Trump Lied. Period.
The U.S. Dept. of Justice in a late Friday federal court filing admitted that, contrary to PresidentÂ Donald Trump’s repeated claims, there is no evidence President Barack Obama wiretapped then-candidate Donald TrumpÂ at Trump Tower.
“Just found out that Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!” Trump accused via Twitter in early March.
The Hill reports that the DOJ “confirmed in a court briefing filed late Friday that neither it nor the FBI has evidence that Trump Tower was the target of surveillance efforts by the Obama administration during the 2016 presidential election.”
The motion confirms that neither the FBI nor the Justice Department’s National Security Division have records documenting wiretaps as allegedÂ by President Trump in a series of tweets earlier this year.
In other words, for months, Trump and his administration not only accused the former president of having committed a felony, but knowingly lied about it. Further, Trump and his team allowed the right wing media to replicate and amplify the president’s lie, offering no pushback to a tale they knew was false. Trump even told at least one conservative media host that in the next two weeks more information would be released. It was not.Â
Early in the morning on March 4, President Trump posted a stream on insane tweets, accusing his predecessorÂ of having wiretapped him.
Here’s a screenshot of the tweets as they appeared that morning:
Note there is no ambiguity in the series of tweets. Trump clearly attacks and accuses Obama of a felonious act. Â
There has been no acknowledgment by the president or his administration that Trump falsely accused Obama of wiretapping him. There has been no apology.
Right wing websites ran with headlines like,Â “EXCLUSIVE: OBAMA WIRETAPPED TRUMP INSIDERS,” and “The Case Proving Obama Wiretapped Trump.” Two websites closely tied to Trump ran with stories like, “How Obama Wiretapped Trump â€” Spies Tell All,” and “Non-Denial â€˜Denialâ€™: Obama Response to Trump â€˜Wiretapâ€™ Claim Raises More Questions.”
To comment on this article and other NCRM content, visit our Facebook page.
Image by Gage Skidmore via Flickr and a CC licenseÂ
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Trump Says He Will Make SCOTUS Nomination Next Week – Appears He Will Use Seat to Strengthen Where He Is Weak in Polls
President Donald Trump says he will announce his nominee to replace Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg “next week.”
He made clear his primary deciding factors will be to help him in the polls.
Trump told reporters Saturday afternoon “most likely” he will choose a woman.
CNN reports he is leaning towards choosing a woman mostly because he is doing poorly in the polls with women.
Trump spoke about two women judges. He talked about Barbara Lagoa, noting she is Hispanic and from Florida. He is struggling in the polls with Hispanics and in Florida.
Reporters also asked about Amy Coney Barrett, a far right wing anti-choice, anti-LGBTQ extremist. Trump spoke positively about her as well. Reports say she is the current frontrunner.
Trump: I can see most likely it would be a woman, yeah I think I can say that. pic.twitter.com/1csAZefqUF
— Acyn Torabi (@Acyn) September 19, 2020
This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. This story will be updated, and NCRM will likely publish follow-up stories on this news. Stay tuned and refresh for updates.
Republican state leaders threaten violence in “coming war” with Black Lives Matter
This week, two local Republican leaders published and then deleted social media posts which threatened violence in an imminent right-wing clash against Black Lives Matter and Antifa (anti-fascist) activists.
First, Iron County, Utah commissioner Paul Cozzens published a now-deleted picture showing a soldier with a gun and the words: “Warning to BLM & Antifa—Once you’ve managed to defund & eliminate the police, there’s nobody protecting you from us. Remember that.”
— Jesse Harris (@elforesto) September 16, 2020
Cozzens later told Newsweek that he never supports violence against protestors but merely wanted to say that “If we defund the police, fathers and mothers will be forced to protect their families and properties which would descend us into anarchy.”
What Cozzens may not realize is that many Black Lives Matter and Antifa activists already believe that police do a terrible job protecting them from right-wing violence. Such activists have sometimes been subject to violence from the police themselves, bringing into doubt the whole question of whether police “protect” them from anything.
