Michele Bachmann (R-MN),Â founder of the U.S. House of Representatives’ Tea Party Caucus,Â belongs to a denomination of theÂ Lutheran Church and has been the foster parent to 23 children. Her radical, bigoted, anti-gay religious views dictate her political policies and focus.
In 2004, Michele Bachmann, then Minnesota state Senator Bachmann, attempted to get an anti-gay marriage amendment on the Minnesota ballot as a voter referendum to write discrimination directly into her state’s constitution. It failed. Most of these quotes are from Bachmann in 2004.
Here are Michele Bachmann’s top ten anti-gay statements:
- â€œItâ€™s part of Satan I think to say that this is â€œgay.â€ Itâ€™s anything but gay.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.
- â€œIf youâ€™re involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, itâ€™s bondage. It is personal bondage, personal despair and personal enslavement.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.
- â€œYou have a teacher talking about his gayness. (The elementary school student) goes home then and says â€œMom! Whatâ€™s gayness? We had a teacher talking about this today.â€ The mother says â€œWell, thatâ€™s when a man likes other men, and they donâ€™t like girls.â€ The boyâ€™s eight. Heâ€™s thinking, â€œHmm. I donâ€™t like girls. I like boys. Maybe Iâ€™m gay.â€ And you think, â€œOh, thatâ€™s, thatâ€™s way out there. The kid isnâ€™t gonna think that.â€ Are you kidding? That happens all the time. You donâ€™t think that this is intentional, the message thatâ€™s being given to these kids? Thatâ€™s child abuse.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.
- â€œDonâ€™t misunderstand. I am not here bashing people who are homosexuals, who are lesbians, who are bisexual, who are transgender. We need to have profound compassion for people who are dealing with the very real issue of sexual dysfunction in their life and sexual identity disorders.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, on homosexuality as a mental disorder,Â speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.
- â€œIt isnâ€™t that some gay will get some rights. Itâ€™s that everyone else in our state will lose rights. For instance, parents will lose the right to protect and direct the upbringing of their children. Because our K-12 public school system, of which ninety per cent of all youth are in the public school system, they will be required to learn that homosexuality is normal, equal and perhaps you should try it. And that will occur immediately, that all schools will begin teaching homosexuality.â€ –Â Senator Michele Bachmann, on what will happen if her same-sex marriage ban amendment fails to pass in 2004,Â appearing as guest on radio program â€œProphetic Views Behind The News,â€ hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 6, 2004
- â€œThis is a very serious matter, because it is our children who are the prize for this community, they are specifically targeting our children.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, on the gay community and same-sex marriage,Â appearing as guest on radio program â€œProphetic Views Behind The Newsâ€, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 20, 2004.
- â€œThe sex curriculum will be essentially by taught by the local gay community.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, if her same-sex marriage ban amendment does not pass in 2004,Â appearing as guest on radio program â€œProphetic Views Behind The Newsâ€, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 20, 2004.
- â€œAnd what a bizarre time weâ€™re in, Jan, when a judge will say to little children that you canâ€™t say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program â€œProphetic Views Behind The Newsâ€, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 6, 2004.
- “Our children will be forced to learn that homosexuality is normal and natural and that perhaps they should try it, and thatâ€™ll be very soon in our public schools all across the state, beginning in kindergarten.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program â€œProphetic Views Behind The Newsâ€, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 6, 2004.
- â€œWe are wide open and vulnerable and in all likelihood an activist judge will strike down our Defense of Marriage Act, our state law against gay marriage, this year. And in all likelihood, we will have gay marriage in 2004 in Minnesota , if we donâ€™t get this amendment on the ballot for November.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program â€œProphetic Views Behind The Newsâ€, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 20, 2004.
Here’s a bonus one:
- â€œThis is not about hating homosexuals. I donâ€™t. I love homosexuals.â€ â€”Â Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program â€œProphetic Views Behind The Newsâ€, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 20, 2004.
In 2009, Bachmann helped raise funds forÂ You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International, aÂ Christian youth ministryÂ that holds assemblies inÂ public schoolsÂ andÂ was founded by the Bradlee Dean, the preacher who was recently forced to stop delivering his invocation in the Minnesota legislature because it so offended even the Republicans there.
Many of these quotes were said to radio host and founder of Olive Tree Ministries, Jan Markell, whose website warns,
“It says in Revelation 13 that there will some day be a one-world system; a one-world government. Some have termed this â€œthe new world orderâ€. Another term heard frequently that means the same thing is â€œglobalismâ€. Various organizations are playing into this. The leading ones include the United Nations, the European Union, and NATO, but more minor players would be world trade organizations like the â€œNorth American Free Trade Associationâ€ (NAFTA). The Antichrist will be the chief globalist and will head up this one-world system during the Tribulation. The stage is being set.”
Thanks toÂ The Bachmann Record for the quotes. Visit them for others, including non-LGBT specific quotes.
