Spicer’s Rant Has All the Hallmarks of a Poor Employee Complaining to His Supervisor That He Never Gets Credit for Doing His Job
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer complained to the press Monday afternoon that he and President Trump are demoralized and hurt by a constant flow of news reports that aren’t framed the way they would like. After lying to the very same reporters on Saturday, and again, minutes earlier in the press briefing room, Spicer lamented the “constant” stream of articles that he says he and President Trump read.
“It’s not about one tweet,” Spicer told reporters. “It’s not about one picture. It’s about a constant theme. It’s about sitting here and every time being told, ‘No. We don’t think he can do that.’ ‘He’ll never accomplish that.’ ‘He can’t win that.’ ‘It won’t be the biggest. It’s not going to be that good. The crowds aren’t that big. He’s not that successful,'” Spicer complained.
“The default narrative is always negative,” he continued. “And it’s demoralizing. When you sit here and you realize the sacrifices the guy made, of leaving a very very successful business, because he really cares about this country, he wants â€“ despite your partisan differences â€“ he cares about making this country better for everybody,” Spicer continued.
“And so when you wake up every day, and you’re not seeing stories about the cabinet folks that he’s putting, or the success that he’s having trying to keep American jobs here, yeah, it is a little disappointing,” Spicer admitted.
Press Sec.: “The default narrative” surrounding Pres. Trump “is always negative and it’s demoralizing…some days we do do the right thing” pic.twitter.com/bdTa3e2xKk
â€” ABC News (@ABC) January 23, 2017
Spicer’s little rant, clearly unscripted and out of frustration, has all the hallmarks of a poor employee complaining to his supervisor that he never gets credit for doing his job.
Trump and his administration aren’t being patted on the back because they are doing a very poor job. Their cabinet picks are grossly unqualified, they have done a terrible job of staffing the White House and other agencies, their policies are abominable; the list is long.
So if Spicer and Trump are going to spend the next four years complaining that they’re not getting lollipops from the voters and from the media, they’re welcome to do what poor employees do: wait to get fired, or quit.
Some responses via Twitter:
How is it that liberals are supposed to be the “snowflakes” when this motherfucker is literally whining about people being mean to Trump. https://t.co/9xRIl1O0jD
â€” Imani Gandy (@AngryBlackLady) January 23, 2017
It’s rich watching @seanspicer whine abt how the media isn’t giving Trump the love given GOP Obama obstruction & that he works for a birther
â€” Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) January 23, 2017
Man, these liberals and their safe zones. Why canâ€™t they just grow up? https://t.co/4D8NRFpHp2
â€” Robbie Medwed (@rjmedwed) January 23, 2017
Spicer says it’s demoralizing for Trump to be criticized. I hope somewhere Barack Obama is playing his tiny violin.
â€” Peter Montgomery (@petemont) January 23, 2017
Spicer: “It’s a little demoralizing, day after day,” to hear media criticism
Perhaps he’d like… a trophy for participation
â€” Emma Roller (@emmaroller) January 23, 2017
Spicer just got up on TV and complained that the basic facts of his boss’ inauguration being smaller than the protests are “demoralizing.”
â€” Rob Flaherty (@Rob_Flaherty) January 23, 2017
Spicer right now. pic.twitter.com/MxJi6ubQuE
â€” Jamelle Bouie (@jbouie) January 23, 2017
What @seanspicer is whining about is what happens to every single president. Especially Obama. Remember the Tea Party? Cry me a river, guy.
â€” Jamil Smith (@JamilSmith) January 23, 2017
This is amazing. Sean Spicer is literally begging for the media to say nice things about them, because it hurts when we don’t. My god. https://t.co/jV6LNzmtmm
â€” Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) January 23, 2017
Spicer lectures media: STOP MAKING POTUS FEEL DEMORALIZED.
â€” Tim Carney (@TPCarney) January 23, 2017
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
DOJ Signals It Is Conducting a Criminal Investigation of George Santos
The U.S. Dept. of Justice Friday signaled it is conducting a criminal investigation of U.S. Rep. George Santos‘ campaign finances when it asked the Federal Election Commission (FEC) to pause its probe into the embattled New York freshman GOP lawmaker.
“The request is the clearest sign to date of an active criminal investigation examining the congressman’s campaign finances,” The Washington Post reports.
But NBC News goes one step further.
