Tea Party, GOP Leader Who Sent Racist Obama-As-A-Monkey Email Won’t Quit

by David Badash on April 18, 2011

in Bigotry Watch,News,Politics

Post image for Tea Party, GOP Leader Who Sent Racist Obama-As-A-Monkey Email Won’t Quit

A top California Tea Party and GOP leader refuses to quit after sending a racist email with a photo depicting Obama as a monkey in a family portrait. Marilyn Davenport has described her racist email with the above photo as “just an Internet joke,” saying, “Oh, come on! Everybody who knows me knows that I am not a racist. It was a joke. I have friends who are black. Besides, I only sent it to a few people—mostly people I didn’t think would be upset by it.”

Davenport, who is a top Southern California Republican party official and a Southern California Tea Party activist, reportedly sent the email with the title, “Now you know why no birth certificate,” is now in hot water with the Republican Party and the right-wing media.

Howard Portnoy at Hot Air calls Davenport’s actions, “The last thing the GOP needed,” and claims, amazingly, that they “threaten not only to reignite baseless charges that any criticism directed at the president by the right is a function of racism but to help reenergize his flagging base.” Because how could anyone, after three years of right-wing, GOP, and Tea Party racism, time and time and time again, be seen as racism? Portnoy goes on to say, this time rightly, “The damage is done—and I predict the repercussions will be long-lasting and devastating.” (Emphasis added.)

In response to calls for her to quit her Tea Party and GOP leadership roles, Davenport wrote to R. Scott Moxley at The OC Weekly, saying, “I’m sorry if my email offended anyone, I simply found it amusing regarding the character of Obama and all the questions surrounding his origin of birth. In no way did I even consider the fact he’s half-black when I sent out the email.”

“In fact, the thought never entered my mind until one or two other people tried to make this about race. We all know a double standard applies regarding this President,” Davenport continued, after sending a subsequent email to the same recipient list, demanding to know who “the coward” was who supplied The OC Weekly with the original racist email. “I received plenty of e-mails about George Bush that I didn’t particularly like yet there was no “cry” in the media about them. One only has to go to YouTube or Google Images to see a plethora of lampooning videos and pictures about Obama, Bush and other politicians. That being said, I will NOT resign my Central Committee position over this matter that the average person knows and agrees is much to do about nothing.

“Again, for those select few who might be truly offended by viewing a copy of an email I sent to a select list of friends and acquaintances, unlike the liberal left when they do the same, I offer my sincere apologies to you – the email was not meant for you.

“For any of my friends or acquaintances who were the recipients of my email and were truly offended, please call me so I may offer a sincere verbal apology to you. Sincerely, Marilyn Davenport.”

Moxley broke the story Friday and wrote, “Orange County might be a beautiful oceanfront locale, but it’s also home to Holocaust deniers, vicious anti-gay bigots and freakish big-haired televangelists.” He notes this is reportedly the Orange County GOP’s third racist episode to make national headlines, with this image (above) of what the Obama White House might come to look like, according to Orange County Republican Mayor Dean Grose, who sent it in an email to supporters.

Carpenter April 18, 2011 at 8:47 am

How is that racism? If anything it is speciesism.
Are Monkey's a 'seperate' race? Are they human beings?

please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primate
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey (Primate classification)

Look I understand that discrimination against whole species exist.
I happen to HATE rats. But that does not make me a racist.

Personally I think it is mean to the monkeys to portray a human as thier child.

andre April 18, 2011 at 11:23 am

imom007 November 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm

But that's true. We all do.

Chuck April 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Please, you know this is racist and unacceptable or at least I hope you do. If not, you're as bad as the morons that are taking over this country

John lindsey April 18, 2011 at 9:18 am

Its just sad she just dose not get it, wait she dose get it she just got busted,knw she must think we are as dumb as the monkey in the pic. She gets everything that may come to her ,and like a 5 y/o old child uses the exscuse well jimmy did it too, like the old saying goes jimmy jummped off a cliff, and wrote bad things about pres. Bush. This is sad you should apologize to yuor kids first.

Erika April 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

As a "leader" within your party, you set a mighty low standard.

Brandy Fike April 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm

wah, take a Joke. But white people are called Crackers do you see white people on the news doing a story on that with the News Media. Lighten up Sista

Grigori April 18, 2011 at 10:13 am

"I will NOT resign my Central Committee position over this matter that the average person knows and agrees is much to do about nothing."

Perhaps the average person believes such nonsense, but that doesn't say much for the average person. The above average person, by such a standard, is acutely aware of what mentality this picture represents.

Grigori April 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

Oh, and it's "much ADO about nothing," not "to do," you teabaggin' turkey.

Brandy Fike April 19, 2011 at 5:55 pm

wow. people get so angry over small issues as an email. There are much worse things going on

Lady Purvis April 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

First of all, this monkey, (MARILYN DAVENPORT) should be fired! I'm so glad that the "true and living" God is revealing the true motives and intent of the heart of the GOP's. I'm not saying that all GOP's are mean spirited and hateful because I have "white friends".

