Connect with us

MASS SHOOTINGS

‘You Caused This’: Internet Blames Trump After He Tweets ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ for Newsroom Shooting

Published

on

Trump Called the Press the ‘Enemy of the People’ Again Just Three Days Ago

President Trump’s repeated labeling of journalists as “the enemy of the people” is leading many online to now blame him for a Thursday afternoon mass shooting that has left five dead in a Maryland newsroom.

After the president posted a tweet offering his “thoughts and prayers” many rushed to point the finger at him for instigating deadly violence against reporters.

No motive is yet known, although the shooter, identified only as a white male, is in custody.

One reporter was quick to blame Trump directly:

Just three days ago Trump again called the press “the enemy of the people.”

And here’s Trump attacking the media last summer:

NBC News minutes ago reported, “President Trump does not respond when asked as he returns to the White House to comment on the Maryland newsroom shooting.”

Others on social media also offered similar responses blaming the president for today’s murders:

 

 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 

MASS SHOOTINGS

Police: Aurora Gunman Who Killed 5 People ‘Absolutely’ Should Not Have Been Allowed to Own a Gun (Video)

Published

on

Convicted Felon With Long History of Arrests Including for Domestic Violence-Related Issues

Aurora, Illinois police say the gunman who shot and killed five people and wounded several others on Friday should not have been allowed to own a gun. They cite an initial background check that did not reveal an out-of-state felony conviction, NBC News reports.

“He absolutely he was not supposed to be in possession of a firearm,” Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said.

The gunman, Gary Martin, was a fired warehouse worker who had been issued a permit in 2014 that he used to purchase a Smith and Wesson .40 caliber handgun.

But the shooter, who also wounded five police officers along with one of his former co-workers, had a 1995 Mississippi felony conviction for aggravated assault that should have barred him from being able to purchase a gun. That conviction was flagged only after he applied for a concealed carry permit.

Police say Martin had been sent a letter informing him he had to relinquish the weapon. They are not currently certain if any follow up had taken place.

“Martin also had six prior arrests with the Aurora Police Department, including arrests for traffic and domestic violence-related issues, according to Ziman. She said his last arrest in Aurora was in 2008 for violating an order of protection,” NBC News adds. There was also a 2017 arrest in another jurisdiction for disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property.

Watch:

 

Continue Reading

MASS SHOOTINGS

California Shooter Identified as 28 Year Old White Male – Drove Mother’s Car to Bar Before Killing 12

Published

on

This article has been updated to reflect information from Sheriff’s press conference.

The suspect believed to have shot 12 people to death in a Ventura County, California bar overnight has been identified.

The Ventura County Sheriff at a 10 AM ET press conference identified the suspect as Ian David Long, and says he was 28. He adds Long was a veteran and former Marine, and is believed to have died from a self-inflicted wound.

“The shooter was found dead at the scene from a gunshot wound. Several law enforcement officials identified him as Ian Long, 29,” NBC News reports. “Law enforcement officials had earlier described him as a heavily tattooed white male.”

An ABC News affiliate in Southern California has named him as David Ian Long.

The LA Times adds that the shooter “drove his mother’s car to the attack and said nothing upon entering the bar.”

“Authorities said the man was heavily tattooed but apparently didn’t have identification on him,” the Times notes.

This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. This story will be updated, and NCRM will likely publish follow-up stories on this news. Stay tuned and refresh for updates.

 

Continue Reading

MASS SHOOTINGS

12 People Dead – Gunman Used Smoke Bombs in Mass Shooting at California Bar Popular With College Students

Published

on

Twelve people were shot dead and about a dozen others were injured after a gunman dressed in black used smoke bombs and shot into a Southern California bar popular with college students. A sheriff’s deputy is among those killed. The gunman is dead.

“The massacre occurred at the Borderline Bar & Grill, with the assailant firing wildly into the crowd,” the LA Times reports. The shooting began at about 11:20 PM local time Wednesday at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks.

Ventura County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Ron Helus who was to retire next year,, was shot and died at a hospital.

One witness told CNN the gunman wore a “black mask” which may have been a bandana.

“It’s a horrific incident,” Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters. “This community in my 41 years had never experienced anything like this.”

“It’s a horrific scene in there,” Sheriff Dean added. “There’s blood everywhere.”

NEW: CALIFORNIA SHOOTER IDENTIFIED AS 28 YEAR OLD WHITE MALE – DROVE MOTHER’S CAR TO BAR BEFORE KILLING 12

One patron who ran toward the exit when the shooting began is 19 years old. Erika Sigman told reporters the bar “is a safe place. My parents let me go here. This is a trusted place. … To know that this happened in my safe place is a very, very scary thing.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.