President Donald Trump has decided to ignore Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s withdrawal of her invitation to deliver the State of the Union address on January 29. Trump is planning to deliver the SOTU address, which is congressionally-mandated to be given to Congress, on the 29th as scheduled.
Where he will deliver the Address he has not said.
The White House is drafting two separate State of the Union Addresses, ABC News reports. One if he delivers the Address in the House before Congress, which is increasingly unlikely. The other would be more of a political rally, not in D.C., and aimed at his base.
Trump appears to be planning for a greater confrontation between himself and Speaker Pelosi.
“Republicans are encouraging Trump to force Pelosi to officially disinvite him, by suggesting the president announce he still intends to deliver the State of the Union from the House chamber,” ABC News adds.
“A senior administration official confirmed to ABC News that the White House has sent an email to the House Sergeant at Arms requesting a walkthrough of the chamber to prep for the State of the Union address. The White House is still moving forward as planned on the address as they wait to hear whether Pelosi is officially rescinding her invitation.”
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Anti-Gay Hate Group Is Suing to Force Boston to Give Special Right to Fly Christian Flag at City Hall
An anti-gay hate group is suing the City of Boston on behalf of its client to force the “City on a Hill” to allow the Christian flag to be flown at City Hall.
Liberty Counsel, which appears on the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of anti-gay hate groups, is accusing the City of Boston of religious discrimination. Boston says it cannot fly non-secular flags.
Hal Shurtleff, the director and co-founder of Camp Constitution, the organization that wants to fly the Christian flag, claims the city’s refusal is unconstitutional.
“There’s no question that it is an unconstitutional act and originally said it was a violation of the First Amendment, which I find ironic,” Shurtleff, who wants to see the flag fly for one hour in September, told Fox News. “I’m optimistic the lawsuit will go our way.”
Shurtleff, according to Fox News, says if they had just told the City the flag wasn’t a Christian flag but the flag for his organization he could have gotten way with it.
Camp Constitution, which appears to be an actual camp, claims its mission is to “enhance understanding of our Judeo-Christian moral heritage,” and “the genius of our United States Constitution.”
But it also says its mission is to “expose some of the abuses and perversions that have brought our nation and economy so far down.”
Just in case there’s any confusion about Shurtleff’s mission, he posts tweets like this:
— Hal Shurtleff (@Freedominboston) June 24, 2019
And despite Shurtleff’s claim to revere the Constitution, this tweet, with an image from a far right wing website, shows the Christian flag flying over the American flag – something that is considered highly disrespectful to America.
— Hal Shurtleff (@Freedominboston) May 12, 2019
Image via Shutterstock
Trump Expands Executive Overreach – Ends Asylum Protections for Migrants in Central America Coming to US
In a new and expansive executive action President Donald Trump has created a new rule that ends asylum protections for migrants traveling from Central America to the United States.
Those seeking asylum who pass through another country before applying for U.S. asylum will be deemed automatically ineligible for asylum protections.
The Associated Press reports the new rule is “expected to go into effect on Tuesday, also applies to children who have crossed the border alone.”
There are a few exceptions, including for those who have been victims of trafficking.
The problem is that U.S. law states that those seeking asylum must be on U.S soil in order to do so. U.S. law also states it is not illegal to enter the U.S. to apply for asylum.
“To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States,” the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s own website states. “You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status.”
Affirmative asylum simply means requesting asylum before a deportation order.
The move will likely be challenged in court and may be blocked since it appears to violate U.S. law.
Image by USCIS via Flickr
Mnuchin Defies Subpoena: Says No to Lawful Request for Trump’s Tax Returns
Says Treasury Is ‘Unable’ to Release Trump’s Tax Returns to House Chairman Despite Law That Says IRS ‘Shall’
Secretary of the Treasury Steve Mnuchin has responded to House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal’s legal and lawful subpoena for the IRS to turn over six years of President Donald Trump’s tax returns, and his response is no.
“We are unable to provide the requested information in response to the Committee’s subpoena,” Mnuchin said in his letter to Chairman Richard Neal, as The Hill reports.
Mnuchin repeated his claim that the Chairman’s request “lacks a legitimate legislative purpose,” despite the law that authorizes the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee to request the tax returns of any U.S. person, for any reason.
Chairman Neal says his next step is to pursue legal methods.
“I think that the better option for us is to proceed with a court case,” says Neal.
Sec. Mnuchin’s full letter is here.
This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. This story will be updated, and NCRM will likely publish follow-up stories on this news. Stay tuned and refresh for updates.
- News1 day ago
Internet Responds to Death of Billionaire Conservative Activist David Koch by Reminding Everyone What He Stood For
- GUNS GUNS GUNS AND MORE GUNS1 day ago
Kids on Grade School Cheerleading Team Asked to Sell Assault Rifle Raffle Tickets – or Pay $100 ‘Opt-Out Fee’
- 'VERY FINE PEOPLE'1 day ago
Republican Who Compares Gay People to Rapists and Warns They May ‘Harm’ Kids Running to Unseat Democratic Senator
- BIGOTRY1 day ago
Trump Administration Urges US Supreme Court to Declare Firing a Worker for Being Gay Is Legal
- AMERICAN IDIOT1 day ago
#Iherebyorder: Internet Explodes in Mockery Over Trump’s Insane China Meltdown
- AMERICAN IDIOT1 day ago
‘A Monumental Fraud and Failure’: Trump Had a Plan to ‘Blow Up’ the G7 and Give the ‘Middle Finger’ to Our Allies: Report
- News1 day ago
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Completed More Cancer Treatment
- BAD PRESIDENT9 hours ago
Former Dem Senator Hilariously Nails Perfect Impression of ‘Pouting’ Trump at G7 Because Nobody ‘Likes Him’ There