‘Massive Omnibus Blocking Permit’ Is an “Illegal Abridgment of First Amendment Rights’ Says Civil Rights Attorney
Plans for several large protests in Washington, D.C. theÂ weeks before, during, and after the inauguration will have to be canceled or moved out of historically important parts of the city. The Presidential Inauguration Committee which Donald Trump nowÂ controls, has effectively arranged to ban protests and large gatherings in key and historically important demonstration areas in the nation’s capital.
In a reportedly unprecedentedÂ move, the Presidential Inauguration Committee, via the National Park Service, last year, before Trump was the nominee, filed for and received permits shutting down areas like the National Mall, which is the site of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech and the culmination of theÂ March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Also closed off will be surrounding areas ofÂ Pennsylvania Avenue, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial.
â€” Perry Stein (@PerryStein) December 9, 2016
It’s unclear why theÂ Presidential Inauguration Committee took such extraordinary steps, and why so early, but since the Committee is now run by Donald Trump’s appointees, they have the power to roll back what are effectively bans on First Amendment free speech.Â
TheÂ National Park ServiceÂ “filed a ‘massive omnibus blocking permit’ for many of Washington DCâ€™s most famous political locations,” The Guardian reports, “for days and weeks before and after the inauguration on 20 January,” according to Mara Verheyden-Hilliard, a constitutional rights litigator and the executive director of the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund.
Verheyden-Hilliard calls the move “extremely unique,” and an “illegal abridgment of first amendment rights,”Â telling The Guardian,Â â€œWhat theyâ€™ve done is take all of these spaces out of action.â€ She made her remarks during a press conference by the ANSWERÂ [Act Now to Stop War and End Racism] Coalition.
A National Parks Service spokesman says these key spots are “construction zones, effectively” now.
“Inauguration bleachers and viewing stands started being erected on 1 November and it will take until 1 March to completely clear the major public spaces from all of the inauguration works, said Mike Litterst, spokesman for the NPS,”Â The Guardian reports.
“About 20 groups,” The Washington PostÂ reports, “including the Womenâ€™s March on Washington, Peopleâ€™s Action and the ANSWER Coalition â€” have applied to demonstrate on federal property around the Jan. 20 event.”
But the National Park Service, which handles the permitting, said it does not grant any requests until the Presidential Inaugural Committee, which plans the parade and other events to usher in a new president, maps out where it wants to hold inauguration-related activities.
Already affected, the Womenâ€™s March on Washington scheduled for the Lincoln Memorial the day after the inauguration, and a protest organized by ANSWER, scheduled for Inauguration DayÂ at Freedom Plaza. 138,000 people have signed up to attend the Women’s March.
Some responses via Twitter:Â
â€” Debra Messing (@DebraMessing) December 9, 2016
This is honestly the most chilling thing I’ve seen from him yet. It is the beginning of totalitarianism. https://t.co/o7G9gzG9Cn
â€” Karoli (@Karoli) December 9, 2016
This is some Putin shit. And if Trump doesn’t want to hear any protests, he’ll need an “omnibus blocking permit” that encircles the Earth. https://t.co/8ISiurAgy0
â€” SPOON (@spoontheband) December 9, 2016
It’s not just about this Women’s March, it’s an omnibus blocking ban that is just the beginning of curbing dissent. No one seems to care.
â€” Kristin Rawls (@kristinrawls) December 9, 2016
Read the words â€œmassive omnibus blocking permit,â€ issued to prevent anti-Trump protests, & try not to think of 1984: https://t.co/ObbMWwMkNN
â€” marksorkin (@marksorkin) December 9, 2016
#omnibus blocking permit. Sounds Orwellian, like many things do these days.
â€” Siobhan Millen (@SiobhanMillen) December 9, 2016
â€” Cornelia (@PaladinCornelia) December 9, 2016
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.
NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
‘Superficial’: Trump Mocked for Finally Releasing ‘Health Care Plan’ – Which Is Really a ‘Toothless’ Executive Order
For at least four years President Donald Trump has been promising the American people a health care plan. He famously sat for the “60 Minutes” cameras just days after the 2016 election and said, “this is what I do I do a good job I mean I know how to do this stuff.”
He promised his new health care plan would protect the millions of Americans with pre-existing conditions and would be “great health care for much less money.”
After years of promises Trump on Thursday unveiled his “health care plan.”
He’s calling it his “health care vision” because it’s not an actual plan, it’s a wish list.
And it’s a mere executive order.
“The actual policies,” Stat News reports, “however, are simple, superficial, and non-binding executive orders. Neither will improve the quality of Americans’ health care or lower its cost.
The Daily Beast’s Sam Stein reports HHS Sec. Alex Azar earlier in the day was forced to admit “Trump’s forthcoming executive order on preexisting conditions will not carry weight of actual law should SCOTUS strike down the ACA [Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act.] Said it is a ‘defined statement of U.S. policy that people with preexisting conditions are protected.'”
Here’s how Stein sums up Trump’s big reveal:
In other words, the big health care plan that Trump has been saying is two weeks away for several months now is a statement of poll tested priorities that either are current law that he’s trying to erase or toothless unless done through legislation.
— Sam Stein (@samstein) September 24, 2020
Here’s MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle:
Get ready for this executive order…
Sources expecting @realDonaldTrump announce, that to fix surprise insurance denials…from now on hospitals and drs have to take whatever the insurers want to pay them.
It will collapse any quality practice &be the end of independent drs.
— Stephanie Ruhle (@SRuhle) September 24, 2020
Stein is far from alone in mocking Trump’s “plan.”