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Watch: Republican Wrongly Tells Constituents ‘Of Course’ Inflation Is 40% in Ad Shopping, Complaining About Prices
A sitting U.S. Congresswoman who may have violated a federal conflict of interest law by incorrectly reporting receipt of $500,000 in stocks took a page out of Dr. Oz’s playbook Wednesday, cutting an ad showing her shopping – not for crudité, but for back-to-school supplies as she complains about prices while falsely claiming U.S. inflation is 40%.
Rep. María Elvira Salazar, Republican of Florida, who voted against the Inflation Reduction Act, recorded the ad (below) in Spanish with English subtitles inside a Target and posted it to her personal Twitter account.
In it she falsely states the rate of inflation. Current U.S. inflation is 8.5% annually. For the month of July it was at zero percent, which caused the annual rate to drop from 9.1% in June to 8.5%.
Many other countries have much higher inflation. The UK’s annual rate just jumped to 10.1%, a quarter of what she claimed the U.S. inflation rate is. Inflation is highest in Venezuela at 1198%. Sudan is at 340%. Argentina is at 51.2%, and Turkey is at 36.1%.
Congresswoman Salazar voted against the Inflation Reduction Act, as did every House and Senate Republican. Defensively, after she posted her video, on Twitter she wrote: “Let me be clear: the Inflation Reduction Act will do NOTHING to reduce inflation. Instead, it’s going to raise your taxes, send American jobs overseas, and weaponize the IRS to come for your hard-earned dollars.” All of which is false for the vast majority of Americans.
In a press release targeting Rep. Salazar the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) announced the House passed “the Inflation Reduction Act, broadly popular legislation that will lower the cost of prescription drugs, health insurance, and everyday energy costs — all while reducing the deficit and carbon emissions, by making the wealthiest corporations finally pay their fair share.”
According to reported Insider, Salazar “appears to have violated a federal conflicts-of-interest law by improperly disclosing a 6-figure stock trade.”
“On June 10, Salazar disclosed in a congressional financial filing that, on February 14, she had received up to $500,000 worth of publicly traded stock in Cano Health Inc., a company that provides health care services for seniors.”
Watch Rep. Salazar’s video below or at this link:
Hoy es el primer día de clases en Miami-Dade y los precios de los útiles escolares están por las nubes. El aumento de la inflación en Miami es el resultado directo de las malas decisiones tomadas en Washington… ¡Los padres no pueden pagar esto!
— María Elvira Salazar 🇺🇸 (@MaElviraSalazar) August 17, 2022
Weisselberg Expected to ‘Criminally Implicate’ Trump Organization in Plea Deal Admitting to 15 Felonies: Reports
Allen Weisselberg, the ex-Trump Organization CFO who has worked for the former president’s family since 1970, is expected to plead guilty to 15 felonies and “criminally implicate” the real estate empire.
“The Trump Organization’s longtime chief financial officer will admit to conspiring with the Trump Organization and Trump Payroll Corporation in a 15-year tax fraud scheme while head of the company’s finances at a Manhattan Supreme Court hearing on Thursday,” the Daily News reports. “Allen Weisselberg is expected to criminally implicate Trump’s family real estate business when he pleads guilty to criminal tax fraud charges, a source familiar with the matter told The News on Wednesday.”
Weisselberg is also expected to agree to testify against the Trump companies, and agree to a five-month sentence at Rikers Island, the horrific New York City jail that is slated to be shut down by 2026.
The New York Times calls the impending plea deal “a serious blow to the company that could imperil its chances in an upcoming trial.”
This is a breaking news and developing story.
Dr. Oz Trounced in Newsmax Interview as Host Demands Explanation for ‘Wegner’s’ and ‘Crudité’ Ad
Republican Mehmet Oz is having a tough time in his entrance to Pennsylvania politics. The multi-millionaire celebrity TV doctor, running for a U.S. Senate seat, released a video which this week went viral with liberals – and his Democratic opponent, Lt. Governor John Fetterman – picking it apart.
In the video, an attack ad on President Joe Biden, who he is not running against, Dr. Oz says he’s shopping at “Wegner’s,” a grocery store that does not exist. Internet sleuths deduced he was shopping at Redner’s, although some believe he was at Wegmans — including a Newsmax TV host, who Oz did not correct.
Why did he get something as simple as the name of a beloved Pennsylvania grocery store wrong?
“I was exhausted,” Oz told Newsmax, after “campaigning 18 hours a day.”
He also admitted he gets the names of his children wrong.
Curiously, the 39-second video Oz recorded is from April, and it got criticized then, but he left it up – only for the Fetterman campaign to go after it again. Back in April it led to questions about his tremendous wealth, put at around $400 million, and calls of being a “carpetbagger,” as many say he actually lives in New Jersey, not Pennsylvania.
