Connect with us

11 Years After Mandated By US Supreme Court, Alabama Court Strikes Down Anti-Sodomy Law

Published

on

On Friday an Alabama appeals court ruled the state’s ban on consensual same-sex intercourse unconstitutional. Prompted by the conviction of a man in 2010 and his subsequent yearlong incarceration, this decision (Dewayne Williams v. State of Alabama) comes 11 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled all anti-sodomy laws in the United States unconstitutional in the case Lawrence v. Texas.

By the time of Lawrence v. Texas in 2003, all but 14 states had removed their bans through legislative or judicial action. Yet, despite the Supreme Court ruling, Alabama is only the third state whose statute was overturned with the case to actually remove the anti-sodomy law from the books, along with Montana and Virginia.

LOOK: What Did Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal Say About Baton Rouge Illegal Arrests Of Gay Men?

Last year, the arrest of 12 men in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, attracted national attention. The incident substantiated claims that police were using the existing statute to target gay men for persecution, despite it being a clear violation of federal law. The district attorney refused to prosecute the man, saying the law was unenforceable, and the case was dropped. Nonetheless, moves to formally repeal the ban have since beendefeated.

States that still retain their anti-sodomy laws are Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Utah.

James McDonald is a Brooklyn-native currently based in Scotland. When not pouring through the letters of Mary, Queen of Scots in pursuit of an MLitt Scottish History degree at the University of Glasgow, you’ll find him typing away. To date, his writing has been featured in Haaretz, the Huffington Post, the Lambda Literary Review, Gayletter, Thought Catalog and The Outmost, with more (hopefully) on the way. Follow him@jamesian7 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

AT THE VERY LEAST

Debate Commission Will Let Moderators Cut Candidates’ Mics

Published

on

After President Donald Trump wholly ignored both the debate rules he agreed to and the moderator he agree to, the Committee on Presidential Debates said it would examine options to get control him.

They have.

The Commission will allow future debate moderators to cut candidates’ microphones if they deem necessary, according to CBS News’ Norah O’Donnell.

That would be one option of several moderators can expect to be given – it’s unclear if the candidates will have to agree to the updated rules.

The Commission issued a statement Wednesday in response to the disaster caused by President Trump. The organization said Tuesday’s “debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues.”

They have vowed they “are going to be making changes” to avoid a replay of last night’s out of control catastrophe.

President Trump turned the debate into what many called a “shit show.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Federal Judge Orders Barr to Release Redacted Portions of Mueller Report

Published

on

A federal judge has ordered the Dept. of Justice to publish redacted portions of the Mueller report after determining Attorney General Bill Barr had not met his burden to satisfy keeping the information privileged.

“Based on the Court’s review of the unredacted version of the Mueller Report, the Court concludes that the Department has failed to satisfy its burden to demonstrate that the withheld material is protected by the deliberative process privilege,” U.S. District Court Judge Reggie Walton wrote, as The Hill reports.

The redactions are important. They detail the process by which Mueller’s team decided to charge or not charge individuals with crimes. The full extent of who that includes in the report is not known, but there was great discussion after the report was released about why President Donald Trump had not been charged.

Judge Walton was appointed by President George W. Bush.

This is a breaking news and developing story. 

Continue Reading

WHATEVER

Eric Trump: I Am Not Gay

Published

on

Eric Trump, President Donald Trump’s middle son, has come out “to clarify” that he is not gay or bisexual.

On Tuesday the 36-year old Trump Organization vice president appeared to tell Fox News he is a member of the LGBT community, in a clumsy attempt to capitalize on an opportunity to help his father win votes.

“The LGBT community they are incredible and you should see how they’ve come out in full force for my father every single day. I’m part of that community and we love the man and thank you for protecting our neighborhoods and protecting our cities,” Eric Trump told “Fox & Friends.”

He apparently was quoting some hypothetical member of the LGBTQ community, but many who watched him did not walk away with that assumption.

The New York Post reports “Eric affirmed he is not ‘part of’ the LGBT community after appearing to come out in a televised interview Tuesday.”

“A friend of the Trump family told The Post that ‘he misspoke’ when appearing to say he was ‘part of that community’ hours before his father’s first debate with Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.”

Eric Trump later spoke directly with the New York tabloid.

“To clarify, many of our close friends are part of the LGBT community, which was the intent of my statement — the left has taken that vote for granted for a long time and support from the gay community for my father is incredible,” Trump said.

Support for President Trump from the LGBTQ community is not “incredible.”

A June Morning Consult poll of more than 30,000 registered voters found Joe Biden lead Donald Trump among LGBTQ voters 64 percent to 19 percent.

President Donald Trump has systematically targeted and harmed the entire LGBTQ community by rolling back hard-won protections enacted by President Barack Obama. His attacks on ObamaCare and decision to fight all the way to the Supreme Court protections for people with pre-existing conditions directly puts millions of LGBTQ people at potentially deadly risk.

“As to me personally, as I think you know, I am a happily married man to my wife, Lara,” Eric Trump said, “affirming” he is not bisexual either.

Here’s video of Eric Trump from Tuesday:

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.