Connect with us

COVERUP?

Kavanaugh Ally Working on Confirmation Searched for Blasey Ford Online – Before Her Name Was Made Public

Published

on

A conservative lobbyist friend of Brett Kavanaugh’s searched for Dr. Christine Blasey Ford on LinkedIn before she was outed as the person who accused the Supreme Court nominee of sexual assault.

The Washington Post reported that on Sunday, Ford forwarded an email to an associate showing that Ethics and Public Policy Center president Ed Whalen had been looking at her LinkedIn profile.

According to the report, Ford sent the email about 90 minutes after the Post shared her name with the White House — but before the newspaper posted a story revealing her name on Monday.

In a statement, the White House claimed that neither Kavanaugh nor anyone within the administration shared the accuser’s name with Whelan.

The EPPC president and Kavanaugh ally came under fire earlier in the week after he posted a conspiracy theory on Twitter claiming Ford mixed up the nominee with another classmate.

RELATED: THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF THE KAVANAUGH CONFIRMATION ARE SO SCARED THEY DID SOMETHING INSANE LAST NIGHT

 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 

COVERUP?

Nadler: ‘Absolutely’ Will Take Mueller Report Fight to SCOTUS if Necessary

Published

on

Jerry Nadler

With the Mueller report now completed and sent to the Department of Justice, speculation remains if any part of the report will ever see the light of day. House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY), on today’s Face The Nation, made it clear that he intends to feel the release of the full report, possibly taking it to the Supreme Court of the United States if necessary.

Nadler said that the House Judiciary Committee would, “try to negotiate and try everything else first but if we have to, yes, we will certainly issue subpoenas to get that information.” 

In a follow-up question, he did make it clear that he was “absolutely” willing to take this all the way to the SCOTUS.

“It’s so crucial that the entire report and the evidence underlying it be released to the public,” said Nadler.

Fox News Sunday, host Chris Wallace asked Nadler if he would take issue with the President getting to review the report first, “for any executive privilege issues. 

“I certainly hope that does not happen, and I certainly do have a problem with that,” said Nadler. “This is an investigation of the White House, the president, and the people around him for alleged misconduct in various different ways, and for subverting the Constitution in various different ways.”

“As we know from the Nixon tapes case, which the supreme court decided 9-0, executive privilege cannot be used to shield wrongdoing,” added Nadler. “They certainly should not get an advance look at the report, the report should go public in its entirety, and see where the chips fall.

Mueller presented his report to the Department of Justice on Friday. The DOJ promised a summary to Congress as soon as this weekend. It has yet to do so.

View the exchanges below:

Image via screen capture from video source.

Continue Reading

COVERUP?

Trump’s Tax Returns: Leaked Strategy Reveals GOP Plotting All-Out Battle to Keep Them Secret

Published

on

Treasury Department officials are planning ways to keep President Donald Trump’s personal tax returns away from Democratic lawmakers.

A handful of top political appointees and lawyers are developing a strategy to counter Democratic subpoenas and prevent the IRS from turning over those documents, four sources told Politico.

Officials will accuse Democrats of seeking the documents to then leak to the public, which would be a felony, and then argue that Trump’s opponents cannot be trusted enough to see the documents in the first place.

“We are worried about leaks,” one source told the website. “Once we share it with any member of Congress, we assume it becomes a public document.”

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin will review any request for the returns, which administration officials have been expecting since Democrats took over the House last month, and could potentially reject them and plunge the executive and legislative branches into an extended and unprecedented legal fight.

“What happens if the Treasury secretary just doesn’t answer or sends back a note saying we refuse to do what you are saying?” said George Yin, a former chief of staff on the House Joint Committee on Taxation. “To my knowledge, that has never happened … We are essentially in uncharted territory if he refuses.”

Presidential candidates typically release their tax information during campaigns, but Trump has cited an ongoing IRS audit and shielded his returns from public view.

The Internal Revenue Code gives the three congressional committees responsible for taxes the authority to request returns for any individual or business, but the contents of those documents must remain private.

Federal employees who reveal that information can face felony charges punishable for up to five years in prison.

However, the House Ways and Means Committee could vote to make the returns public, which would then require a full vote in the House.

Image by Gage Skidmore via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading

COVERUP?

Giuliani: President Will Only Sit With Special Counsel ‘Over My Dead Body’

Published

on

Giuliani on Fox News Sunday

Rudy Giuliani, President Trump’s current personal attorney, said that he would not let the President be interviewed by Robert Mueller, saying that such an interview would only happen over his “dead body.”

“Over my dead body. But you know, I could be dead,” said Giuliani on Fox News Sunday when asked about sitting down with the Special Counsel on a sometimes-contentious interview on Fox News Sunday.

Giuliani initially tried to sidestep the question, claiming that the Special Counsel was intending to ask about, “several unpaid parking tickets back in 1986 or 1987” as a way to trivialize the importance of the actions of President Trump currently under investigation.

Trump has signaled publicly many times over 2018 his own willingness to sit down with Mueller, including floating dates in January, May, June, and July.

In January, Trump told reporters he was “looking forward” to such an opportunity, adding, “I would love to do that. I’d like to do it as soon as possible.”

Then in March, President Trump said that he would be interested in sitting down with Mueller. “Yes,” Trump said at the end of a signing ceremony expanding tariffs on China. “I would like to. I would like to.”

Nevertheless, all the talk has not led to actions, while the president continues to push back on the investigation, calling it a “witch hunt” on his Twitter feed, a stance that Giuliani echoed during the Fox News Sunday interview.

The investigation has so far seen 100 criminal counts issues for 33 people and three companies. Of those, eight have been found guilty.

View the interview here:

Images via screen capture from video source.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.