The MinnesotaÂ Star Tribune is underÂ attack after it chose to publish a full-page hysterical, fear-mongering, ugly, anti-trans ad.
Many readers are angered and disappointed that the Star-Tribune,Â Minnesota’s largest newspaper, yesterday published an ad that preys on parents’ fears and on members of the transgender community, especially minors.
“A male wants to shower beside your 14-year old daughter,” the words of the ad, super-imposed against a bathroom-tiled shower wall, read. “Are YOU ok with that?”Â
The ad wasÂ paid for by Minnesota Child Protection League.
It asksÂ parents to contact Minnesota State High School League officials and ask them to oppose aÂ policy for transgender students.
“Minnesota is by no means the first state to have its high school activities association consider such a policy,”Â The Column, a Minnesota nonprofit LGBT media organization reports.Â “Associations in Illinois, California, Maine, Colorado, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Connecticut have had similar policies for several years. Even associations in states that are considered conservative have adopted such policies including Nebraska in 2012, and North Carolina and Virginia in 2014. Minnesotaâ€™s neighbors to the south and west have also approved of the policies. Iowa approved similar policies earlier this spring. The South Dakota High School Activities Association approved such recommendations in June.”
TheÂ Minnesota Child Protection League’s “spokesperson is Barb Anderson, founder of the Parents Action League,” Minneapolis City Pages reports. TheÂ Parents Action League is listed onÂ the Southern Poverty Law Center’s active anti-gay hate groups page.Â
“The greatest threat to our freedom and the health and well-being of our children,” Anderson has said, according to Minneapolis City Pages, “is from this radical homosexual agenda that is just so pervasive.”
TheÂ Star-Tribune’s Vice President ofÂ of marketing and public relations says the ad “met all the requirements of our ad policy.”
ReadersÂ are none too pleased, and took to Twitter to say so:
â€” tummy updates (@raisedinthecity) September 29, 2014
â€” Justin Levy (@justlevy) September 29, 2014
â€” skeet huge (@petehuge) September 29, 2014
â€” C. Ryding-Becker (@calistair) September 29, 2014
â€” angie granheim (@angiestofall) September 29, 2014
â€” Douglas Brull (@DouglasBrull) September 29, 2014
â€” Polly Torkelson (@PollyTorkelson) September 29, 2014
â€” A.J. (@hawkeyeguy85) September 29, 2014
â€” VÃ¤xjÃ¶ Ã…berg (@Vaxjo) September 29, 2014
â€” Dor Dotson (@dordotson) September 29, 2014
I encourage everyone to write the Star Tribune and let them know how you feel about the disgusting anti-trans ad they ran today.
â€” Eric Smith (@ericsmithw) September 29, 2014
By bullshit I mean the idea that trans students would be predators. That is an ignorant statement. The #Strib is now publishing hate speech.
â€” Fox (@foxsmoulder) September 29, 2014
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Comer Announces Public Hearing After Hunter Biden Closed Door Testimony
House Oversight Committee Chairman Jim Comer announced he will hold a public hearing with Hunter Biden after the president’s son testified behind closed doors for most of Wednesday.
“I think this was a great deposition for us, it proved several bits of our evidence, that we’ve been conducting throughout this investigation, but there are also some contradictory statements that I think need further review,” Comer told reporters Wednesday afternoon.
“So this impeachment inquiry will now go to the next phase, which will be a public hearing. And that’s something that I think everyone in the media has been asking a lot of questions about. Something that I know that Mr. Biden and his attorney both demanded, just as I said, when we said we were going to do the deposition first, we will have a public hearing next.”
It’s unclear what other witnesses Chairman Comer and Chairman Jordan will present.
Comer claimed that parts of Hunter Biden’s testimony contradicted some of their previous witness’ testimony, although he refused to elaborate.
Hunter Biden stated in the opening remarks he released publicly Wednesday morning that Chairman Comer and Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan had built their “entire partisan house of cards on lies told by the likes of Gal Luft, Tony Bobulinski, Alexander Smirnov, and Jason Galanis.”
“Luft, who is a fugitive, has been indicted for his lies and other crimes; Smirnov, who has made you dupes in carrying out a Russian disinformation campaign waged against my father, has been indicted for his lies; Bobulinski, who has been exposed for the many false statements he has made, and Galanis, who is serving 14 years in prison for fraud.”
Politico described Hunter Biden’s opening statement as “blistering.”
“I am here today,” the President’s son began, “to provide the Committees with the one uncontestable fact that should end the false premise of this inquiry: I did not involve my father in my business. Not while I was a practicing lawyer, not in my investments or transactions domestic or international, not as a board member, and not as an artist. Never.”
Watch Comer below or at this link.