Inflation is hurting American families. Under Joe Biden, gas prices are skyrocketing and food prices are rising. We must stop the reckless spending. This is outrageous! Thanks a lot, Joe. pic.twitter.com/8kNil6upn8
— Dr. Mehmet Oz (@DrOz) April 6, 2022
Politico reports the Fetterman campaign “said it had raised more than $500,000 from the crudité video alone — including a sticker of the non-existent ‘Wegners.’ ‘Oz clearly has never been in a grocery store before. That’s why this is resonating with supporters across Pennsylvania,’ said Brendan McPhillips, Fetterman’s campaign manager.”
The Fetterman campaign appears to have created a “Wegner’s Groceries” account on Twitter, and is pounding Oz with snark.
First ad campaign pic.twitter.com/nzSGbr1mK1
— T.J. Harley (@tj_harley) August 16, 2022
Mmmmm 😋 crudité pic.twitter.com/SVqQDGOKEd
— John Fetterman (@JohnFetterman) August 16, 2022
— T.J. Harley (@tj_harley) August 16, 2022
Meanwhile, Pennsylvania voters do not appear to be impressed with Oz.
One Republican poll shows Fetterman beating Oz by 18 points.
“New poll conducted by GOP firm Public Opinion Strategies for Pittsburgh Works Together shows big leads for Dems in the PA Senate and governors races. Fetterman up 18 points over Oz,” reports Politico’s Alex Isenstadt. The Democratic nominee for governor, Josh Shapiro is up 15 points over Republican Doug Mastriano, he adds.
Back over at Newsmax, here was host Shaun Kraisman hammering Oz:
Asked about mispronouncing ‘Wegmans,’ Mehmet Oz: “I was exhausted…I’ve gotten my kids’ names wrong as well. I don’t think that’s a measure of someone’s ability to lead the Commonwealth” pic.twitter.com/OZDjy0iN4d
— Jason Campbell (@JasonSCampbell) August 17, 2022
“As you know, this video went viral,” Kraisman says, as Mediate reports. “You were at Wegmans going through the veggie aisle, essentially hitting on inflation and how things cost more, putting together a plate of crudité would cost you more than 20 bucks. You said that you were at Wegner’s – this is a very popular local grocery in this region called Wegmans.”
Kraisman later says, “I don’t mean to fixate on it, but just for those watching in Pennsylvania, you know how particular many people are about their groceries, what happened with Wegmans and Wegner’s? Can you explain that to them?”
“Yeah. I was exhausted. Well, you’re campaigning 18 hours a day. I’ve gotten my kids’ names wrong as well. I don’t think that’s a measure of someone’s ability to lead the Commonwealth.”
Kraisman also says, “it does get to the factor: Is Dr. Oz relatable to the everyday, hardworking American there in Pennsylvania?”
“We’ll do whatever we need to do to make sure the people of Pennsylvania respect what we’re about,” Oz replies, “and that we’re going to work as hard as we can to fix their problems. It’s what I’ve done my whole life. It’s what I’ll continue to do. I challenged my opponent. What have you done? Rolling your sleeves up in your own life to make life better for the people of Pennsylvania?”
Before he was elected Lt. Governor, Fetterman was elected mayor of Braddock, Pennsylvania, four times, and served for 13 years.
Oz concludes, “I’m the person who put us on the right track and addressed many of the challenges. Cost of living, crime, and our schools that afflict so many Pennsylvanians.”
Some have also questioned if Oz understands what job he’s running for.
U.S. Senators don’t have tremendous responsibility over their state’s cost of living, crime, and school issues. Nor do they “lead the Commonwealth,” as he said to the Newsmax host.
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM3 days ago
‘Arsonist’ Trump Criticized for Ratcheting Up Anger in Fox News Interview as He Claims He ‘Will Do Whatever’ to Help
- News3 days ago
Rumors Swirl as ‘Flight Risk’ Trump Claims FBI Took His ‘Three Passports’ – He Can Still ‘Ask for Asylum’
- CRIME2 days ago
Man Taken Into Custody and Charged After Allegedly Making Death Threats Against FBI Following Mar-a-Lago Raid
- COMMENTARY2 days ago
Trump’s Weaponization of DOJ Notice to Pick Up His Passports Negates Claim He Will ‘Do Whatever’ to Tamp Down Anger
- News3 days ago
‘This One Is Different’: Trump Allies Increasingly Concerned About ‘Deeply Serious’ Scandal
- CRIME16 hours ago
Secret Service Held Onto Violent Jan. 6 Threat Against Pelosi, Watchdog Says
- BREAKING NEWS3 days ago
‘Direct Personal Knowledge’: Federal Judge Denies Lindsey Graham’s Request to Quash Subpoena Ordering Him to Testify
- News2 days ago
Does Trump Still Have Classified Docs? DOJ May Think So After Asking Judge to Keep Affidavit Sealed Former Fed Says