Says Mexico Will Pay â€˜In Some Formâ€™
During a meeting with reporters at Camp David on Saturday, Donald Trump confirmed his intent to hold DACA recipients hostage to obtain funding for his border wall.
In September, Donald Trump and his administration announced their decision to kill the immigration program designed to protect undocumented immigrants brought into the United States by their parents as children. Around 800,000 DREAMers were affected.
The president advised he had â€œno second thoughtsâ€ on the decision.
On Saturday, a reporter inquired about the program. â€œI can say some of the basics,â€ Trump responded. â€œThe wallâ€™s gonna happen or weâ€™re not gonna have DACA. We want to get rid of chain migration, very important, and we want to get rid of the lottery system.â€
â€” CBS News (@CBSNews) January 6, 2018
â€œWe want DACA to happen,â€ Trump continued. â€œWe all want DACA to happen. But we all want great security for our country. We want to stop the drugs from flowing in, very important.â€
The president subsequently muttered one of his favorite phrases, mirroring the launch of his campaign, noting that â€œtheyâ€™re not sending us their finest.â€
The conversation turned to the wall in a follow-up, in which the president was asked if additional efforts had been made to have Mexico pay for the proposed wall. â€œI believe that Mexico will pay for the wall,â€ Trump said. â€œI have a very good relationship with Mexicoâ€¦ Mexico will pay, in some form, Mexico will pay for the wall.â€
You can watch the exchange below:
President Trump addresses immigration and the border while at Camp David: â€œIn some form, Mexico will pay for the wallâ€ https://t.co/6NqwfL1TOO
â€” CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 6, 2018
Trump’s administration asked Congress on Friday to set aside that amount over the next 10 years to build or extendÂ the nearly 700-mile barrier that became a signature 2016 presidential campaign pledge.
The estimate is the most detailed accounting yet of how much it will cost to make the border wall a reality.
The proposal by Customs and Border Protection calls for 316 miles of additional barrier by September 2027, bringing total coverage to 970 miles, or nearly half the border, according to the Associated Press, citing an unnamed U.S. official with direct knowledge of the matter.
It also calls for 407 miles of replacement or secondary fencing, said the official, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the plan has not been made public.
Mexico will not pay for the wallâ€”at this point, American citizens will. And when it comes to DACA, Senator Elizabeth Warren may have put it best:
Dreamers arenâ€™t bargaining chips. They arenâ€™t pawns in @realDonaldTrumpâ€™s game. We made a promise. We said come out of the shadows & be fully woven into the fabric of America because thatâ€™s who you are. In America, we work hard & dream big & we must keep our promise to Dreamers.
â€” Elizabeth Warren (@SenWarren) January 6, 2018
To comment on this article and other NCRM content,Â visit our Facebook page.
If you find NCRM valuable, would you pleaseÂ consider making a donationÂ to support our independent journalism?
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Cuomo Charged With Sex Crime Months After Resigning as Governor
The former governor who resigned after multiple accusations of sexual harassment resigned, leaving office August 23.
“Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanor complaint in Albany City Court for a sex-crime related charge, a spokesperson for New York State courts tells NBC News,” according to NBC’s Tom Winter.
A investigation by New York Attorney General Letitia James found the Democratic governor had sexually harassed at least eleven women, most of them state employees.
This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change.
Meadows ‘Will Face Consequences’ for Stonewalling Jan. 6 Committee if He Does Not Comply With Subpoena: Report
Could former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows face criminal contempt of Congress charges like Steve Bannon?
The House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack subpoenaed Meadows, a former GOP congressman, on September 23, over a month ago, and he has yet to comply.
“Our patience isn’t unlimited, and engagement needs to become cooperation very soon,” a Select Committee source told CNN. “As we’ve already made clear, anyone who tries to stonewall our effort will face the consequences.”
The committee sees Meadows, who has been by Trump’s side every step of the way even for months before exiting the House to join the Trump administration, as a “key witness.”
