Pat Robertson is cautioning Americans to not get upset over the apparent murder of a U.S. permanent resident which is increasingly looking like it was committed by the government of Saudi Arabia.
The 88-year old televangelist falsely frame a supposed U.S. arms deal with Saudi Arabia, claiming it is worth around $190 billion, and therefore too important to upset the Saudis with sanctions over the murder of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
“I just want to cool down the temper of those who are screaming blood for the Saudis,” Robertson said, as Right Wing Watch posted in the video below. “These people are key allies,” he warned.
After calling their faith “obnoxious,” Robertson said “on this issue” it’s “a mistake” for America to “get tough” and invoke sanctions.
Robertson then mentioned the fake “arms deal that everyone wanted a piece of,” and falsely claimed it is worth $190 billion.
“It’s not something that you want to blow up, willy nilly,” Robertson continued, warning “we shouldn’t jump to some wild conclusions.”
After his program aired, CNN reported the kingdom of Saudi Arabia is planning to announce that Khashoggi’s killing was the result of an “interrogation” gone bad.
Last week The Washington Post Fact Checker column reported that “Trump’s $110 billion in arms sales to Saudi Arabia” is “still fake.” Calling the $110 billion figure “fanciful and unlikely to come to fruition,” the Post added that over a year ago the Brookings Institution called it “fake news.”
It gets worse for Trump, by the way:
Most of the publicly announced items had been previously announced by the Obama administration and there appeared to be few, if any, signed contracts. Rather, many of the announcements were MOIs — memorandums of intent. There were six specific items, adding up to $28 billion, but all had been previously notified to Congress by the Obama administration.
Marc Lamont Hill writing at HuffPost said, “We must also acknowledge the U.S. role in enabling the Saudi state’s increasingly reckless and ruthless behavior.”
So, Robertson is wrong on all fronts.
So much for Christian ethics.
Pat Robertson responds to reports that the Saudis murdered a journalist by telling everyone to calm down and focus on the important things, like the lucrative arms deal we have with them. pic.twitter.com/06b7s3R6Xe
— Right Wing Watch (@RightWingWatch) October 15, 2018
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
20 Dead in El Paso Shooting Massacre That Has ‘Nexus to a Hate Crime’ – Some Slam Governor After This Tweet
20 people were shot to death and dozens more were injured at an El Paso Walmart Saturday, Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott announced.
— CBS News (@CBSNews) August 3, 2019
At least one intelligence and terrorism expert has labeled the massacre domestic terrorism, and some are calling the suspect a Trump-supporting white supremacist.
They’re too afraid to say it. Radical. White Supremacist. Terrorism.
— Virginia Heffernan (@page88) August 3, 2019
Other reports say the shooter used an AK-47-style assault weapon.
El Paso Police Chief Greg Allen came close to describing the attack as a hate crime, saying it has a “nexus to a hate crime,” according to CNN’s Jim Sciutto.
But many are pointing fingers at Texas Governor Abbott, citing this 2015 tweet and saying he has blood on his hands today.
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) October 28, 2015
Fred Guttenberg, father of Jaime Guttenberg, who was shot to death in the Parkland, Florida massacre, spoke out against the governor:
This is the Texas Governor complaining that they are only # 2 in gun purchases. Congratulations @GovAbbott, Texas just had its latest mass shooting. Act like a leader and acknowledge that you have a gun problem and deal with it. https://t.co/Gjp1w1qKBJ
— Fred Guttenberg (@fred_guttenberg) August 3, 2019
Here’s how some others are responding:
— Girl, Interrupted.🌹 (@stuffhedoes) August 3, 2019
Thoughts and prayers are not enough. Too many elected officials support policies that enable gun tragedies to happen. It’s past time for elected officials to take action to stop these tragedies. https://t.co/Rb8t0I58tc
— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) August 3, 2019
“let’s pick up the pace texans” https://t.co/x8hI04reG3
— Bobby Lewis (@revrrlewis) August 3, 2019
In 2015, TX Governor @GregAbbott_TX put up a tweet expressing regret that Texas wasn’t number 1 in the nation in gun purchases.
This year, he loosened TX gun laws even further. https://t.co/vyW2KklDLW
— igorvolsky (@igorvolsky) August 3, 2019
This is a major reason why nearly two dozen people are dead today in El Paso- politicians bought and paid for by America’s morally and intellectually bankrupt gun lobby. https://t.co/5BPphxzR0v
— Justin Hendrix (@justinhendrix) August 3, 2019
he is part of the problem here peoplehttps://t.co/VkY3ymldw7
— Dave Roush (@theDaveRoush) August 3, 2019
Getting closer! https://t.co/vqyW5oiLX9
— James Urbaniak (@JamesUrbaniak) August 3, 2019
And today the rest of us are once again heart broken. https://t.co/yvvyMpGRwH
— Kevin M. Levin (@KevinLevin) August 3, 2019
Loyal Trump Economist Caught on CNN ‘Making Up Numbers’
Washington Post columnist Catherine Rampell busted Trump-loving economist Stephen Moore on Friday when he falsely claimed that we are seeing vast “deflation” in the United States economy thanks to interest rate hikes by the Federal Reserve.
