Connect with us

Trump Launches Trump TV ‘Real News’ and Americans Want to Know if They’re Paying for It

Published

on

‘Who Owns Trump TV? The Trump Organization? Is It a Kind of Campaign Contribution? Is That Legal? And Is There Any WH Cooperation?’ Asks Conservative Pundit

On Saturday CNN contributor Kayleigh McEnany announced on social media she was leaving the news network and would “be moving to a new role.”

“Stay tuned next week!” she said. On Sunday, President Donald Trump released a video on Facebook featuring McEnany delivering “Real News.”

Join Kayleigh McEnany as she provides you the news of the week from Trump Tower in New York! #MAGA #TeamTrump” the President posted to Facebook.

Now taxpayers are demanding to know who’s paying for it.

“Thank you for joining us as we provide you the news of the week from Trump Tower here in New York,” McEnany tells viewers on Facebook and Twitter. In just 24 hours her video (above) has been viewed more than 1.1 million times on Facebook alone. (Twitter does not publicly provide viewing statistics.)

After rattling off positive economic indicators, including the unemployment rate and consumer confidence levels, McEnany, in her “news” video, “reports” that “President Trump has clearly steered the economy back in the right direction.” Many economists disagree, believing Trump is benefiting from policies of the Obama administration, is “overstating his responsibility for recent better growth and jobs numbers,” and “might also be a drag on growth.”

McEnany’s “news” is not entirely fact-based. “For decades, a steady rise in immigration has depressed the wages of American workers,” McEnany falsely states. She also claims Trump’s newly-announced attack on legal immigration will “raise wages, decrease poverty, and save the taxpayers billions.” That’s at best disputable.

Former U.S. Ambassador to Russia under President Barack Obama, Michael McFaul, said the video “Feels eerily like so many state-owned channels I’ve watched in other countries.”

And CNN investigative reporter Andrew Kaczynski noted, “You get the same vibe from this broadcast as those paid-programming news-style programs that air at 3am.” 

The video begins with the Trump-Pence campaign logo and ends with a photo of Trump at a campaign rally. 

Many on social media, even conservatives like Bill Kristol, are demanding to know if taxpayers are paying for this Trump propaganda. 

Others:

The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Rob Tornoe reports the funding of Trump TV is coming from the Trump re-election campaign.

“The program, which had previously been hosted by Trump’s daughter-in-law Lara Trump and is paid for with funds from Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign, appears to align with rumors that first appeared during the 2016 campaign of the development of a “Trump TV” program,” Tornoe states.

HuffPost UK says now that thee’s Trump propaganda TV, “Trump Has Gone Full-North Korea.”

To comment on this article and other NCRM content, visit our Facebook page.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

NOT HOW THIS WORKS

Bernie Sanders Reverses – Announces He Will Not Release His Full Medical Records Even After Heart Attack

Published

on

‘I Don’t Think We Will’

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, independent of Vermont, has announced he will not be releasing his full medical records after suffering a heart attack late last year. Sanders, 78, is currently seen as the frontrunner in the race for the Democratic nomination for president.

“We have released, I think, quite as much as any other candidate has,” Sen. Sanders said, defending his decision to reverse his promise of releasing a full set of medical records just after his October heart attack.

But in October, after the heart attack, Sanders said releasing his medical records was “the right thing to do.” He also had promised to release them “before the first votes are cast,” a deadline he’s missed.

“People do have a right to know about the health of a senator and someone running for president,” Sanders told CNN’s Sanjay Gupta on October 10. “At the appropriate time we’ll make all the medical records public for you or anyone else who wants to see them.”

Here’s Sanders just after his heart attack promising to release his full medical records:

Tuesday night he gave a very different response.

“We released two rather detailed letters from cardiologists and we released a letter that came from the head of the U.S. Congress medical group, the physicians there. So I think we have released a detailed report, and I’m comfortable with what we have done,” Sanders told Anderson Cooper Tuesday night at a CNN town hall.