“Federal prosecutors in New York have opened an investigation into Rep.-elect George Santos, two law enforcement sources confirmed Thursday,” NBC states. “The probe by federal prosecutors from the Eastern District of New York is at least the second investigation into Santos.”
“The two sources confirmed that prosecutors are examining Santos’ finances, including potential irregularities involving financial disclosures and loans he made to his campaign as he was running for Congress,” NBC adds.
The Santos campaign this week, according to The Daily Beast, amended FEC filings that originally claimed about $625,000 in “personal” loans from the candidate’s personal funds were actually not from the candidates personal funds. Santos has since refused to state where the money came from.
DOJ also asked the FEC for any “relevant documents” for the Santos’ campaign, The Post noted.
“Separately, the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday interviewed two people about Santos’s role in Harbor City Capital, an investment firm that was forced to shut down in 2021 after the SEC accused it of operating a ‘classic Ponzi scheme,'” according to The Post’s reporting.
Watch: Nancy Pelosi Says ‘I Have Absolutely No Intention of Seeing the Deadly Assault on My Husband’s Life’
U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) the former Speaker of the House, told reporters she has no intention of watching just-released video of the almost fatal, brutal attack on her 82-year old husband, allegedly by a hammer-wielding, far-right conspiracy theory promoting extremist.
DePape had “posted antisemitic screeds and entries defending former President Donald Trump and Ye, the rapper formally known as Kayne West who recently made antisemitic comments,” CBS News reported one day after the attack.
Earlier Friday, before the video had been released by a judge’s order, Rep. Pelosi said did not know if she would watch the video.
Later, Friday afternoon, Pelosi said she would not.
“As you know, today there was a release of some information. I have not heard the 911 call. I have not heard the confession. I have not seen the break-in, and I have absolutely no intention of seeing the deadly assault on my husband’s life.”
Prosecutors have described the attack as “near-fatal.”
She also thanked “people for all of their prayers,” and for “asking about the progress my husband is making, and he is making progress, but it will take more time.”
Apparently choking up, she added that she would not be making any more statements about this case as it proceeds, except again to thank people and inform them of Paul’s progress.”
Watch below or at this link.
“I have absolutely no intention of seeing the deadly assault on my husband’s life.”
Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi spoke to reporters after video was made public showing her husband, Paul Pelosi, fighting with his assailant during a brutal attack last year. pic.twitter.com/CGo0s0Ayho
— The Associated Press (@AP) January 27, 2023
Pelosi Attack Video Release Leads to Criticism of Musk, Right Wingers Who ‘Trafficked in Homophobic Conspiracy Nonsense’
News organizations won the release of police body cam video that shows the horrific moment when an intruder, “without warning or hesitation,” whacked Paul Pelosi, the 82-year old husband of the now-former Speaker of the House, with a hammer, knocking him unconscious and to the ground in a pool of blood, in what prosecutors called a “near-fatal” assault.
The alleged assailant is David DePape, a purveyor of far-right conspiracy theories, including QAnon and Pizzagate, COVID-19 disinformation, along with “Big Lie” videos from My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell. He is facing multiple state and federal charges.
Depape reportedly broke into the Pelosi home, screaming, “where’s Nancy?” which some including The Atlantic’s David A. Graham have noted eerily echoes insurrectionists hunting for Nancy Pelosi on January 6, 2021, screaming, “Nancy! Nancy Pelosi!” “Where you at, Nancy?” “Where’s Nancy?”
From the moment news broke of the October 28, 2022 attack on the husband of the Speaker of the House, who told police he was there to violently attack Nancy Pelosi, those on the right, including Elon Musk, ex-president Donald Trump, and other anti-Pelosi and pro-Trump activists, quickly suggested, implied, or even claimed Depape was Paul Pelosi’s boyfriend, or that it had somehow been an anonymous sexual tryst that went bad – despite no evidence.
In the video, which should be watched only with extreme caution, police can be seen approaching the front door of the Pelosi home, the door opening, DePape holding Paul Pelosi by the wrist with one hand, and a hammer in the other. Within seconds he attacks Pelosi, who falls to the ground. Police take DePape down to the ground, and moaning can be heard, although it’s unclear if it is from Pelosi or his alleged assailant.
DePape told police he wanted to break Nancy Pelosi’s kneecaps and hold her hostage. Since she was across the country in D.C., he ended up fracturing her husband’s skull instead.