During a CNN appearance, Moore tried to maintain that the economy was as strong as ever, but he also blamed the Fed for tanking the stock market by raising interest rates over the past several months.
“Both of the rate hikes were unnecessary and were a cause for deflation in the economy,” he said.
“Wait, wait, wait!” interjected Rampell. “There is no deflation!”
“Yeah there is,” Moore replied.
“No there is not,” she shot back. “Look at the Consumer Price Index!”
Moore tried to counter by noting that some prices on the Commodities Price Index had dropped — but Rampell hit back by saying that much of that was due to President Donald Trump’s trade wars.
“Soy bean prices are falling because of the trade war,” she said.
Rampell then nailed Moore for his false warnings during the Obama presidency that it was unwise for the Fed to keep interest rates low because it would lead to hyperinflation — despite the fact that the economy at the time was deeply depressed and much more in need of easy money.
“I’m old enough to remember when, ten years ago, during an actual deflation, you went on TV on a rival network and said we were about to have hyperinflation and told the Fed that it was irresponsible then to keep rates low,” she said. “It’s totally inconsistent and it’s totally irresponsible to make up numbers.”
“I’m not making up numbers,” Moore replied defensively.
Watch the video below.
President’s New Chief of Staff Once Said Trump Would Be Disqualified From Office in an ‘Ordinary Universe’
And He Supported Him Anyway
Mick Mulvaney, who is about to become the President’s Acting Chief of Staff, just two years ago said Trump would be disqualified from office in an “ordinary universe.” At the time, Mulvaney was a sitting Republican U.S. Congressman.
CNN’s Andrew Kaczynski reports Mulvaney’s remarks came one week after the “Access Hollywood” bombshell tape dropped, exposing some of Trump’s most disgusting remarks ever.
Mulvaney, who now says he “believes in” President Trump, had a far different take in October of 2016.
“My guess is worse stuff is going to come out in the last 30 days,” Mulvaney said on a South Carolina radio show. “They’ve got more videotapes. Everything the guy’s ever said is on a videotape or an audio tape. There is going to be some atrocious things that are gonna come out.”
But he also made clear he would still not support the Democratic candidate.
“That’s not going to make Hillary Clinton a good candidate for president,” Mulvaney added.
“Should either of these people be, be a role model for my 16-year-old triplets? No,” Mulvaney told the radio station. “In an ordinary universe, would both of these people’s past activities disqualify them for serving for office? Yes. But that’s not the world we live in today. The world we live in today, it’s either him or her and for me that’s still an easy choice.”
In the interview Mulvaney also compared Hillary Clinton to “a man-eating lion.”
Weeks later, in November of 2016, Mulvaney called Trump “a terrible human being,” as The Daily Beast reported.
Mulvaney is the current director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, and will remain in that role as well.
In 2017 Mulvaney infamously claimed Meals on Wheels, the program that puts food in the mouths of home-bound seniors, was “just not showing any results.”
- News2 days ago
Trump Hinted Jan. 6 Would Be His ‘Last-Ditch’ Attempt to Overturn the Election Results: Filmmaker Alex Holder
- News1 day ago
Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves Dismisses ‘Real Small, Minor Number’ of Rapes Requiring Abortions
- News12 hours ago
‘Impeach Justice Clarence Thomas’: More Than One Million Signatures as Petition Goes Viral
- News9 hours ago
Trump Celebrates Fourth of July by Attacking His Enemies as Biden Hails the American ‘Idea’ of ‘Hope’
- News13 hours ago
‘The American People Are on Our Side’: Democrat Offers Idea to Save Women’s Freedoms
- BREAKING NEWS8 hours ago
Mass Shooting at Fourth of July Parade Leaves Six Dead, Possibly Two Dozen Wounded – Shooter at Large: Reports
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM3 hours ago
GOP Nominee for Illinois Governor Offers Prayers Then Quickly Dismisses July 4 Mass Shooting: ‘Let’s Move On’
- BREAKING NEWS5 hours ago
President Biden: ‘Jill and I Are Shocked by the Senseless Gun Violence’ at Highland Park July 4th Mass Shooting