Connect with us

Watch The Awesome Rachel Maddow And Ellen DeGeneres Talk Politics And Gay Marriage

Published

on

Rachel Maddow yesterday talked with Ellen DeGeneres about this political season, same-sex marriage, Clinton Eastwood’s chair, Ellen’s claim that Michelle Obama did “cheat” during their push-ups contest, and gangnam style, among other issues.

“Imagine that Christmas happened only once every four years in your life, then you would be a pundit,” Rachel Maddow said. “If you care about politics like I do because you care about people competing about different ideas for what the country should do, 60 million people watch these guys fight about that in the debates,” Maddow told Ellen DeGeneres. “That’s awesome. It’s Democracy Christmas. I love it.”

When Ellen mentioned that President Obama came out for gay marriage, “which is a huge thing,” she received thunderous applause.

“You see public opinion on gay marriage, not just changing, heading toward, people being more accepting of marriage equality, but it’s changing faster and faster and faster,” Maddow explained. “But the Republican Party keeps running politicians for office who are super rigidly anti-gay, so Romney and Ryan are not just anti-gay marriage, they want to change the United States Constitution to ban gay couples from getting married. Really? The Constitution needs to change for that?”

Rachel Maddow called Republican politicians “absolutists in being anti-gay,” and are “still fighting each other over who’s more anti-gay,” but noted Republican voters are not. “The ground is shifting under their feet on this.”

Maddow, who says she dances with her dog, confessed she goes home “wired” after her show, which ends at 10:00 PM, and watches “Jersey Shore.” No one’s perfect.

Curiously, there was no mention of Maddow’s new-ish book, Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power.

 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3Lu84b3x-_k%3Fversion%3D3%26hl%3Den_US

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

BYE

Parscale Out

Published

on

Brad Parscale, a senior advisor with the Trump campaign who was demoted in July, has just announced he is quitting the President’s re-election effort entirely. Parscale was arrested by police over the weekend when his wife called 911 to say he was intoxicated, threatening self harm, and had weapons.

“I am stepping away from my company and any role in the campaign for the immediate future to focus on my family and get help dealing with the overwhelming stress,” Parscale said in a statement, as CNN reports.

Parscale’s wife Candice had told police, according to the official incident report, that her husband had been violent with her. In a statement Wednesday she denied her previous remarks.

“The statements I made on Sunday have been misconstrued, let it be clear my husband was not violent towards me that day or any day prior,” she said.

The police report states she said “Brad Parscale hits her.”

According to the Daily Mail, Parscale is under investigation for “stealing” $40 million from the Trump campaign and $10 million from the RNC. Those entities have denied the report.

Related: Florida Police Release Body Cam Footage of Arrest of Former Trump Campaign Manager Brad Parscale

Continue Reading

OPINION

Chris Wallace ‘Sad’ How Debate ‘Turned Out’: ‘Never Dreamt That It Would Go Off the Tracks’

Published

on

Chris Wallace, the Fox News anchor who more than most at the right wing cable network stands up to President Donald Trump, was exceptionally passive in his moderation of the first presidential debate of 2020.

He was equally passive in how he discussed and described his performance.

“I’m just sad with the way last night turned out,” Wallace passively told The New York Times’ Michael Grynbaum.

“I never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did,” he continued, appearing to take no responsibility for what was overwhelmingly described on social media Tuesday night as a “shit show.”

Continuing down the path of passivity, Wallace lamented it was “a terrible missed opportunity.”

“I’ve read some of the reviews, I know people think, Well, gee, I didn’t jump in soon enough,” he added. “I guess I didn’t realize — and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 — that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.”

There in fact was every reason to believe Trump would do what he did Tuesday night – bully, attack, threaten, lie, talk over his opponent, talk over the moderator, refuse to answer direct questions, and embarrass the nation – because he’s done it before, to varying degrees.

“I’m a pro. I’ve never been through anything like this,” Wallace says.

He also refused to blame the president for destroying the entire debate.

Asked directly if Mr. Trump had derailed the debate, Mr. Wallace replied, “Well, he certainly didn’t help.”

Care to elaborate? “No,” Mr. Wallace said. “To quote the president, ‘It is what it is.’”

Wallace seems keenly aware of the power of public opinion, and clearly allowed that to impact his role.

“People have to remember, and too many people forget, both of these candidates have the support of tens of millions of Americans.”

The heads of Fox News, the Murdoch family, praised Wallace, issued a memo supporting him, and toasted him.

Wallace does not seem to have any regrets.

“Generally speaking, I did as well as I could, so I don’t have any second thoughts there,” Mr. Wallace said, in conclusion. “I’m just disappointed with the results. For me, but much more importantly, I’m disappointed for the country, because it could have been a much more useful evening than it turned out to be.”

Continue Reading

AT THE VERY LEAST

Debate Commission Will Let Moderators Cut Candidates’ Mics

Published

on

After President Donald Trump wholly ignored both the debate rules he agreed to and the moderator he agree to, the Committee on Presidential Debates said it would examine options to get control him.

They have.

The Commission will allow future debate moderators to cut candidates’ microphones if they deem necessary, according to CBS News’ Norah O’Donnell.

That would be one option of several moderators can expect to be given – it’s unclear if the candidates will have to agree to the updated rules.

The Commission issued a statement Wednesday in response to the disaster caused by President Trump. The organization said Tuesday’s “debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues.”

They have vowed they “are going to be making changes” to avoid a replay of last night’s out of control catastrophe.

President Trump turned the debate into what many called a “shit show.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.