Chick-fil-A CEO Says He Made A Mistake Endorsing ‘Traditional Marriage’

by Jean Ann Esselink on March 18, 2014

in Actions,Discrimination,Jean Ann Esselink,News

Post image for Chick-fil-A CEO Says He Made A Mistake Endorsing ‘Traditional Marriage’

It’s been two years since Chick-Fil-A CEO, Dan Cathy, told a reporter he was “guilty as charged,” in his belief that marriage is a sacred covenant between a man and a woman. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, Cathy says that was a mistake.

“Every leader goes through different phases of maturity, growth and development and it helps by (admitting) the mistakes that you make,” Cathy told the Washington Journal-Constitution.  “You learn from those mistakes. If not, you’re just a fool. I’m thankful that I lived through it and I learned a lot from it.”

Cathy said while he personally has not had a change of heart, and Chick-fil-A restaurants will remain closed on Sundays, he will no longer weigh in on America’s culture wars. Cathy says he regrets having done so in 2012. As a business decision, he now realizes it was a mistake:

“Consumers want to do business with brands that they can interface with, that they can relate with, and it’s probably very wise from our standpoint to make sure that we present our brand in a compelling way that the consumer can relate to.”

So what was the lesson Cathy learned?

Cathy says that while he is not abandoning his beliefs, he has come to understand “others feel very different from that and I respect their opinion.”

Not a bad lesson to learn.

Photo Facebook

shle896 March 18, 2014 at 9:49 am

Damage done. Screw him.

pixiekitty March 18, 2014 at 10:16 am

No. No no no.

You write, "Not a bad lesson to learn." I completely disagree. It's a horrible lesson — that his BOTTOM LINE, i.e., profit, suffered, and so he regrets opening his mouth. Note that he does not regret his beliefs that gay people are not deserving of the same rights as straight people. Note that he is reducing MY IDENTITY to a "difference of opinion."

My sexual identity is not an OPINION. It's my being. It's who I am.

F**k him. Seriously. Why are you putting a positive spin on this? It's worse than if he'd continued openly disparaging gays. He still wants to deny me rights, but he'd like my money in his pocket. REALLY? Really? NCRM, why are you falling for this?

lambutts March 19, 2014 at 10:16 am

Exactly. It's a conservative-generated business decision. "If I can make more money by sucking up to more divergent groups, good for me." Sad. But that's capitalism at its best, unfortunately. I don't eat there for two reasons: 1. I live in the Midwest and the Chik is not available here. 2. Zaxby's is much, much better when I do visit my sons in Georgia. So there.

BJLincoln March 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

More like…."Enough others feel differently that it effects my bottom line so I learned to keep my mouth shut."

I don't care what a person thinks or believes but don't bring it to work even if you own the business.

justjinxed March 18, 2014 at 10:50 am

So does this mean he isn't going to use company profits to support anti-gay marriage legislation? I somehow doubt it. Spending money there would still be like eating a sandwich with a side of self damnation. Just not going to happen for me.

Heyim1also March 18, 2014 at 11:09 am

He has had a change of heart because he lost a lot of money. He is still a bigot. I wouldn't eat there because I don't like the food. Once was enough for me. I went for a sandwich and got a sermon. No self respecting person would eat there after he dissed the gays. His lesson isn't over yet.

transgriot March 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I can get my waffle fries somewhere else without going to Bigot-fil-a for them.

ResearchedIt March 18, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Except that Chick-Fil-A, by most accounts, did NOT lose money. The only effect it had on his bottom line was an INCREASE in profits, plus adding 93 stores, in 2012. I would not call that an adverse effect. And some sources state that the corporation stopped giving money to the anti-gay organizations they had been giving to before. So essentially, he stopped using his BUSINESS to espouse his beliefs, recognizing that the two are separate. Meanwhile, he still respects his workers enough to give them a day off no matter their beliefs, removed bad additives from his food when confronted about it, and provides decent fare for fast foodery. Hate runs both ways; so does understanding. Change can happen, albeit slowly, but BOTH sides have to let it.

KJNOKIE March 19, 2014 at 10:00 am

Christian bigots have flocked there to eat the food (?).

James_M_Martin March 18, 2014 at 7:32 pm

One suspects he lost a lot of lgbtq business and realizes he made a big mistake.

matt March 18, 2014 at 8:07 pm

imo chick fil-a ceo is full of sh!t

Flexdoc1 March 18, 2014 at 9:11 pm

This can only mean economically he was hurt by his remarks. People like this don't shut up unless it has to do with money. He only cares about the almighty $$$. Continue to eat elsewhere.

brucestarscream March 18, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I don't agree with what he said but let's be factual. Chick-fil-a reported sales up 14% at the end of 2013. They aren't hurting financially at all, in fact, they're growing.
I think Dan Cathy's comments are encouraging. It's showing signs of progress. The civil rights movement was a slow crawl for our country (and it isn't finished yet). Any signs of life should be gently supported. It's how we'll bridge the gap.
It seems a lot of people commenting feel the opinion of a CEO is the deciding factor on whether or not you'll give them business. Respectfully, are you as diligent in your research to other places you shop at?

happiness2210 March 18, 2014 at 11:14 pm

The food is crappy, so while I disagree wholeheartedly with the business, I wouldn't have eaten there in the first place. He's still filled with hatred and claiming to be a Christian. Bah

batia1981 March 19, 2014 at 3:39 am

A lot of Christianity is based on theology and not the teachings of Jesus. Theology about the birth and death of Jesus lead the show and things like homosexuality and abortion run a close second. Too bad listening to the actual teachings of love that Jesus expounded don't get a fair shake.

Master Adrian March 19, 2014 at 7:03 am

Accepting the opinions and ideas of other people is perhaps important indeed, respecting the opinions and ideas of other people is more important!

Ángelo Martínez March 19, 2014 at 7:06 am

He will still never get a penny of my money.

KJNOKIE March 19, 2014 at 9:58 am

As I always say, money trumps religion anytime. They love money more than Jesus.

Gay Seal Team 6 March 19, 2014 at 11:36 am

For me, it wasn't what he said, it was what he did. People say stupid shit all the time, and we point at them and laugh or jeer, and then we go on with our lives. No, the problem with him was that he used his money to donate to anti-gay organizations that do real harm to gay people both here and abroad. That is unforgivable. He could paint his stores rainbow-colored and wave gay flags all day long, and he's still going to be an asshole for eternity.

erichvieth March 20, 2014 at 1:59 am

This is a fluff piece, not journalism. How bad did his bigotry hurt his bottom line? Is the "lesson" that he will say anything to make money?