by David Badash on March 29, 2013

in Celebrities,News

Post image for Michelle Shocked Shows Up At Canceled Concert With Mouth Taped Shut: ‘Silenced By Fear’

Alternative folk singer Michelle Shocked is back, apparently, having showed up at her canceled concert at Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz, California, wearing an odd costume that included tape across her mouth with the words “silenced by fear” across it.

“When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and strummed her guitar while seated on the ground outside popular music venue Moe’s Alley,” the Santa Cruz Sentinel reports:

She pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.

Moe’s Alley owner Bill Welch, who talked with Shocked as she strummed her guitar outside his club, had replaced her with bands Beaver Fever and Frootie Flavors.

“We will not be bashing Michelle Shocked,” he said. “Rather we will celebrate music, diversity and send some healing Santa Cruz energy her way.”

Shocked stunned her San Francisco audience almost two weeks ago when she told her audience “God hates faggots,” and spewed other anti-gay remarks. Within 48 hours her entire tour of eleven venues was canceled.

“Michelle Shocked continues to unravel, showing up to her cancelled show at Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz on March 28, 2013,” Paul Horne, who posted this video to YouTube, writes. “Dressed in white, wearing a shirt that says ‘Gimme wit not spit’ on the back and ‘Fun/Fag Palliance’ on the front. She’s taped her mouth closed and is playing her guitar in the parking lot, to an audience of zero.”

Related:

Michelle Shocked Blows Off Then Pops In And Out Of Scheduled Interview That Goes Nuts

Breaking: Listen To Audio Of Michelle Shocked’s Anti-Gay Rant

Michelle Shocked: ‘I Do Not, Nor Have I Ever, Said Or Believed That God Hates Homosexuals’

BJLincoln March 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

Has she reported any threats? She was the one spewing hate and now is “silenced by fear”?
Sounds like the extremests.
The owners who cancled did so to keep customers happy and they did not want a problem with protesters as well as believing she was wrong.

BearFlagCitizen March 29, 2013 at 10:31 am

She had every chance and opportunity to redeem herself and explain her comments when her fans repeatedly asked her for clarification on her words she spoke that night. She was NOT silenced by her fans, they *WANTED* her to talk about what she truly meant by her words. It was Michelle Shocked who *CHOSE* silence for herself. Now she's playing the victim card. Now she can be called a phony, as well as homophobic. Just face it Michelle, you've effectively killed your career.

Please stop now.

Please. It's embarrassing.

Alex_Parrish March 29, 2013 at 11:34 am

Nobody silenced her. She is free to speak her mind; hate-speech and all. She must, however, understand that there are consequences to her speech. She can blather all she wants, she just can't get paid to do so in front of an audience in a private venue. They are exercising their own right to disagree and not hire her. She can hire a hall or stadium if she so desires and spout to her hearts content – but she can't expect someone else to pay her for it if they don't agree. Nobody is curtailing her speech; she is merely reaping the results of it. The right-wing just doesn't understand the difference between the right to free speech and the resulting consequences of that speech. They are not one-in-the-same.

Having said this — I am convinced that this is all just a publicity stunt to try to spark her failed career. I doubt it will work and I hope she soon gets the anonymity she seems to richly deserve.

iburl March 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Sadly, it's not a stunt, she really seems to have taken that religious route to a complete disconnect from reality. Start off believing the myths written in the bible, and just keep driving off that cliff of illogic until you end up looking like this in an alley somewhere.

Marj_69 March 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Okay, she's a hateful idiot that few people have ever heard of and now she chooses to be silent. I see no problem here, and now I'm moving on.

toronto416 March 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Back when I was in grade six (this is how far back I knew – I was gay!) I remember seeing her on MTV singing 'Anchorage' and I was an instant fan. I haven't followed her career, but I have read about the kind of woman she is – and this – to me as an outsider – does not fit. I am convinced she has either had some kind of psychological breakdown or psychosis; possibly she is either using synthetic drugs or abusing painkillers. The rant in San Francisco was one thing; the Haz Mat suit and duct-taped mouth is another sign of just – I don't know – some kind of paranoia or unraveling mental health crisis. Where are her parents, manager, someone close to her? She NEEDS help. I have seen people like this before (who are often gay themselves and are having a crisis) and this is a cry for help. I'm worried she is going to kill herself. She has alienated everyone that has ever surrounded her music career and she has isolated herself. I hope she is in a place where someone can intervene and get her help, and as much as I have no tolerance for hate speech, again; this doesn't fit.