NRA Becomes Toxic
Add United Airlines to the list of companies that are severing partnerships with the NRA. Earlier Saturday morning Delta Airlines also cut ties to the gun group.
United is notifying the NRA that we will no longer offer a discounted rate to their annual meeting and we are asking that the NRA remove our information from their website.
â€” United Airlines (@united) February 24, 2018
The NRA is facing a massive backlash unlike ever before, after 17 people were shot to death last week in a tragic high school massacre. Student survivors and activists and celebrities and many other Americans have been urging companies that partner with the NRA to stop their support of the gun lobby.
ThinkProgress has been one of the organizations leading the charge by identifying companies that have developed partnerships with the gun lobby. A story it published Tuesday has led to the now 18 companies, including United and Delta, who are finding the NRA is toxic.
Among them are these:
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Brad Parscale, a senior advisor with the Trump campaign who was demoted in July, has just announced he is quitting the President’s re-election effort entirely. Parscale was arrested by police over the weekend when his wife called 911 to say he was intoxicated, threatening self harm, and had weapons.
“I am stepping away from my company and any role in the campaign for the immediate future to focus on my family and get help dealing with the overwhelming stress,” Parscale said in a statement, as CNN reports.
Parscale’s wife Candice had told police, according to the official incident report, that her husband had been violent with her. In a statement Wednesday she denied her previous remarks.
“The statements I made on Sunday have been misconstrued, let it be clear my husband was not violent towards me that day or any day prior,” she said.
The police report states she said “Brad Parscale hits her.”
According to the Daily Mail, Parscale is under investigation for “stealing” $40 million from the Trump campaign and $10 million from the RNC. Those entities have denied the report.
Chris Wallace ‘Sad’ How Debate ‘Turned Out’: ‘Never Dreamt That It Would Go Off the Tracks’
Chris Wallace, the Fox News anchor who more than most at the right wing cable network stands up to President Donald Trump, was exceptionally passive in his moderation of the first presidential debate of 2020.
He was equally passive in how he discussed and described his performance.
“I’m just sad with the way last night turned out,” Wallace passively told The New York Times’ Michael Grynbaum.
“I never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did,” he continued, appearing to take no responsibility for what was overwhelmingly described on social media Tuesday night as a “shit show.”
Continuing down the path of passivity, Wallace lamented it was “a terrible missed opportunity.”
“I’ve read some of the reviews, I know people think, Well, gee, I didn’t jump in soon enough,” he added. “I guess I didn’t realize — and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 — that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.”
There in fact was every reason to believe Trump would do what he did Tuesday night – bully, attack, threaten, lie, talk over his opponent, talk over the moderator, refuse to answer direct questions, and embarrass the nation – because he’s done it before, to varying degrees.
“I’m a pro. I’ve never been through anything like this,” Wallace says.
He also refused to blame the president for destroying the entire debate.
Asked directly if Mr. Trump had derailed the debate, Mr. Wallace replied, “Well, he certainly didn’t help.”
Care to elaborate? “No,” Mr. Wallace said. “To quote the president, ‘It is what it is.’”
Wallace seems keenly aware of the power of public opinion, and clearly allowed that to impact his role.
“People have to remember, and too many people forget, both of these candidates have the support of tens of millions of Americans.”
Wallace does not seem to have any regrets.
“Generally speaking, I did as well as I could, so I don’t have any second thoughts there,” Mr. Wallace said, in conclusion. “I’m just disappointed with the results. For me, but much more importantly, I’m disappointed for the country, because it could have been a much more useful evening than it turned out to be.”
Debate Commission Will Let Moderators Cut Candidates’ Mics
After President Donald Trump wholly ignored both the debate rules he agreed to and the moderator he agree to, the Committee on Presidential Debates said it would examine options to get control him.
The Commission will allow future debate moderators to cut candidates’ microphones if they deem necessary, according to CBS News’ Norah O’Donnell.
EXCLUSIVE: @CBSNews has learned the Commission on Presidential Debates plans to issue strict new rules in the coming days that include cutting off a candidate’s microphone if they violate the rules, per an informed source.
More tonight on the @CBSEveningNews
— Norah O’Donnell 🇺🇸 (@NorahODonnell) September 30, 2020
That would be one option of several moderators can expect to be given – it’s unclear if the candidates will have to agree to the updated rules.
The Commission issued a statement Wednesday in response to the disaster caused by President Trump. The organization said Tuesday’s “debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues.”
They have vowed they “are going to be making changes” to avoid a replay of last night’s out of control catastrophe.
President Trump turned the debate into what many called a “shit show.”
- FRAUD2 days ago
Forbes Adds It Up: Trump Is $1.1 Billion in Debt
- DONALD TRUMP IS A DANGER TO DEMOCRACY2 days ago
Trump Owes Hundreds of Millions to Russia Top Mueller Attorney Strongly Suggests
- News2 days ago
Florida Police Release Body Cam Footage of Arrest of Former Trump Campaign Manager Brad Parscale
- LOL - NOPE!2 days ago
Watch: Eric Trump Clumsily Claims on Fox News the LGBTQ Community Loves His Father – It Does Not Go Well
- LIES LIES LIES2 days ago
New Revelations in Leaked Trump Campaign Documents Show Brad Parscale Lied to Congress
- FRAUD2 days ago
‘Can’t Afford to Lose’: Drudge Report Totally Destroys Donald Trump – ‘Lost More Money Than Made?’
- News3 days ago
Trump Campaign Blames Democrats for Ex-Campaign Manager Parscale’s Reported Self-Harm Threat
- News1 day ago
Trump Campaign Makes Astonishing Demand of Fox News Moderator Before Debate: No COVID Stats