President Donald Trump, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, and White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders have been pushing a total lie. Their claim: Over 3000, or, as Huckabee Sanders told Fox News Sunday, “nearly 4000 known or suspected terrorists come into our country illegally and we know that our most vulnerable point of entry is at our southern border.”
SANDERS: “We know that ~4,000 known or suspected terrorists come into our country illegally and we know that our most vulnerable point of entry is at our southern border.”
WALLACE: “Do you know where those 4,000 people..where they’re captured? Airports.”pic.twitter.com/S1EzXczFmt
— JM Rieger (@RiegerReport) January 6, 2019
The claim that 4000, or nearly 4000 terrorists, or suspected terrorists, were captured at the southern border is a total lie.
The goal: $5.7 billion so Trump can fulfill a campaign promise to build his wall. (The $5.7 billion is only a downpayment.)
And now, thanks to NBC News’ Julia Ainsley, we can prove it’s a total lie.
“U.S. Customs and Border Protection encountered only six immigrants on the U.S-Mexico border in the first half of fiscal year 2018 whose names were on a federal government list of known or suspected terrorists, according to CBP data as of May 2018 obtained by NBC News,” she reports.
When confronted with this fact, that just six people were confronted (NBC doesn’t even say arrested, just approached,) Nielsen doubled-down and defended her lie:
Nielsen, speaking to reporters earlier, seemed to indicate that — whatever the numbers so far — the government must act out of an abundance of caution:
“We have to get it right every day,” she said. “One terrorist is too many.”
— Eli Stokols (@EliStokols) January 7, 2019
The news exploded on social media, causing instant anger and mockery directed towards President Trump and his administration, barely more than 24 hours before he is expected to address the nation on the border “crisis.”
Terrorists are not flooding our Southern Border.
There isn’t a national emergency.
Mexico didn’t pay for a wall.
Refugee children are dying at the hands of Trump’s deportation force.
Pres. Trump is throwing a tantrum, flat out making things up, & holding the government hostage. https://t.co/I1cTGUlRR3
— Senator Bob Menendez (@SenatorMenendez) January 7, 2019
4000. Or 6.
Maybe they were rounding up to the nearest 4000? https://t.co/HSTHaM98B7
— Rachel Maddow MSNBC (@maddow) January 7, 2019
…and what it is really all about.
There is no sudden “crisis” at the border. That is why the Trumpers keep lying about terrorists.
There is a crisis for Trump’s ego: He started a fight to get cheers from Fox, Limbaugh and Coulter, with no idea how to get out. Ego is all. https://t.co/yOkD9WoSsz
— Kurt Eichenwald (@kurteichenwald) January 7, 2019
$950 million per suspected terrorist! https://t.co/mfBorVvkVM
— Evan Rosenfeld (@Evan_Rosenfeld) January 7, 2019
Six… I can see how that could easily be construed to be 4,000.
— Republican American (@RepAmWatch) January 7, 2019
— Lia 💙💙💙 (@LietjeMcCloud) January 7, 2019
The only national emergency is we have a president stoking racial tensions to sate his racist base and distract from his misdeeds…all the while being defended by a GOP that at best doesn’t know the secrets they’re helping hide, or worse doesn’t care…
— This isn’t hard (@BradCNct) January 7, 2019
Wrong. The best way to read it: Border authorities encountered 6 with names sufficiently similar to one of the hundreds of thousands on multiple US Government watchlists. Senator Ted Kennedy, whose name resembled a watchlist entry, would have told you how fool-proof this is. https://t.co/wKbrlpB0Rn
— Ned Price (@nedprice) January 7, 2019
— Francesca1225✡♋🌊🇺🇸 (@frannie1225) January 7, 2019
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Marco Rubio: ‘Not a Crime’ to Break Federal Law by Taking Top Secret National Security Documents From the White House
In a rare Fox News moment, host Bret Baier reported that many are concerned about the lack of Republican “alarm” over Donald Trump absconding with at least 15 cartons of documents and other items, some of which were classified, or even “top secret” classified, and storing them in his suite at Mar-a-Lago, compared to the massive coverage the media gave the Hillary Clinton email story.
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), who is the Ranking Member on the Intelligence Committee, and also serves on the Foreign Relations Committee, responded by saying “it’s not a crime” to break federal law – the Presidential Records Act of 1978, in this case, by removing the documents or flushing them down the toilet.
It seems odd that the Ranking Member of the Senate Intelligence Committee would be unaware of federal laws about retention of presidential documents, especially handling of classified and top-secret national security documents.
The Florida Republican also suggested Trump had turned over all the missing documents, which is false.
Rubio began by claiming he doesn’t know what’s true because “they” have made up so many stories about Trump “over the years.”
He goes on to suggest, apparently erroneously, that Hillary Clinton’s treatment of classified documents was pleaded in a federal court case.
Rubio: The documents that were at Mar-a-Lago by all accounts were turned over. Look if the process wasn’t followed then there needs to be something that happens about that. It’s not a crime I don’t believe pic.twitter.com/gFMxqSBxHE
— Acyn (@Acyn) February 14, 2022
‘That’s a Lie!’ MSNBC’s Hayes Destroys Kayleigh McEnany for Blatantly False Claim About Trump’s COVID Tests
MSNBC host Chris Hayes on Thursday night played a clip of then-White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany discussing former President Donald Trump’s timeline of COVID-19 test results after he was diagnosed with the virus last year.
