Connect with us

NOT HOW THIS WORKS

‘Surrendering to North Korea’: Internet Furious After Trump Permanently Cancels Annual ‘War Games’ With South Korea

Published

on

The Pentagon is soon to announce an end the United States’ to joint military exercises with South Korea the day after President Donald Trump met with North Korea’s Kim Jong-un — and many pundits warn that he appears to be making even more concessions to the authoritarian leader.

NBC News reported the Pentagon’s plans to end the large-scale “war games” was not, according to U.S. officials, related to the Hanoi summit and had been planned for “some time.”

Nonetheless, the officials told NBC, the move is meant to “ease tensions” with North Korea.

As Fox News’ Pentagon reporter Lucas Tomlinson noted, Trump called the joint exercises “very expensive” when he was in Vietnam.

Mike Walker, the former acting Secretary of the Army, alluded to the Trump administration’s claim that the president walked away from a deal with Kim Jong-un in his tweet responding to the news.

“Trump did make a deal with Kim,” Walker tweeted. “A bad deal.”

Veteran White House journalist Paul Brandus noted from his “West Wing Reports” account that although Trump “got nothing from North Korea,” he is nevertheless “making a huge [concession]: ending large-scale military readiness drills with South Korea.”

Check out more responses below:

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

NOT HOW THIS WORKS

Trump Trade Advisor Says Americans ‘Don’t Have a Right to Know’ if Administration Tied China Policy to Getting Dirt on Biden

Published

on

It is a stunning confrontation. Peter Navarro, the White House Director of Trade and Manufacturing Policy says the American people “don’t have a right to know” if the Trump administration has tied China trade policy to getting dirt on Joe Biden. President Trump has been engaged in an extortion scheme against Ukraine, using congressionally-approved military aid to try to strong arm that country.

“You don’t have a right to know what happens behind closed doors,” Navarro, whose often referred to as President Trump’s trade advisor, tells CNN’s Jim Sciutto at a televised forum Thursday.

“I think the American people have a right to know if politics have entered trade negotiations,” Sciutto responded.

Navarro tried to deflect by decrying “too many stories reported based on anonymous sources,” despite the fact that President trump freely admitted he was engaged in an extortion scheme.

“I’m asking you a diret question,” Sciutto continued. “Did you bring up investigating the Bidens as part of the negotiations?”

Navarro refused to answer the simple and direct question that, despite his false claim, Americans absoutely do have the right to know.

“It’s not an appropriate question in my judgment,” he claimed, falsely, repeatedly raising his hands as if to say “stop.”

“Asked and answered,” Navarro concluded.

Watch:

Professor of international relations, political scientist, and journalist David Rothkopf offered this response to Navarro’s remarks:

President Trump has publicly asked China to dig up dirt on the Bidens. China, at least publicly, refused. Experts say Trump’s request is a “felony violation of law.”

 

Continue Reading

NOT HOW THIS WORKS

‘I’m in Charge of the Hatch Act’ Trump Barked at ‘Weak’ Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney – In a Room Full of Aides

Published

on

The Wall Street Journal has published an exposé about the Trump 2020 re-election campaign and how the president is “banking on base-pleasing campaign events – more meticulously produced this time – to outweigh any need for a fresh message.”

In one disturbing tale WSJ White House reporter Michael Bender relays how Trump has apparently grown frustrated with White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney – his third in under three years – and attacked him during a meeting with other aides present.

President Trump wanted to bring his Cabinet to a June rally in the critical swing state of Florida. Appropriately, Mulvaney warned the president about the Hatch Act, which prohibits executive branch employees from using their positions for political activities.

“I’m in charge of the Hatch Act,” Trump “barked” at Mulvaney, calling his chief of staff, one of the most powerful people in the nation, “weak.”

Trump is not “in charge” of the Hatch Act. It is an 80-year old federal law that was amended in 2012.

Special Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway’s violations of the law have been so egregious that the U.S. Office of Special Counsel requested the White House “remove” her from her job. President Trump refused.

RELATED STORIES:

Federal Government Ethics Watchdog Rules Six Top Trump Administration Officials Violated Federal Law

Trump White House Lies to Protect Federal Lawbreaker Kellyanne Conway

White House Issues Fast, Fiery, Defiant Response to Federal Agency Finding Kellyanne Conway Should Be Fired

 

Image by The White House via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading

NOT HOW THIS WORKS

Busted: White House Counsel Worked to Keep Whistleblower Report From Congress – WaPo

Published

on

President Donald Trump’s White House counsel has reportedly been personally involved in keeping Congress from reviewing a whistleblowing report involving Ukraine.

“The revelation that Trump pushed Zelensky to pursue the Biden probe, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal, represents the most detailed account so far of the president’s conduct that prompted a U.S. intelligence official to file a whistleblower action against the president,” The Washington Post reported Friday. “The disclosure comes amid new details about the White House’s role in preventing Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire from complying with Congressional demands for the material in the complaint.”

In addition to confirming the WSJ report, The Post also furthered the story with new reporting on the role of the White House in the scandal.

“White House Counsel Pat Cipollone has been engaged in the matter since shortly after the whistleblower action surfaced, officials said, helping to identify legal obstacles to the sharing of information that could be politically damaging to Trump,” The Post reported. “Cipollone’s involvement reveals a more direct White House role in the dispute than has previously been reported.”

Read the full report.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.