Connect with us

BREAKING: LGBT Legal Group Asks Supreme Court to Decide Civil Rights Act Protects Gay Workers

Published

on

‘The Civil Rights Act Protects All Workers Against Sexual Orientation Discrimination’ Says Lambda Legal

Lambda Legal has just petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court to rule that federal civil rights laws banning sex discrimination extend to protecting gay, lesbian, and bisexual employees. The LGBT legal group argues that several appellate courts have already ruled that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity is sex discrimination. Sex discrimination is banned by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Earlier Thursday the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals denied Lambda Legal’s request for an en banc hearing of the case of Jameka K. Evans, who was fired from her job as a security guard at Georgia Regional Hospital. Evans says supervisors targeted her for termination after harassing her because she is a lesbian, as NCRM reported. In March a three judge panel of the 11th Circuit ruled 2-1 against Evans.

Citing precedent to support Evans’ case, Lambda Legal on Thursday notes that earlier this year “the full Seventh Circuit ruled that Ivy Tech Community College violated the Civil Rights Act by discriminating against Kimberly Hively because she is a lesbian.”

“In May, the full Second Circuit Court of Appeals granted en banc review in Zarda v. Altitude Express the case of a New York skydiving instructor who was fired from his job because he was gay.”

Greg Nevins, Counsel and Employment Fairness Strategist for Lambda Legal, says: “We will continue to press the legally correct argument, recognized by so many other courts, that the Civil Rights Act protects all workers against sexual orientation discrimination, whether they are gender-conforming in particular ways or not.”

Nevins told the Washington Blade they will ask the Supreme Court “to resolve this once and for all and say on a national level that you cannot file people under federal law for being lesbian, gay or bisexual.”

The Supreme Court last week agreed to hear the Masterpiece Cake Shop case, and will decide if discrimination against LGBT people based on religious beliefs is constitutional. If the Court accepts the Evans case, next year will be a huge one for the LGBTQ community and allies.

To comment on this article and other NCRM content, visit our Facebook page.

Image via Lambda Legal

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

News

‘Traitor’ Tuberville Targeted by Retired Colonel for ‘Kneecapping America’s Military’ Over Pentagon Abortion Policy

Published

on

U.S. Senator Tommy Tuberville‘s holds on more than 300 military promotions is creating an “unsafe” situation and “undermining” U.S. military readiness, according to the Secretary of Defense, with one retired U.S. Air Force Colonel stepping up to call the Alabama Republican lawmaker a “traitor.”

Sen. Tuberville has been blocking every military promotion requiring Senate confirmation since February, an act that affects not only those officers but their families, and those who would be promoted to fill their role, along with their families. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin lamented on Monday that the U.S. now faces the “unprecedented” situation of not having Senate-confirmed leaders atop three military service branches: Army, Navy, and Marines.

The Alabama Senator claims his reason for blocking the promotions is a response to the Pentagon’s policy of reimbursing service members who need to travel out of state to obtain abortion services. That policy was put in place after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade, and some Republican-led states began enacting abortion bans.

Retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Moe Davis is an outspoken attorney and former administrative law judge known for resigning as the Chief Prosecutor at Guantanamo Bay over his opposition to waterboarded prisoners being charged – waterboarding is considered torture by Davis and many authorities, and is also considered illegal and a possible war crime.

On Monday Col. Davis declared, “Thanks to Tommy ‘Tantrum’ Tuberville, the Army, Navy & Marine Corps do not have confirmed leaders and hundreds of other senior military officers are in limbo. If you think the @GOP gives a rat’s ass about America’s military and nat’l security, you’re a special kind of stupid.”

He also nicknamed Sen. Tiberville “Traitor Tubbs.”

“Because of @SenTuberville, the Army, Navy & Marine Corps lack leaders, so who bankrolls Traitor Tubbs?” he asked. Davis answered his own question, listing companies including Boeing, Lockheed Martin, FedEx, John Deere, TMobile, CSX, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, among others.

Davis slammed Lockheed Martin in particular.

“It’s a disgrace that defense contractors and those who love to be seen waving the flag and talking about how they support the troops bankroll the lone senator who is single-handedly kneecapping America’s military. They talk the talk, but they don’t walk the walk,” he wrote.

He widened his attack to include other top military contractors, and included an image of the wall of photos of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, now missing three top leaders.

