNY Federal Prosecutor:

Attorney and commentator:

Managing editor, Lawfareblog:

Attorney, columnist, pundit:

CNN Chief National Security Correspondent:

MSNBC Justice & Security Analyst, former DOJ spokesman:

Former Justice Department prosecutor:

Conservative think tank scholar:

Professor at the U.S. Naval War College:

Supreme Court reporter for The Economist:

 

Continue Reading

FRAUD

Donald Trump Jr and Ivanka Knowingly Defrauded Condo Buyers — and Wriggled Out of Prosecution, New Book Charges

Published

on

“Coordinated, deliberate and knowing effort to deceive buyers”

President Donald Trump’s two eldest children knowingly took part in a fraud scheme to sell luxury condominiums, according to a new book about the family’s business.

The family’s dealings around the Trump SoHo project fell under criminal investigation, which was dropped in 2011, but the new book American Oligarchs: The Kushners, The Trumps And The Marriage Of Money And Power reveals email correspondence that appears to show Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump engaged in fraud, reported The Guardian.

“(Email evidence) showed a coordinated, deliberate and knowing effort to deceive buyers,” wrote journalist and author Andrea Bernstein. “In one email, the Trumps discussed how to coordinate false information they had given to prospective buyers. Because the sales levels had been overstated at the beginning of the sales process, any statement showing a lower level could reveal the untruths.”

Trump previewed the 46-story tower in lower Manhattan during a 2006 episode of NBC’s “The Apprentice,” but sales proved disappointing — especially after business partner Felix Sater’s criminal past was revealed.

Only about 15 percent to 30 percent of the units had been sold by the start of 2009, according to figures filed with state and federal agencies, but the future president’s children presented a rosier picture in public.

Ivanka Trump told Reuters in June 2008 that 60 percent of them had been sold, and Trump Jr. told Real Deal magazine in April 2009 that 55 percent of units had sold, according to Bernstein.

Buyers later sued Trump, complaining that they had been defrauded by inflated sales claims, and the Manhattan district attorney’s office then began a criminal investigation of the case.

The Trump feared the damning evidence they left behind in their email correspondence, which was first revealed by ProPublica in 2017.

“According to a person who read them, the Trumps worried that a reporter might be on to them,” Bernstein wrote. “In yet another email chain that included Don Jr. and Ivanka, the younger generation of Trumps issued the email equivalent of a knowing chuckle, saying that nobody would ever find them out, because only people on the email chain or in the Trump Organization knew about the deception.”

One person who read the mails told Bernstein there was “no doubt” Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump “approved, knew of, agreed to, and intentionally inflated the numbers to make more sales.”

Continue Reading

FRAUD

Appeals Court Rules Against President – Refuses to Block House Subpoena for Trump’s Financial Records

Published

on

A Second Circuit Court of Appeals panel has just refused a motion from President Donald Trump asking it to block a House subpoena for his financial records. The subpoena orders two entities, Deutsche Bank and Capital One, to hand over Trump’s financial documents.

The Washington Post reports the court’s ruling states “the public interest favors denial” of the president’s requested injunction.

The court has stayed its decision for seven days to give Trump time to request an extension.

This is the second time a federal appeals curt has refused to block a request for Trump’s financial documents.

This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. This story will be updated, and NCRM will likely publish follow-up stories on this news. Stay tuned and refresh for updates.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.