“If you think I’m not in good health come on out with me on the campaign trail and I’ll let you introduce me to the three or four rallies a day that we do,” Sanders joked.

Cooper pressed the three-term Senator if he would be releasing his full medical records in the future.

“I don’t think we will, no,” Sanders responded.

President Donald Trump was largely decried and mocked for his refusal to release his full medical records when he was running in 2016. He has never released a full set, and his White House physician’s reports have been largely received as fictive.

Watch:

MSNBC analyst and DailyBeast columnist Jonathan Alter called Sanders’ move “Trumpish.”

Talking Points Memo founder and publisher Josh Marshall weighed in:

 

Continue Reading

SCAM SHAM OR SLAM?

New Report Claims Barr Has Said He Is Considering Quitting if Trump Continues to Tweet About DOJ: WaPo

Published

on

The Washington Post Tuesday night reports Attorney General Bill Barr has told multiple people “close to President Trump” inside and outside the White House that he is considering quitting if the President continues to tweet about Dept. of Justice investigations.

“He has his limits,” said one person familiar with Barr’s thinking, speaking on the condition of anonymity, like others, to discuss internal deliberations.

The new report comes on the heels of what many believe to be a disinformation campaign coordinated by the DOJ and the White House last week, when Barr told ABC News that Trump tweeting about investigations makes it “impossible” for him to do his job.

Trump dismissed Barr’s remarks, and has continued to tweet about DOJ matters.

Many experts have gone as far as to say Barr believes his job is to protect the President, and Trump’s tweets just make that harder.

 

Continue Reading

PARDON ME?

Family of One of the Felons President Pardoned Donated Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars to Trump Campaign: Report

Published

on

Out of the blue President Donald Trump on Tuesday pardoned or commuted the sentences of eleven people. One of those who received a full pardon from the president is Paul Pogue, the founder of a large Texas construction company.

Pogue pleaded guilty to underpaying his taxes over a three-year period by $473,000. The White House published a long list of the charitable giving Pogue has made to support Trump’s decision to issue the pardon.

“For more than 30 years, he has provided significant humanitarian aid to countries around the world, including Africa, India, and Mexico, all while continuing to help his fellow Americans in times of need,” the White House stated. “Mr. Pogue is the founder of two non-profit organizations.  One constructs churches, clinics, schools, and orphanages in developing countries.”

What the White House neglected to mention are donations to the Trump campaign made by his family after his conviction.

“According to FEC filings, Pogue’s family has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct contributions and in-kind air travel to the Trump Victory Fund,” The Daily Beast’s Justin Baragona and Asawin Suebsaeng report. “Beginning in August 2019, Ben Pogue—CEO of Pogue Construction and son of Paul Pogue—and his wife Ashleigh made over $200,000 in contributions to the campaign.”

The Daily Beast notes that just this past August, “Ben Pogue donated $85,000 to Trump Victory while Ashleigh Pogue contributed $50,000 that month. The following month, Ben Pogue made an in-kind air travel contribution of $75,404.40. The couple also made several large donations to the Republican National Committee and each donated $5,600 to Donald Trump for President Inc.”

Along the way the Pogues a few made smaller political donations, including to Rick Santorum’s 2016 presidential campaign. Now a CNN contributor, Santorum argued for Pogue’s pardon.

“In 2015, Pogue and his family contributed $11,000 to Santorum’s 2016 campaign,” the Philadelphia Inquirer reports, making clear that Santorum “helped secure a pardon” for Pogue.

EARLIER:

Trump to Grant Clemency to Former Giuliani Partner and Disgraced NYPD Commissioner Bernard Kerik

In Apparent Message, Trump Signs Surprise Pardon for Felon Convicted of Failing to Report Extortion and Bribery

In Yet Another Apparent Message Trump Expected to Commute Sentence of Ex-Governor Who Wanted to Sell Obama’s Senate Seat

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 AlterNet Media.