Comer announces another impeachment public hearing pic.twitter.com/UjlWAs8zbb
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) February 28, 2024
Court Denies Trump Request to Pause $454M Bond Requirement Amid His Cash Liquidity Claim
A New York appeals court has denied Donald Trump’s request to issue a stay on the state Supreme Court’s ruling ordering the ex-president to pay $454 million in the civil business fraud case brought by Attorney General Letitia James. Trump had offered to post a bond of $100 million as he appeals the ruling, as he suggested he did not have sufficient liquid assets – namely, cash – to post the full amount required.
The judge did, however, pause a portion of the ruling barring Trump from operating a business in New York, and also paused the portion of the ruling barring him from obtaining a loan from a bank registered in the State of New York.
“It’s a mixed bag for Trump, and the former president GAINS some ability, in an interim ruling, to continue his business activities and loan-seeking. But the most crucial request, a stay of enforcement of the $450M+ judgment, has been rejected,” reports Just Security’s Adam Klasfeld.
Unless he can obtain a loan or other financing, Trump, as he admitted in his legal filing, may have to sell some of his assets, likely real estate, to come up with enough cash to satisfy the judgment.
The court “also denied Trump’s request to delay his obligation to post $454 million until his appeal of the civil fraud verdict is over,” CNN adds.
Trump Swore Under Oath He Had $400 Million in Cash – Now He’s Telling a Court a Different Story
Attorneys for Donald Trump are arguing the ex-president and self-professed billionaire should not have to post a bond of $454 million as he appeals the New York State Supreme Court’s ruling holding him liable for civil business fraud. Instead, Trump is offering a bond of $100 million.
But as legal experts are pointing out, under oath, Trump stated he had $400 million in liquid assets. And his attorney, Alina Habba, when asked last week if he could come up with $350 million, said on-camera, “Yes, I mean, he does, of course he has money, you know, he’s a billionaire. We know that.”
Question: Judge Engoron says that he wants this $350 million within 30 days. Does Donald Trump have that kind of money sitting around?
Habba: I mean, he does. Of course he has money. You know, he’s a billionaire. Um, we know that pic.twitter.com/O6HRd4lBXi
— Acyn (@Acyn) February 20, 2024
“Trump says he doesn’t have the cash that both he and Habba told everyone he had, and that ‘properties would have to be sold’ to come up with the money,” Filipkowski adds.
He sums up the situation: “Trump under oath in his deposition: I’m worth at least $10 billion, I have over $3 billion in tangible assets, I have $400 million in cash. Trump to appellate court: I can come up with $100 million and I need more time to sell stuff to come up with the rest.”
Indeed, The New York Times reported earlier this month, “Mr. Trump claimed under oath last year that he was sitting on more than $400 million in cash.”
New York Attorney General Letitia James was quick to urge the court to deny Trump’s offer of $100 million, or, as Just Security’s Adam Klasfeld reports, “to deny Trump’s application to pause enforcement of the judgment pending appeal, including the disgorgement, monitoring, and loan prohibition.”
“Defendants all but concede that Mr. Trump has insufficient liquid assets to satisfy the judgment amount; defendants would need ‘to raise capital’ to do so,” James writes, as Klasfeld notes.
Klasfeld points to this section of Trump’s motion that reads: “In the absence of a stay on the terms herein outlined, properties would likely need to be sold to raise capital under exigent circumstances, and there would be no way to recover any property sold following a successful appeal and no means to recover the resulting financial losses from the Attorney General.”
In other words, Trump’s attorneys are saying he would have to sell assets, or properties, at less than market value, and should he win his appeal, he would have no means to be compensated for the difference in value.
“Trump has less than 30 days to post the money to prevent the New York attorney general’s office from taking steps to execute the judgment, including potentially move to seize properties,” CNN adds. “It is not yet clear how he plans to cover the payment.”
Watch the video above or at this link.
Image via Shutterstock
- News3 days ago
‘How Extremism Is Normalized’: Schlapp Furious as Critics Slam CPAC Over Report of Nazis
- News3 days ago
Republicans Want to Cancel Biden State of the Union: ‘No Reason We Need to Invite Him’
- News2 days ago
‘Conspiring With Putin’: Democratic Congressman Brings the Hammer Down on Jim Jordan
- News2 days ago
Republican Furious No ‘Real Wins,’ Like on ‘Transgender Surgeries’ as Shutdown Looms
- News1 day ago
House Republicans Move to Upstage SOTU With New Hur Investigation Subpoena and Hearing
- News3 days ago
‘BadgerPundit’: Top Trump Attorney in Fake Electors Plot Hid Secret Twitter Account
- COMMENTARY2 days ago
Stephen Miller: Arrest ‘Commie’ Teachers, Use Government Power to ‘Defeat Evil’
- News2 days ago
At the White House Johnson Says Biden Must Use Executive Orders After Calling Them ‘Gimmicks’