Connect with us

Trump Will Support Path to Citizenship for 1.8 Million Dreamers – According to His Top Anti-Immigrant Aide

Published

on

Deal Requires $25 Billion to Build the Wall

President Donald Trump will support a path to citizenship for 1.8 million Dreamers, some of whom are DACA recipients, NBC News is just reporting. It would be a major about face if it is true. The President had suggested as much in a quick conversation with reporters Wednesday night, but the statement was confirmed as policy by none other than Stephen Miller, Trump’s senior aide for policy, on a conference call Thursday with Republican lawmakers.

Miller is an anti-immigrant extremist. When he was then-Senator Jeff Sessions’ communications director he managed to kill a 2014 bipartisan attempt at comprehensive immigration reform.

Wednesday night, on the news Trump might allow 1.8 million Dreamers to become legal citizens, Breitbart, the far right wing website until recently headed by former Trump BFF Steve Bannon, ran this headline:

So it follows that many are skeptical.

NBC News now reports Trump’s “demands” for a deal on DACA, include “a $25 billion ‘trust fund’ for a border wall, an end to family reunification, also called ‘chain migration’ by conservatives, and an end to the diversity visa lottery.”

On Sunday GOP Senator Lindsey Graham blasted Miller by name, blaming him for the continuation of the shutdown.

“Every time we have a proposal it is only yanked back by staff members,” Graham told reporters. As long as Stephen Miller is in charge of negotiating immigration, we’re going nowhere.”

Miller is so far to the right he allegedly has ties to Richard Spencer, the white supremacist who reportedly coined the rebranding of the racist hate ideology into the “alt-right” movement.

And in fact, Miller has been labeled a white supremacist by several notables, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Harvard law school constitutional law professor Laurence Tribe, The Intercept columnist Shaun King, and Georgetown University, Vanderbilt University law professor and human rights lawyer Arjun Sethi, among others.

Is this just political posturing, a game of chicken, or can nearly two million Dreamers begin to call home, home?

UPDATE: 6:05 PM –

Image by John St. John via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

Man Shoots and Kills Atlanta Supermarket Cashier, Wounds Guard Over Mask Policy: Police

Published

on

A man pulled out a gun and shot and killed an Atlanta-area Big Bear Supermarket cashier over the store’s mask policy, according to police. Two people, including a DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office reserve unit deputy who was inside the supermarket working as a security guard, and the suspect, were also wounded.

“The subject pulled out a weapon and shot a cashier at the location,” DeKalb County Sheriff Melody Maddox said, according to 11Alive. “The individual is deceased.”

“Although details are not complete, authorities say that the male suspect was involved in a dispute with a young woman before he began firing at her inside the store,” the spokesperson for the sheriff’s office said.

There apparently was an altercation over the mask policy, which is clearly posted on the store’s door.

“A witness, identified as Alan Williams, said a man walked into the store, struck the woman with a gun, then shot her. That’s when the deputy and the suspect exchanged gunfire.”

 

This is a breaking news and developing story. 

Continue Reading

'CAN’T HANDLE COLD OR HEAT'

#AbbottFailedTexas Trends as State Electric Authority Warns of Possible Power Outages Again – This Time in Heat Wave

Published

on

Over the winter at least 151 Texans died as 4.5 million homes and businesses went without power in a massive failure created by poor planning, lack of regulation, and sheer greed.

Last week Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott promised he had fixed the problem.

On Monday, less than seven days later, ERCOT, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, urged customers to turn air conditioning to no cooler than 78 degrees and to conserve power, as it expects more blackouts throughout the week – this time during extreme heat.

In a statement ERCOT also asked Texans to not use ovens, washing machines, or dryers.

“If you don’t need something – we are asking you to turn it off and unplug it if possible.”

Many Texans, and many Americans, are furious.

 

 

Continue Reading

THE GOP IS NOW THE QANON PARTY

FBI Warns Congress of More Possible QAnon Violence Targeting Democratic Lawmakers

Published

on

The FBI has briefed members of Congress that QAnon “digital soldiers” may become violent and engage in more acts of domestic violent extremism, like the January 6 insurrection. In an unclassified version of the threat assessment delivered to top lawmakers in April the Bureau warns that Democrats may be targeted.

Rather than walking away from the far right wing conspiracy movement that paints some top Democrats as part of a dark cabal of cannibalistic Satan-worshipping pedophiles being fought by Donald Trump, some QAnon cultists think “that individuals need to take greater control of the direction of the movement than before,” CNN reports in an exclusive.

The shift is fueled by a belief among some of the conspiracy’s more militant followers that they “can no longer ‘trust the plan” set forth by its mysterious standard-bearer, known simply as “Q,” according an unclassified FBI threat assessment on QAnon sent to lawmakers last week, which was obtained by CNN.

This might lead followers to seek to harm “perceived members of the ‘cabal’ such as Democrats and other political opposition — instead of continually awaiting Q’s promised actions which have not occurred,” according to the assessment.

CNN also reports FBI Director Christopher Wray “made clear the bureau is not investigating” the QAnon movement, but only crimes committed by its adherents.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.