Hayes played the clip during a report on former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows’s claim that Trump tested positive for COVID-19 on Sept. 26, prior to his first debate with President Joe Biden.
“All of the evidence points to Trump having COVID, knowing he had COVID, and spending a week spreading it around while covering it up and refusing to admit he’s sick,” Hayes concluded.
He went on to recall that after Trump finally announced he had COVID on Oct. 2, White House officials were “so sketchy” about when he had last tested negative — and then he played the clip of McEnany “trying to evade this simple question” on Oct. 4.
McEnany was responding to a reporter’s question about whether Trump had been tested prior to the debate on Sept. 29, or before a fundraiser in Bedminster, New Jersey, on Oct. 1.
“I’m not going to give you a detailed readout with timestamps of every time the president is tested,” McEnany said. “He’s tested regularly, and the first positive test he received was after his return from Bedminster.”
“Again, I’m not giving a detailed readout of his testing, but it’s safe to say his first positive test was upon return, or at least after, Bedminster, that trip,” McEnany added.
“That’s a lie. We now know, that’s a lie. That clip there is a lie,” Hayes said, recalling that at the time, “the squirrelliness around this was hard to ignore.”
PBS News White House correspondent Yamiche Alcindor agreed, saying, “When I watched Kayleigh lie there, it just reminded me of all the different times she lied, so many times, from the podium, from the White House lawn, from the stakeout location where she is in that clip.”
“It really just underscores that this was an administration that was never really playing it straight with the American people,” Alcindor said.
Trump Issues Stunningly False Statement Criticizing Biden for ‘Attack’ on US Oil Reserves
Donald Trump, the disgraced, former president who is reportedly planning a third campaign, on Tuesday released an exceptionally false statement criticizing President Joe Biden for taking action to combat increasing gas and home heating oil prices.
President Biden Tuesday morning announced he has authorized 50 million barrels of oil to be sold from the U.S. Strategic Oil Reserves, a move that should help lower oil and gas prices that have risen because of OPEC+ policies. Biden is making the move in conjunction with similar moves by five other countries: China, India, Japan, South Korea and the U.K.
“We expect the industry to be passing through these savings to consumers as quickly as possible,” a White House official said, as The Wall Street Journal reports.
“The president stands ready to take additional action, if needed, and is prepared to use his full authorities working in coordination with the rest of the world to maintain adequate supply as we exit the pandemic,” the White House added.
Trump, in a statement released to the press, outright lied about Biden’s move, and about his own performance and that of other U.S. Presidents.
“For decades our Country’s very important Strategic Oil Reserves were low or virtually empty in that no President wanted to pay the price of filling them up. I filled them up three years ago, right to the top, when oil prices were very low. Those reserves are meant to be used for serious emergencies, like war, and nothing else,” Trump falsely claimed.
As The New York Times’ Peter Baker notes, the Strategic Oil Reserves (technically the Strategic Petroleum Reserve,) were far from empty when Trump took office, but they were far less full when he left:
Strategic Petroleum Reserve on the day Trump took office: 695 million barrels
Strategic Petroleum Reserve on the day Trump left office: 638 million barrelshttps://t.co/P4esCfDbNB
— Peter Baker (@peterbakernyt) November 23, 2021
That’s not the only lie Trump told.
The Strategic Petroleum Reserve is authorized to hold up to 714 million barrels (in 2009 it was 727 million barrels), so they were nearly full when Trump took office. He also exposed his ignorance about how the federal government “buys” the oil. The oil is effectively traded to the government as payment (royalties) for drilling leases so presidents not wanting to “pay the price of filling them up” is false as well.
Here’s a graph from the U.S. government showing how many barrels of oil are in the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserves, starting in 1980. At no time were they “low or virtually empty,” not ever. The chart is highlighted to indicate the day Trump was sworn in to office:
The Reserves have been tapped about 20 times since they were first created in 1975, including to reduce the deficit in 1996 and 1997, in 2011 during the Arab Spring, and as loans to oil companies.
- News2 days ago
‘I Will Find Out’: Jimmy Kimmel Questions Why Texas TV Station Cut Away From His Monologue on School Shooting
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM3 days ago
‘Avowed White Nationalist’ Republican Criticized as ‘Unfit for Office’ Over False Claim Shooter Was LGBTQ, Undocumented
- News3 days ago
Florida Republican Levies ‘Threat’ Against Biden Over Guns After Being Investigated for Cyberintimidation
- News2 days ago
CNN Reporter Refuses to Accept Texas Official’s Claims About Uvalde Shooting: ‘Why Don’t You Clear All of This Up Now?’
- News2 days ago
Questions Swirl About Uvalde Police as Photos, Videos, Witness Accounts Appear to Tell Story of Inaction During Massacre
- News3 days ago
Watch: Texas Republican Opposes Any New Gun Legislation Because We’re Going to ‘Convict’ and ‘Punish’ the Shooters
- BIG BROTHER2 days ago
Herschel Walker Calls for Creation of Federal Agency to Spy on Americans’ Social Media Posts to Prevent Gun Violence
- News2 days ago
Watch: Fourth Grade Student Says Uvalde Police Told Children to Yell ‘Help’ – Shooter Shot One Child Who Did