Security for Betsy DeVos has cost American taxpayers $12 million since she began her term as Education Secretary in February of 2017.
According to Politico, the U.S. Marshals Service says over the next fiscal year, October 1 through the end of September, 2019, DeVos’ security is projected to cost $7.74 million. The estimate for last year was inaccurate – taxpayers spent more to protect the controversial Cabinet member than projected.
“DeVos’ security detail is provided around the clock by the Marshals Service, which is highly unusual — the past four Education secretaries have been protected by the Education Department’s own small security force,” Politico notes.
From February through September of 2017 the cost to protect DeVos was $5.28 million. From October of that year through the end of September 2018, the cost was $6.79 million. That’s a total of just over $12 million to date.
In an effort to curtail costs, DeVos pays for the Marshals to fly with her on her own private plane, and unlike the many Trump administration officials exposed for having taxpayers foot luxury travel, Secretary DeVos reportedly pays for all her private and public travel.
The Marshals Service would not state the nature of the threats against DeVos.
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Lara Trump Thinks Microsoft Office Assistant ‘Clippy’ Is a Real Person Spying on Everything She Writes
Fox host Lara Trump either has a new conspiracy theory, or she is very confused.
Hosting the 5 p.m. EST hour, Trump was ranting about Microsoft Word’s Clippy and the suggested changes to words like “postman” into “letter carrier” and “mankind” into “humankind.” It’s part of the right’s latest attack on “wokism,” which they define as anything done in polite society that makes them uncomfortable.
“Someone is reading this?! And assessing what I’m writing?” Trump said, assuming that a person was actually watching and reading what she was typing in Word instead of an AI programed into what they call “office assistant.” It was once named Clippy, and it was never a real person.
According to Trump, the “office assistant” is a lot like her fancy new car that doesn’t require a key, just a push-button to start it. She said that the car wouldn’t start if she didn’t jingle the keys around. That’s false. Push-button start cars use safety technology that requires your foot on the break, the car in park, and the key fob in the car with you. It’s essentially a small low-frequency transmitter. So if the car won’t start, it’s likely that you need to replace the batteries.
According to Microsoft, the assistant doesn’t have to be turned on.
“The checker can be turned on and off in a menu called ‘Grammar & Refinements’, which lists everything it checks: Age bias, Cultural bias, Ethnic slurs, Gender bias, Gender-Neutral Pronouns, Gender-Specific Language, Racial Bias, Sexual Orientation Bias and Socioeconomic Bias,” said the statement.
See Lara Trump’s rant below:
Trump Official Billed US for $456,000 in Private Jets Over Five Months: Report
New information is coming out about the use of private jets by Tom Price, the former Georgia congressman who spent eight months as Secretary of Health and Human Services in 2017.
“Tom Price, the health and human services secretary, resigned under pressure… after racking up at least $400,000 in travel bills for chartered flights and undermining President Trump’s promise to drain the swamp of a corrupt and entitled capital,” The New York Timesreported at the time. “Already in trouble with Mr. Trump for months of unsuccessful efforts to repeal and replace President Barack Obama’s health care program, Mr. Price failed to defuse the president’s anger by offering regret and a partial reimbursement.”
A Freedom of Information Act request was filed by The Washington Post and the new emails the newspaper obtained shed light on how the scandal began.
It started in April of 2017, only four months after Price took over the department. Price’s staffers sought to fly him to Los Angeles after his Delta Air Lines flight was delayed due to bad weather.
“Officials quickly secured a $29,000 charter flight — which also had to be scuttled, as tornadoes plagued the D.C. region. But the day’s events left a scar on Price’s top aides, who vowed that the Trump Cabinet official would never again wait on a commercial airline’s schedule, and foreshadowed a five-month travel sprint in which the health department spent $456,000 in taxpayer money on Price’s charter flights across the United States,” the newspaper reported.
In one case, Price did not even need to fly at all, much less on a private jet.
“One of the final trips came in September 2017, when health officials chartered a jet for Price, White House adviser Kellyanne Conway and their aides to fly round trip between Washington and Philadelphia — at a cost of $14,955 to taxpayers, according to government records,” The Post reported. “The department’s Office of Inspector General later concluded that Price’s flight to Philadelphia wasted more than $10,000 in taxpayer money compared with flying commercial, and that he could have made the trip by train.”
Prior to joining the Trump administration, Price spent a dozen years in Congress and chaired the House Budget Committee.
Read the full report.
MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell Launches Paranoid Rant: ‘Had to Get on My Knees and Pray to God’ US Gov’t. Didn’t Kill Him
MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell defended his appallingly bad and debunked three-hour election conspiracy theory “documentary” called “Absolute Truth,” by saying he was so scared for his life during the Trump presidency that he prayed the federal government did not summarily execute him.
“Yeah, yeah, the ‘Absolute Proof,’ let me tell you the key part of that,” Lindell said. “This is probably the only time where I had a little fear and I had to pray, get on my knees and pray to God. This was 10 days before the impeachment trial. And let me tell you I’m 10 days before, and remember at the time that that was like the towards the end of January, you know the impeachment trials were Tuesday following like the February 8, okay?”
The second Senate impeachment trial of Donald Trump was February 9-13. The House impeached Trump for a second time on January 13 in a 232–197 vote.
“And this was about maybe January 25 or so. I’m sitting there I go, ‘Wow, They’re gonna impeach him,’ and I had word that they were gonna impeach him,” Lindell said, presumably meaning “convict,” given Trump had already been impeached.
“We were not going to be able to show evidence at that trial,” Lindell continued, although it’s unclear why he said “we” since he was not on trial and was not legally part of Trump’s defense.
He then went on to call the January 6 insurrection, for which well over 600 people have been arrested and charged a “big fake insurgency or whatever that you’re against the government.”
“And guess who was number one on that list to come and get? Me. And they were coming, I’m going, ‘God they’re gonna kill me.’ You know, they’re gonna put me and hang me. And basically is what I’m thinking and at that moment he said, You know, I got to put a documentary, just put the evidence out there and make it.”
It’s also unclear why he would think the Trump DOJ or other agencies of the Trump administration would murder him.
Mike Lindell says he had to rush to release his election fraud “documentary” earlier this year because he was afraid the government was going to kill him. pic.twitter.com/uhicAbP8Ha
— Right Wing Watch (@RightWingWatch) September 15, 2021
- News3 days ago
‘Careening’ Toward ‘Risk of Political Violence’: Experts Sound Alarm After Trump Floats Executing His Former General
- News2 days ago
‘Poof’: White House Mocks Stunned Fox News Host as GOP’s Impeachment Case Evaporates on Live Air
- News1 day ago
House GOP Shutdown Demands Include Gutting Billions From Dept. of Education, Costing Over 200,000 Teachers Their Jobs
- News3 days ago
‘It Won’t Fare Well’: Legal Expert Trashes Trump’s Hopes for ‘Hail Mary’ Appeal This Week
- News11 hours ago
McCarthy Blocks Bipartisan Bill Approved by 77 Senators to Avoid Shutdown as He Moves to Pin the Blame on Democrats
- News3 days ago
‘Height of Irresponsibility’: Top LGBTQ Civil Rights Group Slams House Republicans Over Shutdown and ‘Politics of Hate’
- News2 days ago
Trump Appears to Think Jeb Bush Was President: ‘He Got Us Into the Middle East’
- News2 days ago
‘Isn’t Glock a Good Gun?’ Trump Asks Before Saying He Is Buying One – Campaign Forced to Deny He Did