Chuck April 18, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Amen to that sister

Lady Purvis April 18, 2011 at 10:58 am

However, I'm saying that this "great country" that you claim to love so much should have folks such as yourselves who are loving, full of compassion and respectful of all mankind instead of The Tea Party folks and some of the GOP's exuding hate, division, discord, jealousy, malice and GREED. This is very UNAMERICAN. Remember, your founding fathers, you and I are ALL IMMIGRANTS. America belonged to the Native Indian first. Is this the AMERICA that the so-called founding fathers were made of? If so, then we may want to REFORM THE ENTIRE CONSTITUTION. How would you like it if someone posted you, your mom and dad posing as three monkeys on the internet? Would it be a joke then? Since you like jokes…maybe that's what folks should start doing to you on the internet. No but, like our GREAT PRESIDENT WE WILL TAKE THE HIGH ROAD. Well, since you all claim to be "so holy and righteous" let me leave you with this, Psalm 7:5; He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made".

Tsolo April 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Some of you just dont get it, this is SNL or MAD TV. This is from a GOP Leader and that is very sad.

Tsolo April 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Some of you just dont get it, this is not SNL or MAD TV. This is from a GOP Leader and that is very sad.

Carolyn Ackel April 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Davenport is a raciest and GOP should either demand that she give her post up or take it away fom her. There is no excuse for such behavior as this.

Carpenter April 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

someone wrote:
"…Where have you been. Some racist whites have said for years that black people come from monkeys.."

Where have you been? Scientists (aka liberals) say that "WE ALL" come from Monkees!
This should be taken as a compliment!

And once again it is "Species-ism" and the Tea Bugger is probably a Species-ist not a racist.
There is a difference!

You see there is a BIG difference between a different SPECIES and a different RACE.
Or are you telling me that a porcupine is a Jew? And that a Cat is an Eskimo?

Dostra April 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Why am I not surprised? Unfortunately, this woman's bigotry speaks for far too many in this great Country, many of whom engage in all type of verbal vitriol and hide their anonymity and on the Internet. If there is a positive to this story, it is that fair and upright folks see her for the prejudice. pathetic and bigot creature she is. I am sure the president is somewhat immuned to her type of thinking. No manner what she says or does, it will not obviate many from seeing him as an intelligent pragmatist who looks for solutions rather than waste time responding to every idiot who, because they aren't intelligent enough to engage in civilized discourse, engage in such sophomoric nonsense. She should be publicly denounced and stripped of her position.

Carpenter April 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

go to Google.
Search for "Bush Monkey" http://www.google.com/search?&q=Bush+Monkey
Then click the IMAGE tab

RACIST!
RACISM!!
BIGGOTS!!!

Uncontrollable phony outrage is a symptom of the condition know as Liberalism.
And I am not making a RACIST remark it is simply stating a Medical Fact. Many of
you were born with Liberalism. So don't blame me for your angry reactionism. It is
a Genetically passed triat. Blame your parents.

mehrbanoo April 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

What a dumb picture to show people about the leader of your nation shame on you.Who is racist now?

shan April 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm

politicians are horrid people… they spend time on this crap, and claim this is a joke, and then claim to be a Christian… this is not funny… my jaw hit the floor when I saw this… Marilyn, go read Ephesians 5:4, and then thank Jesus for his brutal death and resurrection, so you can be forgiven for such racial hatred!!!

shan April 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm

select few??? seriously?? she thinks only a "select" few are offended??? she thinks cos others have made fun of Bush that it's ok to make fun of Obama? this is her logic?? NO, IT'S NOT OK… WHAT IS THIS? SOME KINDERGARTEN PLAYGROUND??? POLITICIANS, GROW UP ALREADY!!!! YOU ARE HIRED TO DO A JOB, AND YOU SHOULD BE FIRED!!!! I WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED FOR THIS EMAIL… for one thing it would have been on company time, and offensive material… SHE IS ON COMPANY TIME 24/7. ALL politicians are!!!! give her her pink slip, and stop wasting our tax dollars!!!!

shan April 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm

all she does is make excuses… she is not sorry, nor repentant… sad to be so evil inside… I feel for her, cos her entire life has now been defined by this single moment… so sad…

Carpenter April 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Listen up! This is NOT racism. OK!!

The Tea Bugger is guilty of discrimination against the whole SPECIES of Monkeys
when she implies (through the photo) that the Monkeys gave birth to a human. This
is a case of Species Hatred or hate toward the Monkeys.

And then when you look at the specific human in question (Barack Obama) Marilyn
Davenport is implying that these innocent Monkeys give birth to a Marxist and nothing
could be further from the truth.

Monkeys are not Marxists. I doubt that Monkeys know about Karl Marx or about Cloward
Pivenism. Monkeys are not trying to destroy America. They eat bananas and though poo.
The crime is against all Monkeys.

No Monkey deserves this type of HATE!!

