Connect with us

Breaking: Lawsuit Filed Against Kim Davis By Couple Denied Marriage License Three Times

Published

on

A same-sex couple who have been denied a marriage license three times by Kim Davis’ office has filed suit in federal court.

William Smith, Jr. and James Yates have been together for nine years. Three times since the Supreme Court in June ruled same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry the pair have tried to apply for and obtain a marriage license in Rowan County, Kentucky. Three times they have been denied by the Office of the County Clerk, headed by Kim Davis.

Davis has been sued by five couples and a U.S. District Court Judge has ordered her to issue marriage licenses. He even gave her time to take her appeal to the 6th Circuit, which denied it, and to the U.S. Supreme Court, which never reply to her request filed Friday.

UPDATE: BREAKING: Supreme Court Denies Kim Davis’ Request For Emergency Intervention

Davis claims her religious freedom is at stake and issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples would “irreparably” harm her conscience.

LOOK: Deadline Passes. Kim Davis Re-Appeals. Has Not Issued Any Marriage Licenses. Is She In Contempt?

Most recently, Smith and Yates tried to obtain a marriage license on Thursday, but were denied. They also applied on July 6 and August 13. The couple also requested the Rowan County Attorney to file a charge of “official misconduct” against Davis, which was referred to the State Attorney General last week. He has yet to act on the request.

Last week the couple filed a new, separate lawsuit against Davis, Rowan County, and Rowan County Judge Executive Walter Blevins – who has also reportedly refused to issue them a license – along with others.

Blevins was served a summons today. Davis is expected to be served this week, WKYT notes this afternoon.

“The lawsuit says Davis and Rowan County ‘willfully, intentionally, and with deliberate indifference’ to the couple’s rights established a custom or policy to ‘refuse to issue marriage licenses to individuals eligible to marry in order to deny such individuals, including Smith and Yates, their Constitutional right to marry,'” WKYT reports.

“Smith and Yates suffered and ‘continue to suffer irreparable damage, including but not limited to embarrassment, humiliation, loss of family security and benefits accessible by other married couples,’ according to the lawsuit. Smith and Yates are seeking a jury trial, a ‘reasonable amount’ for compensatory and punitive damages and attorney fees.”

In the video above, Smith and Yates speak to reporters just after being denied a third time last week.

 

EARLIER:

Kim Davis Issued Marriage License To Trans Man: ‘She Saw Just A Straight Couple In Love’ He Says At Rally

Want Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Fired? Rowan County Officials Are Trying

‘Her Conscience Be Damned’: Kim Davis Files Emergency SCOTUS Request To Intervene In Marriage Case

 

Image: Screenshot via Courier-Journal

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

Cuomo Charged With Sex Crime Months After Resigning as Governor

Published

on

Former New York governor Andrew Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanor sex crime, NBC News reports.

The former governor who resigned after multiple accusations of sexual harassment resigned, leaving office August 23.

“Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanor complaint in Albany City Court for a sex-crime related charge, a spokesperson for New York State courts tells NBC News,” according to NBC’s Tom Winter.

A investigation by New York Attorney General Letitia James found the Democratic governor had sexually harassed at least eleven women, most of them state employees.

“Forcible Touching” is listed on the complaint:

 

This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. 

Continue Reading

News

Meadows ‘Will Face Consequences’ for Stonewalling Jan. 6 Committee if He Does Not Comply With Subpoena: Report

Published

on

Could former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows face criminal contempt of Congress charges like Steve Bannon?

The House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack subpoenaed Meadows, a former GOP congressman, on September 23, over a month ago, and he has yet to comply.

“Our patience isn’t unlimited, and engagement needs to become cooperation very soon,” a Select Committee source told CNN. “As we’ve already made clear, anyone who tries to stonewall our effort will face the consequences.”

The committee sees Meadows, who has been by Trump’s side every step of the way even for months before exiting the House to join the Trump administration, as a “key witness.”

Jan. 6 Select Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS) is being patient but that appears to be waning thin.

“If and when the staff says to us it’s not going anywhere, there won’t be any hesitation on the part of the committee to make the referrals” for contempt of Congress he tells CNN.

CNN adds multiple sources have “indicated” Meadows has “been ‘engaging’ in negotiations over the terms of his turning over documents and appearing for a deposition.”

Earlier this week a bombshell Rolling Stone report citing two people involved with planning the January 6 pro-Trump rallies mentioned Meadows nine times, including calling him “someone who played a major role in the conversations surrounding the protests on Jan. 6.”

That report also says those sources describe Meadows “as having had an opportunity to prevent the violence” of January 6, and that “Meadows was 100 percent made aware of what was going on.”

 

 

Continue Reading

COMMENTARY

Rupert Murdoch Is a ‘Domestic Threat’ Says Never-Trumper Over Tucker Carlson’s Upcoming Jan. 6 Special

Published

on

Stuart Stevens is calling out News Corp founder and chief Rupert Murdoch as a “domestic threat” in response to a stunning preview clip from Fox News’ top personality, Tucker Carlson, that falsely paints Donald Trump’s January 6 insurrection as a false flag operation by Democrats.

“If Rupert Murdoch were applying for American citizenship today, there would be ample evidence to classify him as a domestic threat and deny citizenship,” Stevens says of Murdoch, an Australian-born naturalized U.S. citizen. “He’s a dangerous man who should be treated as the anti-democratic propagandist he is.”

Stevens is known as one of the top Republican strategists who became a never-Trumper and co-founded The Lincoln Project. Murdoch owns News Corp, the parent company of Fox News, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Post, and numerous other outlets across the globe. He became a U.S. citizen in 1985 to meet the requirements to purchase and own TV stations.

The clip of Tucker Carlson’s three-part series on the January 6 insurrection (below) is being called “fucking insane” by fellow never-Trumper Tim Miller, a former GOP strategist.

“I’d like to focus in on the fact that Fox is hosting one of the main architects of the Stop The Steal insurrection Ali Akbar Alexander for this 1/6 special,” Miller adds. “Going full Newsmax.”

In a scathing strike against Carlson, former Obama HUD deputy assistant secretary Brandon Friedman compared the Fox News personality to a radio station known for helping to incite the Rwandan genocide in which more than one million people died and up to half a million women were raped.

Here’s the clip, which is loaded with falsehoods and anti-American, anti-democracy propaganda:

 

Image by Ben Terrett via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.