See Col. Davis’ social media post above or at this link.

Image of Sen. Tuberville via Shutterstock

Continue Reading

News

Georgia Court Posts and Removes Possible Trump Indictment Charges – Witness Says ‘Moving Faster Than They Thought’

Published

on

A document appearing to be a list of charges against Donald Trump was posted to the Fulton County court website Monday afternoon, and quickly removed, but not before Reuters was able to grab a copy, report on its contents, and republish it.

It is unclear why the document, which Reuters has posted here, was published and removed, but reporters at the courthouse say District Attorney Fani Willis’ office says there is not indictment yet.

The document is not definitive and may or may not be the actual list of charges the grand jury will bring. It is possible the grand jury will not indict Trump at all, or might indict on other charges.

But listed among the charges on the document are “Violation Of The Georgia RICO (Racketeer Influenced And Corrupt Organizations) Act,” which is listed as a “Serious Felony.” The remaining charges on the document are all listed as felonies, some of which include: “Solicitation of Violation of Oath by Public Officer,” “Conspiracy To Commit Impersonating a Public Officer,” “Conspiracy To Commit Forgery in the First Degree,” “Conspiracy To Commit False Statements and Writings,” “Conspiracy To Commit Filing False Documents,” “Conspiracy To Commit Forgery in the First Degree,” “Conspiracy To Commit False Statements and Writings,” among others.

READ MORE: ‘Blatantly Unlawful’: Legal Experts Warn Trump Now Attempting ‘Witness Tampering in Real Time’

One witness, who was expected to testify before the grand jury on Tuesday, announced on social media it appeared the timetable has been escalated.

“Change of plans. I’m going to court today. They’re moving faster than they thought,” wrote George Chidi.

Former U.S. Dept. of Defense Special Counsel Ryan Goodman responded, saying, “I wonder if the mistaken entry on the docket has expedited the Fulton County DA’s plans.”

Top Trump U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz, who appeared to be jockeying to be named Trump’s Attorney General last week if the ex-president is re-elected, expressed outrage.

“This is OUTRAGEOUS government conduct and is a very legitimate basis to deem the entire Grand Jury process tainted & corrupted,” he baselessly claimed. “MOTION TO DISMISS!!!”

National security attorney Brad Moss says, “Someone messed up and posted a filing earlier, apparently. That person might very well find themselves without a job this evening.”

 

Continue Reading

News

‘New Instructions Beamed From Truth Social’: Democrat Slams Republicans for ‘Trying to Link Hunter to Joe’

Published

on

U.S. Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-FL) is criticizing Republicans in the House and Senate over what he suggests is their “hypocrisy” after Attorney General Merrick Garland elevated David Weiss on Friday. Weiss is the Trump-appointed U.S. Attorney who was granted special counsel status to continue his investigation into Hunter Biden after Republicans specifically asked the Attorney General to do so.

“93 House Republicans last year called for Trump appointee David Weiss to be named special counsel. Now that he has been, they’re labeling their own recommendations as ‘weaponization,'” Moscowitz said on social media, while suggesting they are taking orders from Donald Trump: “The hypocrisy is endless, but they must’ve received new instructions beamed from Truth Social.”

Rep. Moskowitz on MSNBC also called out by name U.S. Senators Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, Chuck Grassley, Marsha Blackburn, and Marco Rubio, as part of the 30-plus senators who sent a letter asking specifically for Weiss to be granted special counsel status.

READ MORE: ‘Unsafe’: Defense Secretary Warns on US Military Readiness as Tuberville’s Armed Forces Block Hits ‘Painful Milestone’

Moskowitz also slammed the “90-plus House Republicans” who he says “sent a letter saying they wanted David Weiss to be appointed special prosecutor, including, you know, most of the Freedom Caucus to ask for that.”

He accused Republicans of having “a little amnesia. That’s what happens today in politics. They think that the viewers don’t have any memory.”

And he exposed Republicans for trying to link Hunter Biden to President Joe Biden, adding, “there’s not a single shred of evidence that goes to Joe Biden.”

“If you listen to the Republican language, you can see it, that’s why they never say ‘Joe Biden’ in any of these committee hearings, or in fact, or any of the tweets that the committee’s put out. They say ‘the Biden family’ or they say ‘the Biden’s,’ you know, with an apostrophe ‘s’ you know, trying to link hunter to Joe.”

Watch below or at this link.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.