Connect with us

CRIME

Gaetz Allegedly Used ATMs in Hotels Where He Met Women He Paid – Could Face 10 Year Mandatory Jail Sentence: Report

Published

on

‘Reporting Is Likely Just the Tip of the Iceberg’

After the additional flood of reporting Thursday night it appears U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) could be in even more serious trouble than initially thought, including facing a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 10 years. But all the news we have now might just be the “tip of the iceberg,” a New York Times reporter is hinting.

Speaking on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” Friday, New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt says not only did the Florida Congressman allegedly use cash apps to pay for sex, he even used hotel lobby ATMs, not even bothering to cover his tracks.

“They were not taking great steps to hide these. Gaetz or Greenberg would go to an ATM in the hotel that they were in – they would often meet these women in hotels,” Schmidt revealed.

According to reports in The New York Times and CNN, Gaetz allegedly not only paid women for sex he used cash apps to fuel those encounters, leaving a digital trail of receipts. The Times late Thursday also reported Gaetz allegedly used the illegal drug ecstasy during sex.

“We were able to see some of the communications, the back and forth that was going on, how these women were being paid or being paid,” Schmidt told MSNBC.  “They were being paid through apps on their phone, through cash apps, through Apple Pay.”

Former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance revealed the DOJ investigation has been going on even longer than first thought, likely since January of 2020, as she laid out the “criminal exposure” Gaetz could be facing.

“There are a lot of different possibilities for federal criminal exposure for the Congressman related to this series of facts and something that I’ve heard [NY Times reporter Michael Schmidt] say before, that’s very true, is that the reporting is likely just the tip of the iceberg for this to have gone so far, and to become a full blown federal investigation, there’s some reports that the initial tip took place in January of 2020, so this would be a year-long investigation, if that pans out,” Vance revealed. “And it’s likely that there’s a great deal more to back this up.”

“There is a specific statute that criminalizes particularly when it comes to children and girls, the use of the Internet or any sorts of interstate means to entice, to lure, girls into this sort of commercial sex trafficking, but there’s a whole panoply of federal statutes that are designed to address this, and most importantly, federal prosecutors take these sorts of crimes very seriously,” she warned.

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

Secret Service Held Onto Violent Jan. 6 Threat Against Pelosi, Watchdog Says

Published

on

Two days before the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of Donald Trump the U.S. Secret Service discovered a “series of violent threats” made on social media, including against Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, but did not pass them on to the Capitol Police until the evening of January 6 – after the violence of the insurrection had ended, a watchdog reports.

“On January 4, Secret Service agents discovered a Parler account, which we’ve chosen not to name, posting a series of violent threats towards lawmakers. Other profiles with the same name appeared on Twitter, MeWe, Bitchute, Youtube and Facebook,” Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) reveals.

“On December 31, the account posted, ‘January 6 starts #1776 all over again…Fight for EVERYTHING’ and listed ‘Enemies,’ including Pelosi. At 5:55 pm on January 6, after hours of defending the United States Capitol from a violent mob, the United States Capitol Police received the post along with a message from the Secret Service.”

READ MORE: ‘Coverup of Treason’: Trump-Appointed IG, Under Investigation, Knew of Missing Secret Service and DHS Texts Far Earlier

“The language used by the account, as we’ve now seen repeated in recordings released by the January 6th Committee, is a clear call for a violent overthrow of the American government on January 6, 2021,” CREW adds.

The Secret Service found what CREW calls other “troubling” posts tied to that account.

“Biden will die shortly after being elected,” the account posted on January 2, four days before the insurrection. “Patriots are gonna tear his head off. Prison is his best case scenario.”

READ MORE: Watchdog to DOJ: Secret Service ‘Likely’ Broke Federal Criminal Law by Deleting Text Messages

“We’re all on a mission to save America. Lone wolf attacks are the way to go,” read a Jan. 3 post. “Stay anonymous. Stay alive. Guns up Patriots!!”

CREW takes the Secret Service to task.

“In the past month, we’ve learned that the Secret Service failed to prepare for violence on January 6 despite receiving explicit warnings, then deleted key evidence from the day, likely breaking the law,” the nonpartisan watchdog reports, presumably referring to the deleted text messages from Jan. 5 and Jan. 6, 2021. “The delay in notifying Capitol Police about the threat to the Speaker of the House only adds to the impression that the agency failed to do its job, and leads to more questions. Why did the agency wait two days, until after the Capitol had been breached and Congressional leaders were in hiding to pass it along?”