Jan. 6 Select Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS) is being patient but that appears to be waning thin.
“If and when the staff says to us it’s not going anywhere, there won’t be any hesitation on the part of the committee to make the referrals” for contempt of Congress he tells CNN.
CNN adds multiple sources have “indicated” Meadows has “been ‘engaging’ in negotiations over the terms of his turning over documents and appearing for a deposition.”
Earlier this week a bombshell Rolling Stone report citing two people involved with planning the January 6 pro-Trump rallies mentioned Meadows nine times, including calling him “someone who played a major role in the conversations surrounding the protests on Jan. 6.”
That report also says those sources describe Meadows “as having had an opportunity to prevent the violence” of January 6, and that “Meadows was 100 percent made aware of what was going on.”
Rupert Murdoch Is a ‘Domestic Threat’ Says Never-Trumper Over Tucker Carlson’s Upcoming Jan. 6 Special
Stuart Stevens is calling out News Corp founder and chief Rupert Murdoch as a “domestic threat” in response to a stunning preview clip from Fox News’ top personality, Tucker Carlson, that falsely paints Donald Trump’s January 6 insurrection as a false flag operation by Democrats.
“If Rupert Murdoch were applying for American citizenship today, there would be ample evidence to classify him as a domestic threat and deny citizenship,” Stevens says of Murdoch, an Australian-born naturalized U.S. citizen. “He’s a dangerous man who should be treated as the anti-democratic propagandist he is.”
Stevens is known as one of the top Republican strategists who became a never-Trumper and co-founded The Lincoln Project. Murdoch owns News Corp, the parent company of Fox News, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Post, and numerous other outlets across the globe. He became a U.S. citizen in 1985 to meet the requirements to purchase and own TV stations.
The clip of Tucker Carlson’s three-part series on the January 6 insurrection (below) is being called “fucking insane” by fellow never-Trumper Tim Miller, a former GOP strategist.
“I’d like to focus in on the fact that Fox is hosting one of the main architects of the Stop The Steal insurrection Ali Akbar Alexander for this 1/6 special,” Miller adds. “Going full Newsmax.”
In a scathing strike against Carlson, former Obama HUD deputy assistant secretary Brandon Friedman compared the Fox News personality to a radio station known for helping to incite the Rwandan genocide in which more than one million people died and up to half a million women were raped.
Here’s the clip, which is loaded with falsehoods and anti-American, anti-democracy propaganda:
Apparently Fox News is letting Tucker Carlson do a special on his conspiracy theory that January 6 was a “false flag” pic.twitter.com/dYngE77L4r
— Andrew Lawrence (@ndrew_lawrence) October 28, 2021
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM2 days ago
‘When Do We Get to Use the Guns?’: TP USA Audience Member Asks Charlie Kirk When Can ‘We Kill’ Democrats? (Video)
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM2 days ago
‘Embarrassment’: Report on Madison Cawthorn’s Actions Raise ‘Troubling Questions’ Warns Editorial Board
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM2 days ago
Anti-LGBTQ ‘Christocrat’ to Spend Millions to Get Thousands of ‘Patriot Pastors’ to Take Over School Boards Across Texas
- News2 days ago
‘Narcissism’: Sinema Blasted After Video of Her Ignoring Constituent and Apologizing to GOP Senator Goes Viral
- ANALYSIS3 days ago
‘Clearest Case for Prosecuting’ Trump for Jan. 6 Attack Is His ‘Legal Duty to Intervene’ Says Law Professor
- COMMENTARY2 days ago
Congressman Angry at Americans Not Following ‘God’s Laws and His Definition of Marriage’ Lied to High School Students
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM1 day ago
McConnell Backs GOP Candidate Who Called for ‘Total Cleansing’ and Allegedly Threatened to Blow His Wife’s ‘Brains Out’
- BREAKING NEWS3 days ago
Pelosi Officially Notifies US Attorney of Bannon’s Refusal to Comply With Subpoena After Calling for Him to Go to Jail