Connect with us

‘I’m Going to Come Back Orlando-Style!’: Gay Bars Across US Receive Threats in Wake of Attack

Published

on

Authorities Report Incidents in Atlanta, Houston, New York City, San Diego, Seattle

Authorities in at least five major cities have reported terroristic threats made against gay bars and the LGBT community in the wake of the shooting that left 49 people dead at Pulse Orlando early Sunday. 

Police have increased patrols in LGBT entertainment districts across the country, and law enforcement is encouraging people to follow the practice of, “If you see something, say something,” and call 911 if they witness a threat. 

“If we give up our freedoms, (terrorists) win. If we become fearful, they win. That should never happen,” Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard told The Oakland Press. “What we should do is become more united, more engaged and more situationally aware — individually and as a society.”

In Atlanta, police reportedly have questioned a gay man, Brett Edgerton, who posted threatening messages against two local gay bars on Twitter. 

“TEN or Blake’s could be the next Orlando,” Edgerton wrote. “You think I am the type to be the next ‘shooter’? Keep hating me then.” 

“You are all dead to me,” Edgerton wrote later. 

Atlanta police, who tracked down Edgerton after receiving tips about the tweets, say he is cooperating with their investigation, and they don’t believe either bar is in danger, according to a report from Project Q. 

In Houston, police are investigating a threat made on Twitter against the city’s upcoming LGBT Pride parade. 

“There will be a massive shooting at the pride parade in Houston, Texas,” read the post from an account that has since been deleted. 

Police say they’re trying to determine who made the threat, according to AbOUT magazine.  

Houston.jpg

Meanwhile, New York City police arrested a man early Monday after he made threats against HappyFun Hideaway, a neighborhood bar with many LGBT patrons in Brooklyn’s Bushwick neighborhood. Justin Rice, 40, had been kicked out of the bar by a bouncer for arguing loudly with his girlfriend, according to DNAinfo.com and The New York Daily News. 

“I’m going to come back Orlando-style!” Rice reportedly yelled. “I’m going to shoot this place up and get my 50 just like Orlando, Florida.”

Rice punched the bouncer and threw a metal bucket filled with sand at him, while screaming, “Fuck you faggots, fuck that faggot, I’ll kill you faggots!”

The bouncer suffered minor injuries but managed to restrain Rice until police arrived. He is charged with aggravated assault, aggravated harassment, making a terrorist threat and menacing as a hate crime. 

The New York Post reports other gay bars in the city have received threatening phone calls. 

In Washington state, authorities says online threats against gay bars in Seattle and Tacoma are not credible. The FBI interviewed a Spokane man who posted the threats but did not find “reason to suggest a pending physical threat,” according to The News Tribune.

Finally, in San Diego, police are investigating an ad posted on Craigslist that included an image of a firing handgun and a threat toward the LGBT community. 
CRAIGSLIST_0.jpg

According to 10News.com, the ad in the men-seeking-men sub-section of the site stated: “We need more Orlando’s (sic). Orlando was long overdue. Cleanse your community of the filth that gives decent gay men and women a bad name. Those people were walking diseases, bug chasers, and thank god for AIDS and 9-11 and now Orlando. San Diego you are next…”

Watch 10News.com’s report below. 

 

Image via Facebook 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

DONALD TRUMP IS A FASCIST

‘Superficial’: Trump Mocked for Finally Releasing ‘Health Care Plan’ – Which Is Really a ‘Toothless’ Executive Order

Published

on

Donald Trump, World Health Organization

For at least four years President Donald Trump has been promising the American people a health care plan. He famously sat for the “60 Minutes” cameras just days after the 2016 election and said, “this is what I do I do a good job I mean I know how to do this stuff.”

He promised his new health care plan would protect the millions of Americans with pre-existing conditions and would be “great health care for much less money.”

After years of promises Trump on Thursday unveiled his “health care plan.”

He’s calling it his “health care vision” because it’s not an actual plan, it’s a wish list.

And it’s a mere executive order.

“The actual policies,” Stat News reports, “however, are simple, superficial, and non-binding executive orders. Neither will improve the quality of Americans’ health care or lower its cost.

The Daily Beast’s Sam Stein reports HHS Sec. Alex Azar earlier in the day was forced to admit “Trump’s forthcoming executive order on preexisting conditions will not carry weight of actual law should SCOTUS strike down the ACA [Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act.] Said it is a ‘defined statement of U.S. policy that people with preexisting conditions are protected.'”

Here’s how Stein sums up Trump’s big reveal:

Here’s MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle:

Stein is far from alone in mocking Trump’s “plan.”

Here’s how Buzzfeed sums it up:

Here’s a health care policy reporter from medical new site Stat News:

More:

And then this:

 

Continue Reading

DONALD TRUMP IS A FASCIST

Trump Rages on Ballots: ‘I’m Not Sure’ the Election Can Be ‘Honest’

Published

on

President Donald Trump is not backing down from his attempts to sow chaos into the minds of Americans just 40 days until the election. Now he says he’s “not sure” that the election can be “honest,” without providing any actual proof other than mischaracterized anecdotes.

After refusing to commit to a peaceful transfer of power on Wednesday Trump was asked Thursday afternoon if the election results are only legitimate if he wins.

“So, we have to be very careful with the ballots – the ballots that’s a whole big scam,” Trump said from the South Lawn of the White House.

“You know they found I understand eight ballots in a wastepaper basket in some location, they found it was reported in one of the newspapers that they found a lot of ballots in a river. They throw them out if they have the name ‘Trump’ on it I guess,” the President falsely claimed. A reporter immediately corrected him, saying there were no names on the ballots.

“Okay, well they still found them in a river whether they had a name on it or not but the other ones had the Trump name on it. And they were thrown into a wastepaper basket.

NCRM could find no reports of ballots being found in a river.

Related –
‘Deranged’: McEnany Slams Dems and Attacks Reporter Who Asked if Trump Would Commit to Peaceful Transition of Power

“We want to make sure the election is honest and I’m not sure that it can be. I don’t, I don’t know that it can be, with this whole situation – unsolicited ballots they’re unsolicited, millions being sent to everybody and we’ll see but if you remember Hillary Clinton just a week ago or so told Joe Biden do not accept the results of the election under any circumstances. But you don’t ask her that question you only asked me the question.”

It’s been almost exactly four years since Trump won the election and beat Hillary Clinton but he still talks about her.

Watch:

Continue Reading

UNPROFESSIONAL

‘Deranged’: McEnany Slams Dems and Attacks Reporter Who Asked if Trump Would Commit to Peaceful Transition of Power

Published

on

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany is attacking the veteran journalist who asked President Donald Trump on Wednesday if he would commit to a peaceful transition of power and accepting the results of the November election.

After pretending she wasn’t familiar with the question from Brian Karem or President Donald Trump’s bombshell answer – he refused to commit to a peaceful transition, thus the effectively threatening a violent coup – McEnany referred to Brian Karem as a “Playboy reporter” and called his question “deranged.”

She repeatedly called him that “Playboy reporter” – he is a respected White House correspondent for Playboy and is also a CNN political analyst.

McEnany then attacked Democrats, saying they are the ones who should be asked to accept the election results after expressing valid concerns about Trump’s intentions.

McEnany’s response was unprofessional given President Trump for years has suggested he would not support a peaceful transition of power.

Watch:

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.