 

 

Continue Reading

CRIME

Man Taken Into Custody and Charged After Allegedly Making Death Threats Against FBI Following Mar-a-Lago Raid

Published

on

Federal agents have taken a Pennsylvania man into custody after he allegedly made death threats against the FBI on the far right wing social media platform Gab, following last week’s raid on Mar-a-Lago. Trump supporters have been increasing their level of threats of violence and civil war against the left and the FBI since last Monday when federal agents confiscated 20 cartons worth of items that had been removed from the White House, including highly classified documents.

“Adam Bies was charged with influencing, impeding, or retaliating against a federal law enforcement official after the social media exploitation team in the FBI’s National Threat Operations Section referred a tip about a Gab post by the user ‘BlankFocus,'” NBC News reports. “The user, according to a FBI affidavit, posted that employees of the bureau deserved to die.”

Bies allegedly wrote on Gab, “I’m ready for the inevitable. Once you accept reality for what it is instead of what you want or to be, you can move on with your life and get prepared for the inevitable outcome. I already know I’m going to die at the hands of these piece of shit child molesting law enforcement scumbags.”

READ MORE: Mastriano’s Consultant Just Posted Video Declaring ‘We Have Multiple Candidates…Who Are Christian Nationalists’

According to authorities Bies also wrote his “only goal is to kill more of them before I drop. I will not spend one second of my life in their custody.”

“Records show that Bies was taken into custody,” NBC News adds.

The New York Times’ Alan Feuer posted screenshots of a few of Bies’ alleged threats.

“I am going to f**cking slaughter you,” one of the threats reads. “I sincerely believe that if you work for the FBI, then you deserve to die,” says another.

READ MORE: ‘Pledging to Sue’: Christian Nationalist GOP Nominee Subpoenaed by J6 Committee ‘Didn’t Answer a Single Question’

In one of his posts on Gab he appears to be addressing the far right platform’s Christian nationalist and antisemitic founder, Andrew Torba.

Torba, who has been called a consultant to far right Pennsylvania Republican gubernatorial nominee Doug Mastriano, has declared America is a “Christian nation,” Christians are “taking back” America from Jewish people, he has said, and bragged how they have “Christian nationalists” who are current members of Congress, along with a multitude of Christian nationalists who are running for elected office at the local, state, and national levels.

 

Continue Reading

CRIME

‘Should Expect to Be Indicted’: Giuliani Now Target of Georgia DA Investigation Into Efforts to Overturn Election – Report

Published

on

Rudy Giuliani is now a target of Fulton County, Georgia District Attorney Fani Willis’ grand jury investigation into efforts by Donald Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the 2020 election, according to New York Times reporter Danny Hakim.

“Rudy Giuliani has been told that he is a target of the criminal investigation in Georgia into election interference. He is scheduled to testify in Atlanta later this week,” Hakim writes.

In June, the Times reported Giuliani had “emerged as a central figure in a Georgia criminal investigation of efforts by Donald J. Trump and his allies to overturn his election loss in the state, with prosecutors questioning witnesses last week before a special grand jury about Mr. Giuliani’s appearances before state legislative panels after the 2020 vote, the witnesses said.”

READ MORE: ‘Direct Personal Knowledge’: Federal Judge Denies Lindsey Graham’s Request to Quash Subpoena Ordering Him to Testify

Last week Giuliani had tried to escape testifying, citing issues he claimed were related to travel, but The Times’ Richard Fausset, who co-wrote the June article with Hakim, reports “Giuliani’s lawyer says Rudy will definitely appear Weds before grand jury (there was talk of a 2nd doc’s note). Says attorney client privilege will be invoked re questions between Giuliani & Trump. ME: How will Rudy get here? LAWYER: ‘No comment’.”

Former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti explains the term “target.”

“‘Target’ is a term prosecutors use to indicate that they are likely to indict someone. It has a specific meaning in this context. If Giuliani has in fact been told that he is a target of the Georgia investigation, he should expect to be indicted.”

This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.