Connect with us

News

Longtime Trump Confidant Hope Hicks Showed Up for Closed Door Interview – But She’s Refusing to Answer Questions

Published

on

“I am watching Obstruction of Justice in action.”

Hope Hicks worked for Donald Trump, his business, his administration, and his family in various roles since 2012. More than almost anyone she has seen the intricate and private details of Team Trump, including when she served as White House Director of Communications, until her departure last year.

Hicks was present on Air Force One when Donald Trump re-wrote his son’s explanation for why he met with Russians in Trump Tower to get “dirt” on Hillary Clinton.

And she reportedly told President Trump his son’s emails “will never get out.”

Starting at 9 AM Tuesday morning, Hicks began her testimony before a closed door session of the House Judiciary Committee.

And while she showed up on time, she’s said little, according to multiple reports.

The White House is claiming Hicks is “immune” from testifying about anything, starting with the moment he was elected.

His claims of privilege are, experts say, “laughable.”

Reportedly, she is refusing to answer many questions.

CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Manu Raju says Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA) tells him Democrats are not pleased with Hicks’ testimony – or lack thereof.

Congressman Ted Lieu (D-CA) is blaming the Dept. of Justice for preventing Hicks from answering questions, calling it “obstruction of justice.”

UPDATE: 10:30 AM ET –
MSNBC just reported Hicks would not even answer a question about where her office was located in the White House.

RELATED STORIES:

HOPE HICKS THOUGHT TRUMP JR’S EMAILS LOOKED ‘REALLY BAD’ — AND TRUMP TOLD HER TO COVER THEM UP: MUELLER

DID TRUMP LONGTIME LOYALIST HOPE HICKS HELP COORDINATE HIS ILLEGAL HUSH MONEY PAYMENTS? PROSECUTORS INVESTIGATING: REPORT

HOPE HICKS GETS FOX JOB – AND MERCILESSLY MOCKED

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

News

‘I Know a Dying Administration When I See One’: British Journalist Says Brutal Crackdown Will Seal Trump’s Doom

Published

on

British journalist Ed Luce called out Senate Republicans for covering a dying Trump administration that’s threatening U.S. democracy as it gasps for survival.

The Financial Times‘ chief U.S. commentator told MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that President Donald Trump is trying to crack down on dissent and rally his hardcore base as the coronavirus and now nationwide protests against police brutality threaten his re-election chances.

“There are other Republican senators who are keeping silent because they know that what Trump is doing, what Trump is suggesting, is wrong,” Luce said. they’re scared of a backlash if they speak out.”

Luce, who warned of the Trump administration’s fascist creep in a new column, called on GOP senators to follow the example set by former Defense secretary James Mattis, former chairman of the joint chiefs of staff Mike Mullen and current Defense secretary Mike Esper and speak out against the president’s abuses.

“They need to speak out — it is his party,” Luce said. “Ultimately, they are enabling him. You know, I don’t think the threat of this situation can be overstated. Trump has his back to the wall. He will do lots of things to try and prevent his defeat.”

Luce said he was worried that Trump’s brutal crackdown on protesters set a dangerous precedent and energized his base, but he said that also disgusted more moderate GOP voters.

“Large, large minority Republicans strongly support these protests and support the continuing lockdown,” he said. “Now, these go directly against two things that Trump is really pushing for, the lifting of the lockdown and the racial polarization, the sort of panic element of these mostly peaceful protests.”

“I lived in many democracies, including America,” Luce added. “I’ve lived in many democracies. I know a dying administration when I see one.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Ellison to Charge Three Other Ex-Officers Involved in George Floyd’s Killing and Increase Charge Against Chauvin

Published

on

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison will charge three fired Minneapolis police officers involved in the killing of George Floyd, and will elevate the charges against the other fired officer, Derek Chauvin.

Charges against Chauvin will be increased from third degree murder to second degree murder.

“The other three officers at the scene — Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane — will also be charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder, according to the sources, who spoke on conditions of anonymity,” the Star Tribune reports.

“Thao was recorded watching as Chauvin continued to press on Floyd’s neck with his knee. Kueng was one of the first officers on the scene and helped pin Floyd down. Lane was detailed in earlier charges as pointing a gun at Floyd before handcuffing, and later asked whether officers should roll Floyd on his side as he was restrained.”

Floyd died of “mechanical asphyxiation,” an independent autopsy commissioned by the Floyd family concluded on Monday.

Ellison (photo) took over the case on Sunday.

This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. This story will be updated, and NCRM will likely publish follow-up stories on this news. Stay tuned and refresh for updates.

Image by Lorie Shaull via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading

News

CDC Agreed to Work on Trump Campaign’s MAGA-Themed Face Masks – As Hospitals Were Desperate for COVID-19 Tests: NYT

Published

on

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this past March reportedly agreed to help consult with Trump administration officials on the design of “Make America Healthy Again” face masks that would be given out to promote both public health and President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign.

The New York Times reports that Trump administration official in March “asked the agency to provide feedback on possible logos — including ‘Make America Healthy Again’ — for cloth face masks they hoped to distribute to millions of Americans.”

The initiative eventually fell through, but once source tells the Times that “CDC leaders agreed to the request.”

The discussion about Trump-branded face masks came at a time when hospitals across the United States were desperate to have more COVID-19 testing kits and protective gear for their staff members who were struggling to handle a surge in hospitalizations at the start of a pandemic that would go on to kill more than 100,000 Americans in less than three months.

“They let us down,” Dr. Stephane Otmezguine, an anesthesiologist who treated COVID-19 patients in Florida, tells the Times.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.