Connect with us

NRA Executive Blames Charleston Pastor For His Own Murder. His Defense? Speaking As Private Citizen

Published

on

A board member of the National Rifle Association (NRA) actually blames Pastor Clementa Pinckney for his own murder. What happens next boggles the mind.

On Wednesday, Pastor Clementa Pinckney and eight members of his Bible study group were gunned down by a white supremacist terrorist at Charleston’s Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.

On Thursday, NRA board member Charles Cotton blamed the pastor for his own murder – and the deaths of his eight fellow Bible study group members.

Why?

Pastor Clementa Pinckney is also State Senator Clementa Pinckney, and as a state senator, Pinckney voted against a bill that would have allowed concealed open carry in churches. 

Cotton also runs an online forum, TexasCHLForum.com, dedicated to advancing and expanding gun “rights.” In a thread about the massacre, Cotton offered these words about Pickney:

“And he voted against concealed-carry. Eight of his church members who might be alive if he had expressly allowed members to carry handguns in church are dead. Innocent people died because of his position on a political issue.”

Of course, that’s standard NRA fare. 

Cotton’s colleague, NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre, probably would have said, “If only there had been a good guy there with a gun.”

Quickly, the media came down on Cotton for his disgusting comment.

That thread today was deleted, although NCRM took this screenshot of Cotton’s remark:

cotton_nra.jpg

Cotton has no remorse about blaming a dead man for his own death, and the deaths of eight of his parishioners.

“In a phone interview from Texas, Cotton emphasized that his comments were made not in his capacity as an NRA board member, but as a private citizen who runs a gun discussion forum,” the Washington Post reports today.

In other words, Cotton believes his comments are acceptable because he was speaking as a private citizen.

“It was a discussion we were having about so called gun-free zones,” Cotton told the Post. “It’s my opinion that there should not be any gun-free zones in schools or churches or anywhere else. If we look at mass shootings that occur, most happen in gun-free zones.”

The Post notes that research shows Cotton’s beliefs about gun possession is false.

(NCRM Saturday is publishing a report on new research that proves Cotton’s position is incorrect.)

Meanwhile, Cotton’s comments on the late Pastor Pinckney, unsurprisingly, are not the only offensive ones.

Back in February, discussing corporal punishment of students, Cotton said, “a good paddling in school may keep me from having to put a bullet in him later.”

According to the website NRA on the Record, which tracks NRA executives and board members’ comments, Cotton has a few others he should be called to account for.

For example, in response to President Obama’s attempt to strengthen background checks for gun buyers after 20 children were massacred at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, Cotton proclaimed, “Americans are not facing merely a legislative battle, but a war on our very culture and way of life.”

Of course, Cotton’s remarks are nothing compared to fellow NRA board member Ted Nugent‘s.

Right Wing Watch reports “Nugent in the past has threatened to kill President Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and California Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer.”

Both are still active NRA board members.

 

Hat tip: Raw Story

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

WTH?

In First Interview Since Loss, Trump Goes Off the Rails and Suggests FBI Is ‘Involved’ in Stealing Election

Published

on

In his first interview since losing to President-elect Joe Biden, President Donald Trump repeated false claims about voter fraud and suggested that the FBI was “involved” in stealing the election.

Trump made the claims while speaking to Fox News host Maria Bartiromo.

“They send millions and millions and millions of mail-in ballots,” Trump opined. “I’m sure you know people that got two, three, four — because I do. They got four ballots. They got one at a country home. Dead people were seeing ballots. But even worse, dead people were applying to get a ballot. They were making applications to get ballots. Many. And we’re not talking about 10 people, we’re talking — there are a lot of dead people that so-called voted this election.”

“This is total fraud,” he continued. “And how the FBI and Department of Justice — I don’t know, maybe they’re involved. But how people are allowed to get away with this stuff is unbelievable. This election was rigged. This election was a total fraud.”

Trump also suggested that the judicial system had been rigged against him.

“We go to judges and people don’t want to get involved,” Trump remarked to Bartiromo. “The media doesn’t even want to cover it. I mean, you’re doing something. You’re actually very brave.”

Watch the video below from Fox News.

 

Continue Reading

'BLOOD ON HIS HANDS'

Trump’s ICE Is Using Torture to Quickly Deport Africans Back to a Deadly War-Torn Country

Published

on

Trump ICE deportations Africa

The central African country of Cameroon is currently experiencing a four-year separatist conflict that has killed over 3,000 people and displaced half a million more with “extrajudicial killings, forced disappearances, arbitrary and unlawful detention and torture.”

But Cameroonians who fled to the U.S. to seek political asylum here as refugees are experiencing torture as well from private prison guards and agents with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in Louisiana and Mississippi.

A new report from the Southern Poverty Law Center and Freedom for Immigrants includes six Cameroonians who say they were physically forced to sign deportation documents that they didn’t understand and threatened with choking, pepper spray, physical pain and prolonged detention if they refused.

One accuser said that ICE agents and private guards stripped him naked from the waist down, exposing his genitals and buttocks to a room of 10 people, while forcing him to sign. Others said they and other refugees were fed substandard food, subject to a humiliating full-body strip search, and housed alongside federal prisoners while waiting for their court proceedings.

If true, the actions would violate Louisiana state and federal law, the international Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment, which the U.S. has ratified, as well as ICE’s own policies within its 2011 Performance Based National Standards, Newsweek reports.

Trump has deported anywhere from  94 or 116 Cameroonians back to their home country since October. The Cameroon government has detained refugees who return to their shore to interrogate them for any separatist ties.

Continue Reading

'CAN'T WE END THIS ALREADY?'

Trump Is Already Planning a 2024 Run Just So Biden Won’t Get All the Press Attention

Published

on

President Donald Trump is reportedly discussing launching his 2024 re-election campaign kickoff event on January 20 just to overshadow President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration. Yes, really.

The Daily Beast has cited three officials who Trump has reportedly discussed the idea with. He is assessing which big-dollar donors would support his bid and which political underlings would remain loyal to him just to benefit from whatever happens.

“Trump’s scheming about a future White House run is both an implicit recognition that he views his own current legal efforts as longshots and a reflection of his inherent desire to maintain political power and public attention,” The Daily Beast writes.

According to Bloomberg News, National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien, reportedly told Trump, “If you do that—and I think I speak for everybody in the room—we’re with you 100 percent.”

Trump still has yet to officially concede. On Thursday he told reporters, “It’s going to be a very hard thing to concede because we know there was massive fraud.” Trump has been unable to prove his repeated claims of “massive fraud” in over 30 lawsuits which have either failed, been dismissed or withdrawn by his own re-election campaign.

Unfortunately for Trump, two comedians have already snatched up DonaldJTrump2024.com and are using the site to repeatedly call Trump a loser. They offered to give Trump the URL if he’ll concede and call himself a sad loser via Twitter.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.