Despite the video, the far-right refuses to let go of its false claims about Paul Pelosi, which are hurtful not only to the Pelosi family, but to the LGBTQ community.
Just days after the almost deadly attack Donald Trump falsely claimed, “You know, probably, you and I are better off not talking about it. The glass, it seems, was broken from the inside to the out and, you know, so, it wasn’t a break in, it was a break out.”
Kara Swisher, the well-known tech journalist and opinion writer, blasted those who are ignoring the clear video evidence (not to mention the massive reporting) of the attack.
“All those who trafficked in homophobic conspiracy nonsense about this,” she wrote Friday on Twitter, “such as the owner of this increasingly shitty platform, should be ashamed,” Swisher said, referring to Elon Musk.
“They won’t be, but they are heinous & utterly lost,” she added, linking to a Washington Post article titled, “Judge releases evidence, video footage in attack on Pelosi.”
Indeed, two days after the attack, Elon Musk tweeted then later deleted the claim that “there is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story than meets the eye.” The Independent reported Musk, “attached a screenshot of a bogus report accusing Mr Pelosi of getting into a drunken fight with a male prostitute.”
Politico’s Sam Stein also highlighted Musk pushing the apparent falsehood: “The release of the Paul Pelosi video is a useful reminder that the owner of this here platform pushed conspiracy theories around the attack.”
Entrepreneur and programmer William LeGate, who won a Thiel fellowship at the age of 18, on Friday tweeted: “Now that the Paul Pelosi surveillance footage & 911 call have been made public, it’s time homophobic bigots like Elon Musk, Tucker Carlon, & the like to issue a public apology for spreading the ‘lover’s quarrel’ conspiracy theory.”
MSNBC executive producer Kyle Griffin made remarks similar to Swisher’s: “A lot of conservatives spread disgusting, nonsensical conspiracies about the Paul Pelosi attack — including Elon Musk. Some are still spreading them. Those people should be ashamed.”
Republican former U.S. Congressman Adam Kinzinger, linking to a Politico report on the release of the video, said, “Can we please dig up every persons tweet who made fun of this or cast doubt? This was a sick attack and politicians minimizing it suck.”
Salon’s Amanda Marcotte defended the release of the video with this explanation: “Seeing folks question why it was necessary to release the footage of the attack on Paul Pelosi, which is incredibly violent and disturbing. Well, a big reason is Republicans have treated the attempted murder as a joke.”
She linked to an article she wrote in early November titled, “After the Pelosi attack, Republicans have quit pretending they oppose political violence.”
Journalist and SiriusXM host Michelangelo Signorile also went after Republicans.
“The Paul Pelosi video — and the surveillance video — show the danger and brutality of the attacker,” he tweeted. “Every Republican who mocked this attack is filled with nothing but hate and bile.”
NCRM is embedding the video below, from The Associated Press. We caution watching the brutal video, which is longer than many others and includes the actual attack and the moments after. Again, we urge caution.
Body camera footage shows Paul Pelosi, former U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband, fighting his assailant during an attack in the couple's San Francisco home last year. pic.twitter.com/yVPnGDJtsC
— The Associated Press (@AP) January 27, 2023
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM2 days ago
Bombshell NYT Report Reveals Bill Barr’s Special Counsel Opened ‘Secret’ Financial Crimes Probe Into Trump But Never Prosecuted
- MELTDOWN2 days ago
Republicans Claiming ‘Censorship’ Threaten to Haul AT&T and DirecTV Into Congress for Dropping Far-Right Newsmax
- News3 days ago
Marjorie Taylor Greene’s ‘Whole Vision’ Is to Be Trump’s Vice President: Report
- 'GASLIGHTING'22 hours ago
‘Deliberately Deceived the Nation’: Legal Experts Stunned by ‘Jaw-Dropping’ Report on How Barr and Durham Protected Trump
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM3 days ago
‘X-Rated’: Christian Nationalist Mastriano Promises Bill to Ban Public Drag Shows After High School’s ‘Queer Prom’
- News1 day ago
Questions Raised About Another Freshman Republican’s Finances After He Refuses to Comply With Federal Law
- BREAKING NEWS2 days ago
Watch: Santos Responds to Report He Joked About Hitler, ‘The Jews’ and Black People
- RIGHT WING EXTREMISM2 days ago
‘Moral Turpitude’: Trump Coup Memo Author John Eastman Now Facing 11 Counts of Alleged Ethics Violations – and Disbarment