Second, Michael Brown — a Republican member of the Johnson County Commission in Kansas City, Missouri — published a now-deleted Facebook message in which he urged his followers to “buy a firearm and ammunition” for “the coming war” that is both “inevitable” and caused by left-wing police reform activists and Democratic leaders who are “silent” and “weak.”
“[This] isn’t a joke or hyperbole,” Brown wrote. “I’d rather fight and die than live in their dictated world.”
At a time when heated rhetoric rarely surprises me, I have to admit shock in seeing something like this from a local elected. Gross distortions; encouraging constituents to prepare for armed war w/political opponents?
This is reckless. This is racist. This is wrong.
Just stop. https://t.co/Zc50URHgEW
— Mayor Q (@QuintonLucasKC) September 14, 2020
In response, Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas wrote on Twitter, “At a time when heated rhetoric rarely surprises me, I have to admit shock in seeing something like this from a local elected. Gross distortions; encouraging constituents to prepare for armed war w/political opponents? This is reckless. This is racist. This is wrong. Just stop.”
Brown later said that he had made the post in response to Monday reports of a gunman who opened fire on a parked sheriff’s squad car, killing two officers in Los Angeles. Brown said he was “speaking out against violence and calling on other electeds, community leaders and citizens to do the same.”
Dept. of Education threatens to withhold $18 million from schools that let transgender athletes compete
The U.S. Department of Education (DOE), led by Betsy DeVos (pictured above), is threatening to withhold $18 million in federal funds from three Connecticut school districts unless they stop following the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference’s guidelines allowing transgender athletes to compete in sports.
The DOE’s Office for Civil Rights sent a letter to the Groton, Hartford and New Haven school districts telling them that allowing trans students to compete in sports teams matching their gender identities violates Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, a subsection of the law that requires federally funded institutions not to discriminate on the basis of sex.
Connecticut Attorney General William Tong has pledged to “vigorously oppose” defunding efforts, but the state’s Democratic Governor Ned Lamont has said he doesn’t want to lose federal dollars over the policy, potentially placing it at risk.
The anti-LGBTQ legal group Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) is currently suing five Connecticut school districts over the same policy for the same reasons. The suit, brought by the parents of three cisgender female track athletes makes the same Title IX claims as the DOE and claims that trans girls have an unfair physical advantage which could prevent their daughters from advancing in competitions and winning college scholarships.
Earlier in her tenure, DeVos rolled back Obama-era protections allowing trans students to use bathrooms and locker rooms matching their gender identity. She later admitted that she did this even though she knew that it could lead to increased harassment, depression, and possibly suicide among transgender students.
- News3 days ago
As Coronavirus Exploded USPS Had a Plan to Send 5 Facemasks to Every Home – the White House Killed It
- News3 days ago
‘It Was Terrifying’: Former Top Pence Coronavirus Staffer Slams Trump – and Says He Calls Supporters ‘Disgusting’
- 'THE SHARP DETERIORATION OF DEMOCRACY'3 days ago
Noam Chomsky: The World Is Facing the Most Dangerous Moment in Human History
- REMEMBER THE PAPER TOWELS?2 days ago
Trump to Announce Billions in Aid To Puerto Rico in Desperate Attempt to Win Florida
- DEPRAVED INDIFFERENCE2 days ago
‘We’re Screwed’: New Details Emerge About Jared Kushner’s Refusal to Help Battle COVID-19
- ZERO SUM GAME3 days ago
Trump and Barr Are Creating a Perfect Storm for Post-Election Violence: British Journalist
- 'SOLD!'2 days ago
‘Hip Hip, Hooray!’: Haley Praised for ‘Endorsing’ Biden After She Warns He Would Move US ‘Pretty Dramatically’ Left
- WHAM!2 days ago
Biden Slams Trump: If the President Had Any Confidence He Was Likely to Win the Election He Wouldn’t Be Doing This