Connect with us

Fox News Anchor Tucker Carlson Says Hollywood ‘Had To’ Let ‘Moonlight’ Win Because of Political Correctness

Published

on

‘That’s the Law, There Was Really No Way Around That’ 

Tucker Carlson says Hollywood “had to” let Moonlight win the Oscar Sunday night, out of political correctness. The Fox News anchor made a guest appearance on Fox & Friends Monday morning as the show’s mock “Oscars expert,” and proceeded to claim the choice of Moonlight was a “foregone” conclusion, somehow appearing to suggest the reason for the post-midnight mixup during which for a few seconds La La Land had been announced the Best Picture winner was all an effort to steal the award and give it to a film starring Black actors that held an LGBT theme.

“Moonlight had to win because you knew what the film was about. And that’s part of the problem with Hollywood,” Carlson actually said on-air.

“Well, finally something interesting happens at one of these dumb award shows,” Carlson said as he began his critique. “And it couldn’t happen to better people.”

Conservatives in recent years have boycotted or otherwise trashed Hollywood and its films and shows like the Academy Awards because of their perception that most of the industry is very liberal.

“And you knew it had to happen, because Moonlight had to win,” he continued, as The Daily Beast reports. “That’s the law, there was really no way around that. This was a foregone conclusion, because it’s not just a good movie, ‘it’s an important movie,'” he said, in a mocking tone. “It’s a movie that instructs you, that changes you morally. And that’s kind of the aim of Hollywood—is not just to entertain, but to instruct.”

Failed Republican Senator and presidential candidate Rick Santorum for a short while headed a far right wing Christian film studio that made movies not just to entertain, but to instruct. Conservatives own the corner on so-called think tanks that produce false or misleading materials to “instruct” people on how to think. When it comes to propaganda, conservatives own the market.

Carlson, by the way, perhaps is best known for being half of CNN’s Crossfire, which was canceled in 2004 after Daily Show host Jon Stewart appeared on the program as a guest and destroyed any shred of credibility the “news” hour, and Carlson, had.

Monday, Carlson, in his critique of the film and Hollywood added, “the second you feel a political imperative it destroys your art,” and called filmmakers who try to “elevate” the country, “overbearing and pompous and boorish.”

ThinkProgress took issue with Carlson’s claim that Moonlight “had to” win, saying “Carlson’s statement is patently false. If the honor rewarded political correctness — a euphemism for minorities’ inclusion — perhaps people of color wouldn’t have been erased for decades by the Hollywood establishment and LGBTQ people would’ve been celebrated instead of overshadowed by white, cis men who portrayed them onscreen.”

ThinkProgress concludes: “What’s most troubling about Carlson’s argument, though, is the inherent assumption that black and queer experiences aren’t a standard. To be black and queer is to live on the margins. They are experiences that only exist in the realm of politics, where “others” try to assert themselves and be heard. They aren’t mainstream or deserving.”

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

BIG BROTHER

Herschel Walker Calls for Creation of Federal Agency to Spy on Americans’ Social Media Posts to Prevent Gun Violence

Published

on

Herschel Walker, the Republican U.S. Senate nominee from Georgia, is calling on the federal government to create a “Big Brother” type of agency specifically to surveil Americans’ social media postings as a way to protect the Second Amendment and reduce gun violence.

The former pro-football hero who has the endorsement of Donald Trump suggested to reporters Thursday that men watching women is one of the reasons for mass shootings, and appeared to brush off violence as a problem that’s been happening for much of human history.

“You know Cain killed Abel, you know, and that’s a problem that we have,” he told Fox News. “What we need to do is look into how we can stop those things, you know, they talked about doing a disinformation.”

“What about looking at getting a department that can look at young men that’s looking at women that’s looking at their social media?” Walker offered. “What about doing that, looking into things like that? And we can stop that that way. But yet, they want to continue to talk about taking away your constitutional rights.”

(The Brennan Center for Justice reports there already are well over a dozen federal agencies that perform some form of social media monitoring.)

“This has been happening for years, and the way we stop it, by putting money into the mental health field, by putting money into other departments rather than departments that want to take away your rights,” he added.

Walker’s response to the crisis of gun violence appears more developed than the one he offered to reporters Tuesday, when asked if new gun laws should be passed in the wake off the Uvalde, Texas school massacre.

