Post image for Lawmaker Email To Constituent: ‘Your Slave-Holding, Murdering, Adulterous, Baby-Raping, Incestuous Kin’

by David Badash on March 28, 2013

in Bigotry Watch,News

An Alabama state lawmaker responded to a pro-gun constituent with a vile, racist, screed — and accidentally cc’ed it to the entire Alabama state legislature. “Hey man,” Representative Joseph Mitchell‘s email to constituent Eddie Maxwell reads. “Your folk never used all this sheit to protect my folk from your slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, incestuous, snaggle-toothed, backward-assed, inbreed, imported criminal-minded kin folk.”

Representative Joseph Mitchell happens to be African-American, and a Democrat, and Eddie Maxwell happens to be white. The two have never had contact before.

Local news site published the text of the emails:

From: Eddie Maxwell

Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:54 PM

To: (all members of state legislature)

Subject: Gun Control and our Constitutions

Can the officers of our state government change our constitution when the change is forbidden by the people? The Supreme Court of Alabama has ruled that it cannot in an opinion dealing with another matter where change is forbidden. You have sworn to support our constitution. You have defined a violation of an oath in an official proceeding as a class C felony (C.O.A. Section 13A-10-101 Perjury in the first degree).

Do not violate your oath of office by introducing additional gun control bills or by allowing those already enacted to remain in the body of our laws.

From: Representative Joseph Mitchell

Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:59 PM

To: Eddie Maxwell

cc: (all members)

Subject: Re: Gun Control and our Constitutions

Hey man. You have used the word ‘except’ when I think you mean somethin’ else.

Hey man. Your folk never used all this sheit to protect my folk from your slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, incestuous, snaggle-toothed, backward-a**ed, inbreed, imported criminal-minded kin folk. You can keep sending me stuff like you have however because it helps me explain to my constituents why they should protect that 2nd amendment thing AFTER we finish stocking up on spare parts, munitions and the like.

Bring it. As one of my friends in the Alabama Senate suggested – “BRING IT!!!!”

JOSEPHm, a prepper (’70-’13)

Mobile County

From: Eddie Maxwell

Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 2:23 PM

To: Representative Joseph Mitchell

cc: (all members)

Subject: Re: Gun Control and our Constitutions

Rep. Mitchell and other members of the Legislature of Alabama,

That’s not the type of reply I expect to receive from a state legislator. The lack of response to your racist comments from your fellow members speaks volumes about the state of our legislature as a whole.

I’m not a racist and I find your reply to be especially offensive considering the position you hold.

My parents and grandparents taught me to love God and my fellow man as myself. My father was threatened by members of his church back in 1954 for inviting a black family to attend the church he pastored.

My father-in-law was threatened when he hired a young negro man to work in his shop back in 1968 in a community where several neighbors were members of the Ku Klux Klan. He didn’t allow those threats to keep him from treating people of all races equally.

In 1969, I was a draftee in the US Army and bunked with a young negro man named Earl Shinholster at Fort Benning. Earl later became a prominent leader of the NAACP back home in Georgia after serving with me in the Army. When I received numerous racist threats from negroes who knew I lived near Birmingham, Earl warned me of the knives they carried and cautioned me to be more careful around them. Earl had been watching me and he had come to know and respect me for my Christian values. Earl and I became friends and he helped me get through some tough times there.

Racism is not exclusive to my own people. I learned that before 1955. It is just as ugly now as it was then, regardless of the race of the person who is consumed by it.

I love my country and my state, and I vowed to support and defend our constitutions. I expect you and all of our representative to do the same.

Eddie Maxwell

The website Yellow Hammer Politics reportedly was the first to publish the exchange, and has a final response from Rep. Mitchell.

angloam March 28, 2013 at 10:01 am

I thought that African Americans couldn't be racist?

kuhrdan1 March 28, 2013 at 11:28 am

I commend Joseph Mitchell for standing up for a change given the years of vile vitriol generated coming from predominantly white Republican Teabagger Christians. Mitchell's email is a matter of quid pro quo or what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Alex_Parrish March 28, 2013 at 11:59 am

I think representative Mitchell made a bad choice in responding this way to a constituent, and a worse choice and sending it to the entire legislature. Such an escalation of vitriol makes no positive contribution to the issue of racism in his state and inflames the unfortunate attitudes of the fringe-right.

That said; I think it was probably very cathartic for Rep. Mitchell and I can fully understand his urge and reason for making that response. I'm sure it wasn't politically correct — and might harm his future endeavors — but I'm also sure it felt damned good to do it.

I am unsure whether to say 'shame on you' with a wink or to just go-ahead and give him a high-five.

Rsyk March 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm

That depends. Would you be okay with someone calling you all that based solely on where you live, and a political opinion that says very little about your character?
Really, why are you defending this man? The opinion expressed in his letter is vile, racist, and unprovoked. This is not a matter of a politically incorrect slip of the tongue. This is a matter of a legislator holding true hatred for other human beings based solely on their race. Why is hard and fast wrong when so many others do it, and now such a small matter when it comes to this man? Because he's a democrat? Because he's black? Either way, you're applying a different standard to him then you do everyone else. That's hypocrisy, plain and simple.