Disappointed April 18, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Another case of the old double standard. It's fine and dandy to make fun of other Presidents and make cartoons but it's offensive to do one of Obama? Give me a break!

Stacey April 19, 2011 at 12:21 am

well first of all it is toatally out of line and if you wont resign then you need to be fired..it is racist you know it is and we all know it is…its not funny..and for people who say i have black friends..did you send this to your black friends? i dont think so..not funny at all…our president is just that our president try if you will…cant find no dirt on him..no outside children no girlfriends no nothing…wow!! a black man wiiiiiiiith no baby momma dramma..how can that be? there is the one thing..he used to smoke and not for nothing if he chose to smoke again that is between him and his wife and nobody else…so chic i say to you with all the grace that i have at this moment…i hope you get fired or have the grace to step down….you were wrong for this and you know it….own it and move on….i wonder what all of your black friends think….please post.

Carpenter April 19, 2011 at 8:59 am

No it would be Racist if you called Obama a bleeping Black Eskimo, a African something or
if the N-word word was used. In this case the "M-Word" is implied but to the Monkeys. Monkeys
do not give birth to Marxists!

The crime here is against the Monkeys. They did nothing to deserve this.

TjW April 19, 2011 at 11:28 am

Jeeeezzzz Are you a woman or a little girl on the playground? I remember growing up in the burbs around white folks being called a monkey……Her actions do not surprise me one bit. None the least. Hope the Orange County taxpayers and reps are so very proud of your e-mails.

GuestPoster April 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm

well anything that can be used to distract us from the REAL TRUTH about rising Gas Prices,
the rising National Debt (thanks to Obama's lib-commie buddies), massive Unemployment,
and the whole Economy (thanks to Cloward-Pivenism being implemented).

So be it Monkey discrimination, or Liberal-Commie Propaganda, or some other Liberal Media
LIES… I don't even care anymore. The Liberal-Communists have won! Its over.

There is NO USA anymore!
so Obama isn't the President of the United States because the USA doesn't exist!
Not anymore. That Country has been gone for decades.

It is time to split the USA into at least 3 totally seperate countries. And I would prefer it if
Hawaii, Alaska and Texas were just plain EJECTED from America. They should be thier own
seperate countries and I should not be TAXED to pay for thier damned problems. I also should
not be taxed to fund the MURDER of over 3000 babies per day. Over a million are murdered per
year and I have to pay for it.

Give the Liberals thier own country so they can kill Babies just like the ancient Canaanites did.
It would be cheaper (and maybe even a source of heat). They fed thier babies Gods Molloch
and Baal (a big barbeque).

The REAL TRUTH is that the LIberals are the reincarnation of the Ancient Canaanites and
the USA (thanks to Liberals) is millions of times worse than Sodom and Gommorrah ever were.

Monkeys on the other hand, have, nor cause any of these sick evil societal problems.

NO1UNO April 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I thought the official scientific word is that we ALL came from monkeys. Is that now in dispute?

Carpenter April 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

No Mary! The disrespect was to Monkeys everywhere.

That awful e-mail implys that a Monkey could give birth to a Marxist.
Monkeys are NOT Marxists.

Brandy Fike April 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I JUST HAVE ONE THING TO SAY ,, IT'S FUNNY TO SEE EVERYONE ARGUE OVER AN EMAIL… AND ANOTHER THIS IS A DISGRACE TO OUR MONKEYS… sHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

Guest April 19, 2011 at 7:45 pm

That's not a monkey. That's a chimpanzee. Get it right. Also, chimps are not the innocent little animals you think they are. They kill (and eat) monkeys. Go figure.

guestT April 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm

looks like most of you writing are evidently liberal democrats and that the fool you elected is proving along with his whole click to be real monkeys…guest it

Deena Morris April 22, 2011 at 12:15 am

Wow! I'm completely lost for words. It curly makes me sick to think that she can get away with such bad behavior. She truly showed her true color, inside and out. We need to join hands and really try to form a sister/brotherhood or we're all destined for failure. We hve enough hate in this world without adding to it. I'm of mixed race. Italian, Egyptian and Jewish. United nations and we love it. So embrace our differences. Marilyn Davenport, step dwn. All due respect…step dwn and hush da fuck up!

Shelly April 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Wow if this isn't the pot calling the kettle black. I grew up in the 60's with school integration and busing and the fact is, blacks are some of the racist people there are. I didn't have black slaves, and none of my ancestors owned black slaves. You don't hear jewish people blaming everyone for the holocaust, so get over it and move on. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton get paid to keep the pot stirred. Itss alright for the left wing media to attack Sarah Palin and her family or for that matter, the Tea Party and anyone else they deem a threat. Not condoning it, it was stupid. When you're a public figure, youre under a microscope, there's always someone out there just waiting to get ya. I don't care if she stays or goes, lets just move on people.

imom007 November 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I can't stand morons playing the race card every time someone hurts their 'wittle feelers'. You can insult someone without it being racist. Geez, grow some balls.

{ 1 trackback }