Connect with us

News

Jerry Falwell Jr’s Denials Backfire — as Photographer Posts More Shots of Him Partying at Miami Beach Nightclub

Published

on

Jerry Falwell Jr. vehemently denied that he appeared in photos taken at a Miami Beach nightclub — even after shown the evidence — but that strategy appears to have backfired.

The evangelical Liberty University and its president were the subject of a bombshell report published Monday by Politico, where insiders described Falwell’s salacious language and apparent self-dealing.

The report by university alumnus Brandon Ambrosio also examined photographs taken of Falwell and his son Trey Falwell at the Miami Beach nightclub Wall, which university sources said he tried to make disappear.

The photos taken July 19, 2014, during a performance by popular Swedish DJ John Dahlbäck were shared online by World Red Eye, an outlet that documents Miami’s nightlife scene.

Falwell denied the photos existed in a statement to Ambrosio before the Politico report was published, saying no photos had been taken of him at Wall or any other nightclub, and insisted the reporter was mistaken even after learning the photos had been obtained for the article.

“If you show me the picture, I can probably help you out,” Falwell wrote in a statement. “I think you are making some incorrect assumptions, or have been told false things or are seeing something that was photo-shopped.”

Falwell again insisted the photos had been doctored after he was shown images of him and his son in the crowd at Wall, and denied that he had ever tried to get the photos taken offline.

That denial — and Falwell’s suggestion that World Red Eye had manipulated the images — prompted the photography website’s founder to respond.

“For 21 years, I have maintained an impeccable reputation for documenting Miami Beach’s storied social scene,” wrote Seth Browarnik, founder World Red Eye.

Browarnik rejected the evangelical leader’s “baseless allegation” that images of him had been manipulated in any way, and said he was unaware that Falwell had been included in the photos posted on his website.

“We, in fact, did not know Politico’s purpose for licensing the image and were as surprised as anyone to discover that Mr. Falwell was among the partygoers we photographed on July 19, 2014 at WALL Lounge,” Browarnik wrote.

That prompted Browarnik to dig around in his archives, and he found more shots of Falwell partying at the club — which he shared online.

“We reviewed all the images we have from the event and discovered an additional four photos that include Mr. Falwell and two more of his son,” the photographer wrote.

Sources told Ambrosio that Falwell was angry the photos had been posted online, because Liberty disapproves of co-ed dancing and prohibits alcohol use.

Staffers told the reporter that Falwell went to John Gauger, who is nominally his “IT guy” but described by sources as his “fixer,” and asked him to downgrade the photos on Google searches.

Gauger has worked at Liberty since earning an MBA there in 2009, and he was promoted in 2016 as the university’s chief information officer — a rise that puzzles some officials at the school.

“I’m not being disrespectful, but John was a nobody,” said one longtime Liberty official. “And the next thing you know, he’s high up in IT.”

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

News

Democratic Louisiana Governor Wins Re-Election in Massive Defeat for Trump

Published

on

Democratic Governor John Bel Edwards won re-election in a highly contested high dollar race against a candidate who spent at least $12 million of his own money and had President Donald Trump at his beck and call. Edwards beat Republican Eddie Rispone, who Trump had personally campaigned for three times in the state in the past five weeks, and had promoted repeatedly on Twitter.

Calling it a “hard loss” and “a stinging rebuke” for Trump, The New York Times notes the president’s multiple visits to campaign for Rispone were “an effort to lift the Republicans and demonstrate his own clout.”

Bel Edwards campaigned on his record, which included expanding badly-needed Medicare, raising taxes to help fix the state’s budget, and giving teachers a pay increase.

Governor Edwards’ predecessor, Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal, “repeatedly used short-term patches to eliminate financial shortfalls,” The Shreveport Times reported in January. “They raided savings accounts, drained trust funds, sold off state property and delayed bill payments to keep the budget in balance amid tax breaks that siphoned away more and more money from the treasury.”

Earlier this week in Louisiana President Trump campaigned for Rispone, but appeared to be more interested in framing the election as a vote of confidence for himself.

Trump had recently backed Kentucky Republican governor Matt Devin for re-election. He too went down in defeat.

In Virginia Republicans, despite Trump’s support, lost massively. Democrats took control of both the House and Senate, giving them control of the State Legislature and the Governor’s office for the first time since 1973.

Pollster Matt McDermott summed it up Saturday night:

 

Continue Reading

News

State Dept. Official Testified Sondland Spoke Graphically to Trump Telling Him Zelensky Would Do ‘Anything You Ask’

Published

on

Congress will hear first-hand testimony of President Donald Trump’s involvement in the Ukraine scandal.

“David Holmes, the state department aide who overheard President Donald Trump’s conversation with the US ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, said that Sondland told Trump that the Ukranian President would do ‘anything you ask him to,’ and that he confirmed the Ukrainians were going to ‘do the investigation,’” CNN reported Friday.

“”Sondland told Trump that (Ukrainian President Volodymyr) Zelensky ‘loves your ass,’” Holmes testified. “I then heard President Trump ask, ‘So, he’s gonna do the investigation?’ Ambassador Sondland replied that ‘he’s gonna do it,’ adding that President Zelensky will do ‘anything you ask him to.’”

“While Ambassador Sondland’s phone was not on speakerphone, I could hear the President’s voice through the earpiece of the phone. The President’s voice was very loud and recognizable, and Ambassador Sondland held the phone away from his ear for a period of time, presumably because of the loud volume,” Holmes testified.

CNN also reported, “Holmes also confirmed Taylor’s testimony about the President’s thoughts on Ukraine, saying he asked Sondland ‘if it was true that the President did not ‘give a sh*t about Ukraine.’”

Holmes opening was also obtained by The New York Times.

“The official, David Holmes, testified privately that he was at a restaurant in Ukraine’s capital when he heard Mr. Trump during a cellphone call loudly asking Gordon D. Sondland, the American ambassador to the European Union, if Ukraine’s president had agreed to conduct investigations into his political rivals. Mr. Sondland, who was in Kiev for meetings with top Ukrainian officials at the time, replied in the affirmative,” The Times reported.

“Mr. Sondland did not mention the episode to investigators last month when he answered their questions in private. He will almost certainly be asked about it next week when he appears for public testimony before the House Intelligence Committee. He has already revised his initial testimony once, admitting to the panel last week that he told a top Ukrainian official that the country would probably not receive a package of nearly $400 million in security assistance unless it committed publicly to the investigations Mr. Trump sought,” the newspaper noted.

The details of the exchange are vivid.

“Mr. Holmes described sitting at a table in the restaurant with Mr. Sondland when the president called. The president was speaking so loudly, he said, that Mr. Sondland held the phone away from his ear and Mr. Holmes and others could hear Mr. Trump’s voice,” The Times reported.

Continue Reading

News

READ: White House Finally Releases Highly-Edited Summary of Trump’s First Call in April With Ukraine President

Published

on

The White House, days after President Donald Trump promised, has finally released what appears to be a highly-edited call summary of Trump’s first call with Ukraine President Zelensky. The document clearly states it is “not a verbatim transcript,” and indeed, took the White House three days longer than originally planned to release the document.

The call, according to the document, lasted 16 minutes, yet spans just three short pages.

It appears to have been released in conjunction with the start of the House’s second open impeachment testimony hearing.

Read it below.

WH releases transcript of T… by Fox News on Scribd

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.