“What I like to do is see it and everything and stuff,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Questions Swirl About Uvalde Police as Photos, Videos, Witness Accounts Appear to Tell Story of Inaction During Massacre

Published

on

Barely days after 19 elementary school children and two teachers were shot to death by an 18-year old with two AR-15 style assault rifles, questions are swirling about the actions of local law enforcement, supported by video and photos apparently taken by those who were outside Robb Elementary School during the massacre. NCRM has not confirmed the authenticity of the photos or videos posted to social media.

“Frustrated onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman’s rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, witnesses said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a Border Patrol team,” the Associated Press reports.

“Go in there! Go in there!” nearby women shouted at the officers soon after the attack began, said Juan Carranza, 24, who saw the scene from outside his house, across the street from Robb Elementary School in the close-knit town of Uvalde. Carranza said the officers did not go in.

Multiple reports state police waited outside for those 40 minutes, or more, before taking action to neutralize the shooter. During that time, some have noted, it’s possible children who had been shot died of their wounds rather than receiving medical attention.

CNN’s Chief National Security Correspondent Jim Sciutto:

Veteran journalist Soledad O’Brien:

Indeed, additional reports appear to show not only did police not storm the school, for reasons yet unknown, they appear to have prevented desperate parents from doing anything to help save their children, even using force, including a taser, to stop them. And in one case (below,) from the account of one of the children who survived published by CBS affiliate KENS5, police action may have led to the death of one of the students.

VICE News reports “Texas law enforcement officials are being strangely opaque about what actually happened during the shooting at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas.”

“When asked how much time passed between the gunman arriving at the school and the gunman being killed, Texas’ Director of Public Safety Steve McCraw offered an indefinite response.”

“Forty minutes, an hour,” he said. “But I don’t want to give you a particular timeline.”

VICE adds that “officers ‘were responsible’ for containing the gunman in a classroom, McCraw said. (Spokespersons for the Texas Department of Public Safety had repeatedly told news outlets earlier that the suspect barricaded himself into the classroom and immediately started shooting.)”

NBC News correspondent covering national security and intelligence Ken Dilanian:

Matt Novak, a senior writer at the tech site Gizmodo, posted these tweets:

This one is tragic:

Sawyer Hackett, a senior advisor to Julián Castro, the former Obama HUD Secretary and former Mayor of San Antonio, Texas, reposted these videos and offers some commentary:

Even this editor from the right wing website Daily Caller says “it appears the police did everything wrong once the shooter was in the room.”

 

 

Continue Reading

News

‘I Will Find Out’: Jimmy Kimmel Questions Why Texas TV Station Cut Away From His Monologue on School Shooting

Published

on

A Dallas/Fort Worth television station cut away from Jimmy Kimmel’semotional monologue about the Robb Elementary school massacre that left 19 children and two adults dead.

ABC affiliate WFAA-TV interrupted the six-minute, comedy-free monologue with a string of commercials, starting with an in-house news spot, before airing the end of Kimmel’s opener, which he used for a three-minute ad for the gun violence prevention organization Everytown.org, reported the Star-Telegram.

“To my friends in Dallas who are asking: I do not know whether our @ABCNetwork affiliate @wfaa cut away from my monologue tonight intentionally or inadvertently but I will find out,” Kimmel tweeted. “In the meantime, here’s what you didn’t get to see.”

You can watch the clip below or at this link.

A source at the TV station said the commercials were aired and part of the monologue was cut because the 10 p.m. newscast ran long, and an interview with “Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane was also chopped up into segments that aired between commercial breaks.

READ MORE: NYT’s Maggie Haberman reacts to ‘stunning’ testimony that Trump approved of ‘Hang Mike Pence’ chants

Kimmel called out elected officials, including Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and John Cornyn (R-TX), and urged them to take action to prevent another mass shooting.

“Once again we grieve for the little boys and girls,” Kimmel said, fighting back tears. “Whose lives have been ended and whose families have been destroyed. While our leaders on the right, the Americans in Congress and at Fox News and these other outlets warn us not to politicize this. They immediately criticize our president for even speaking about doing something to stop it, because they don’t want to speak about it because they know what they’ve done and they know what they haven’t done, and they know it’s indefensible, so they’d rather sweep this under the rug.”

“The reason they call them common-sense gun laws is because that’s what they are,” he added. “Eighty-nine percent of Americans want background checks before a gun can be purchased, which is the very least we can do.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.