New Virginia Governor Quietly Removes Gays From Anti-Discrimination Policy

by David Badash on February 17, 2010

in Civil Rights,Discrimination,News,Politics

Post image for New Virginia Governor Quietly Removes Gays From Anti-Discrimination Policy

Bigotry Is For Lovers?
Two weeks ago, if you were LGBTQ and worked for the State of Virginia, you knew you could not be discriminated against for being gay. But two days later when you got to work, you weren’t so sure. Newly-sworn in Governor Bob McDonnell, the man introduced to most Americans the night he gave the Republican rebuttal to President Obama’s State of the Union Address, on February 5 signed an executive order which rescinds his predecessor’s anti-discrimination policy and removes the term “sexual orientation” from state policy.

In his response to President Obama, McDonnell stated,

“All Americans should have the opportunity to find and keep meaningful work, and the dignity that comes with it.

“Many of us here, and many of you watching, have family or friends who have lost their jobs.

“1 in 10 American workers is unemployed. That is unacceptable.

“Here in Virginia we have faced our highest unemployment rate in more than 25 years, and bringing new jobs and more opportunities to our citizens is the top priority of my administration.”

I wonder if he was thinking at that time of excluding gays from the equation?

TPMDC reports a spokesperson for McDonnell’s predecessor, Gov. Tim Kaine, stated,

“It says a lot about the Republican party that they would anoint as their ‘rising star’ someone who in 2010 is actually stripping away from Americans legal protections against discrimination. Bob McDonnell is proving his critics right. He said he’d focus on creating jobs, not social issues. But, one of his first acts as Governor was to make it easier for a fellow citizen to be denied a job and he did so as an adherent to a right-wing ideology that allows for such discriminatory behavior. McDonnell’s decision is just plain wrong in any context, but especially so in this economic climate.”

On his campaign website, McDonnell says, “To me, everything starts with family.” We can only imagine whose families he means, and what it ends with.

Buffy February 17, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Virginia is one of the most virulently anti-gay states in the country. When I was moving cross-country to CA we purposely went several hundred miles out of our way to avoid entering VA. We didn't want to spend a single penny there, even if only for gasoline.

b72s2jfk February 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

continued…
The recriminations in backwater Virginia are endless. I have some connections with some in the mainline airline companies, and will tell GLBT groups with in those companies to tell their employees to not spend a dime or visit there. I have made good money over the years, and my money goes to areas that don't have overt discrimination policies like this. The title "Rethuglican", is appropriate. Wait, isn't this type of thuggishness on the same par as kid diddlers that are being snagged by Chris Hanson's "Catch a Predator Series"?? Isnt that one of the tactics molesters use on their victims, you know such as coercion, threat, intimidation.__RIIIGGHT, thats why GOP are blessed with the notorious "Grand Old Pedophiles", "Gang of Predators", I got pages of this and could go on all day. Seems appropriate to me. Hey, Gub'nor__TOE TAP MUCH LATELY?-

B72s2jfk February 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

SOOOO GLAD I LEFT Virginia! Unfortunately I grew up and lived outside of Roanoke. I was a victim of discrimination on not only sexual orientation but racial. I am an airline enthusiast and for the life of me could never land a job at Roanoke Airport. I went on multiple interviews and hundreds of resumes later-still NOTHING! Amazingly I managed to land jobs elsewhere outside of virginia. Over the years in the airline business, I have been employed in almost 5 states, and now have mid level airport secret clearances. None of the airline station managers wanted a swishy effiminate gay asian man as their ticket agent-hell no! Not in lil' ol' backwoods Roanoke Airport where people couldnt tell a 747 from a hang glider.

Michael February 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Radical anti-gay activist McDonnell provides us with the latest example of the counterfeit-religious belief that homophobia = Christ. Now we see morality and "religious belief" redefined to mean "prevent law-abiding, taxpaying, gay Americans from working to support our families." I wonder where in Scripture Christ condones this, because it's not in my Holy Bible?

Justin February 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm

We should let the gay community know that the Log Cabin Republicans praised Republican Bob McDonnell during the campaign. Wonder what they have to say now?

Pat March 12, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Make one wonder how long it will be before HE is named in a "gay sex scandal."