Connect with us

4th Circuit Denies Request For Stay – Virginia Same-Sex Marriages To Start Next Week

Published

on

The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals just denied a request to stay a ruling on same-sex marriage in Virginia. Marriages could begin next week.

Late last month the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a February federal court ruling that struck down Virginia’s ban on same-sex marriage. The Court today denied a request for a stay on that ruling. Barring intervention by the U.S. Supreme Court, marriages for same-sex couples in Virginia will be able to start next week.

Freedom to Marry reports that today’s ruling “simply says, ‘Upon consideration of submissions relative to the motion to stay mandate, the court denies the motion,'” and notes that it “means that unless there is further action from the United States Supreme Court, a mandate will be issued in the ruling on Monday, August 18 and same-sex couples will have the freedom to marry and have their marriages respected in VA.”

Claire Guthrie Gastañaga, Executive Director of the ACLU of Virginia, said today: “We hope that the Supreme Court will leave this ruling in place, so that same-sex couples may begin marrying right away. Our clients have already waited far too long to exercise their constitutional right to marry, or to have their marriages from other states recognized.”

Chris Geidner at Buzzfeed adds:

Absent further action, though, the 4th Circuit, under its rules, is due to issue its mandate in the case seven days from the Wednesday’s stay denial, which would allow same-sex couples to marry on August 20.

As to the case itself, Herring filed a certiorari petition at the Supreme Court on Friday, asking the court to review the case so that a national resolution can be reached on the issue. The local clerk, Michèle McQuigg, who is the clerk of the circuit court in Prince William County, also has said that she will be filing a certiorari petition.

Here is today’s ruling, via Equality Case Files:

 

Image via YouTube

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

TOO BAD SO SAD

Eric Trump Melts Down on Fox News Because He’s Getting ‘Subpoena After Subpoena After Subpoena’

Published

on

Eric Trump complained on Sunday that the Trump Organization and the Trump family is facing an onslaught of investigations and that they are forced to respond to subpoenas “every single day.”

The former president’s son made the remarks during an interview on Fox News with host Maria Bartiromo.

“The problem with the Democrats is they dig so deep that they always find themselves,” Trump said. “And the reason I’m frustrated about this is every single day since my father ran for president, my father and our entire family and our company has been under investigation. Every single day, Maria, we get subpoena after subpoena after subpoena.”

“But, I mean, they weaponized the entire system in this country,” he added. “They’ve weaponized the DOJ. They’ve weaponized our military. They weaponized the educational system in this country. They’ve weaponized the medical system in this country. The Democrats weaponize absolutely everything they can to use again their political opponents.”

Watch the video below from Fox News.

 

Continue Reading

RIGHT WING EXTREMISM

Trump Supporter Wearing Dead Animal Refuses to Believe Jan. 6 Was Violent — Even After CNN Showed Him Video

Published

on

One of the 400 to 450 people who rallied in DC in support of those who stormed the Capitol on January 6th refused to believe that the Trump supporters who sought to overturn the election were violent.

CNN’s Shimon Prokupecz interviewed a Trump supporter wearing an animal hat who was clearly misinformed about the events on January 6th.

“It’s a public building. I mean people have been held all this time, I think the most severe charge that any of them have is trespassing,” the man falsely claimed.

“But there are some who were charged with assaulting officers,” Prokupecz noted.

“Those are lies,” the fur-clad Trump supporter argued.

“So you don’t believe the video?” Prokupecz asked.

The man claimed he had seen no such video. So CNN showed him video — and he still didn’t believe it.

Video of the man singing a song about Ashli Babbitt was captured by HuffPost reporter Ryan J. Reilly.

Prokupecz offered his analysis to CNN anchor Jim Acosta.

“It just seems, Jim, that it would take almost a miracle to convince some of the people who were here that this was a very serious situation. They all have downplayed it. In this instance, this video blaming the police for what happened and they should have gotten out of the way,” he said.

“They’re in a state of denial, is what it is,” Acosta replied. “I mean, that’s just extraordinary to meet somebody who says show me the video and then you show them the video — and they’re still not convinced. It just shows you how sinister this world of disinformation is that we’re all living in right now.”

Watch:

 

Continue Reading

NOT EVEN CLOSE

Sean Spicer Bitterly Complains the Press Is Treating Jen Psaki Better Than They Did Him

Published

on

As part of a deep dive into the growing popularity of White House press secretary Jen Psaki who has a legion of admirers on social media due to her handling of press, former Donald Trump press secretary Sean Spicer complained to the New York Times that she has gotten a free pass from the media that he never got.

According to the report, even Peter Doocy of Fox News had high praise for Psaki despite his almost daily battles with Psaki that have become widely shared on Twitter and evening newscasts.

“It never feels like I’m getting smacked down or vice versa,” Doocy admitted. “I understand why it looks like that, some of the ways that stuff gets clipped, but it doesn’t feel like that in the room.”

He added, “When I got back from my wedding she made a point to tell everybody in the briefing room that I just got married. That’s a transcript I can print out and show to my kids one day.”

As for Spicer, who eventually resigned following combative press conferences that were famously mocked on Saturday Night Live — with actor Melissa McCarthy portraying a bullying and manic Spicer — he thinks he was held to a higher standard than the current press secretary.

“‘I walked into the lion’s den every day — she walks into a bunch of kittens,'” Sean Spicer, Mr. Trump’s first press secretary and now the 6 p.m. anchor on Newsmax, said in an interview,” the Times’ Michael Grynbaum wrote.

Spicer also took exception to Psaki taking a dig at him during a press conference after President Joe Biden asked him to resign from the board of the United States Military Academy when she was asked about his performance in her job as well as appearances by Kellyanne Conway defending Donald Trump.

Psaki replied, “I will let others evaluate whether they think Kellyanne Conway and Sean Spicer and others were qualified.”

That led Spicer to complain, “Jen chose to stand and question my qualifications and services to this country. Once she did that, the gloves were off.”

You can read more here.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.