Here’s how Buzzfeed sums it up:
President Trump Finally Laid Out His Health Care Plan. It Doesn’t Do Anything. https://t.co/8tX8oKc4Vi
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) September 24, 2020
Here’s a health care policy reporter from medical new site Stat News:
Unless I’m missing something, the Trump admin just rolled out its long-awaited health care plan, which entails:
-A plan to work with Congress on banning surprise billing
-A declaration that insurers can’t discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions
That was it!
— Lev Facher (@levfacher) September 24, 2020
Trump is now claiming he has a “healthcare plan” that would “protect patients with preexisting conditions” but he’s currently in court right now trying to undo Obamacare’s protections for people with… preexisting conditions. https://t.co/tGbcJkDOhZ pic.twitter.com/dlw8Z3Ljgp
— The American Independent (@AmerIndependent) September 24, 2020
so the main pillar of Trump’s health care plan is to co-opt the central plank of Obamacare while calling Obamacare socialism and simultaneously seeking to overturn the policy in a lawsuit that’s likely to succeed because of his Supreme Court appointments? https://t.co/K79blhE4e3
— insidevoices (@garyrobertscott) September 24, 2020
4 years of lying to cancer patients is what he has https://t.co/StMPtgA3Am
— LOLGOP (@LOLGOP) September 24, 2020
-Fact Trump has been President for 3 1/2 years, 2 of which he had GOP Majority in the House & Senate, no Health Care laws were passed.
*But I’m sure his plan will be out in 2 weeks.
— Tgage (@tgagemurphy) September 24, 2020
What a joke. It appears that they put a large law-sized book on the table next to Trump during the signing of his fake health care EO so it appeared that he was actually doing something substantial. He’s not. His only plan is to destroy the ACA. pic.twitter.com/lSQUWGukOg
— Josh Dorner (@JoshDorner) September 24, 2020
This is not happening. Just like there is no health care plan coming on October 5th and no vaccine coming in November. You and the gop are throwing out whatever distractions you can to try and gaslight the American people. It isn’t going to work.
— Fourteenstories (@TrumpMustGo9) September 24, 2020
This is essentially Trumps ‘throwing of the health care paper towels’ to American citizens, like he did in Puerto Rico, who will soon have their healthcare stripped away in November. @PressSec
— RMJ (@RMJ_1986) September 24, 2020
And then this:
Reminder: Trump has no healthcare plan. Never has. Never will. pic.twitter.com/jQjfHFchU6
— MeidasTouch.com (@MeidasTouch) September 24, 2020
Trump Rages on Ballots: ‘I’m Not Sure’ the Election Can Be ‘Honest’
President Donald Trump is not backing down from his attempts to sow chaos into the minds of Americans just 40 days until the election. Now he says he’s “not sure” that the election can be “honest,” without providing any actual proof other than mischaracterized anecdotes.
After refusing to commit to a peaceful transfer of power on Wednesday Trump was asked Thursday afternoon if the election results are only legitimate if he wins.
“So, we have to be very careful with the ballots – the ballots that’s a whole big scam,” Trump said from the South Lawn of the White House.
“You know they found I understand eight ballots in a wastepaper basket in some location, they found it was reported in one of the newspapers that they found a lot of ballots in a river. They throw them out if they have the name ‘Trump’ on it I guess,” the President falsely claimed. A reporter immediately corrected him, saying there were no names on the ballots.
“Okay, well they still found them in a river whether they had a name on it or not but the other ones had the Trump name on it. And they were thrown into a wastepaper basket.
NCRM could find no reports of ballots being found in a river.
“We want to make sure the election is honest and I’m not sure that it can be. I don’t, I don’t know that it can be, with this whole situation – unsolicited ballots they’re unsolicited, millions being sent to everybody and we’ll see but if you remember Hillary Clinton just a week ago or so told Joe Biden do not accept the results of the election under any circumstances. But you don’t ask her that question you only asked me the question.”
It’s been almost exactly four years since Trump won the election and beat Hillary Clinton but he still talks about her.
Q: “Are the election results only legitimate if you win?
President Trump: “We want to make sure the election is honest and I’m not sure that it can be…” pic.twitter.com/5MQbfqCeEV
— CSPAN (@cspan) September 24, 2020
‘Deranged’: McEnany Slams Dems and Attacks Reporter Who Asked if Trump Would Commit to Peaceful Transition of Power
White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany is attacking the veteran journalist who asked President Donald Trump on Wednesday if he would commit to a peaceful transition of power and accepting the results of the November election.
After pretending she wasn’t familiar with the question from Brian Karem or President Donald Trump’s bombshell answer – he refused to commit to a peaceful transition, thus the effectively threatening a violent coup – McEnany referred to Brian Karem as a “Playboy reporter” and called his question “deranged.”
She repeatedly called him that “Playboy reporter” – he is a respected White House correspondent for Playboy and is also a CNN political analyst.
McEnany then attacked Democrats, saying they are the ones who should be asked to accept the election results after expressing valid concerns about Trump’s intentions.
McEnany’s response was unprofessional given President Trump for years has suggested he would not support a peaceful transition of power.
“The president will accept the results of a free and fair election. But I think that your question is more fitting to be asked of Democrats,” Kayleigh McEnany tells @jonkarl when asked about Trump declining to commit to a peaceful transfer of power. https://t.co/mRWa6yO6vC pic.twitter.com/TV7CwdBqdn
— ABC News (@ABC) September 24, 2020
- TALK ABOUT RIGGED2 days ago
Pence Suggests Unnamed Trump SCOTUS Nominee Should Skip Committee and Just Be Confirmed Before ‘Election Issues’ Arise
- DONALD TRUMP IS A FASCIST18 hours ago
McConnell Responds to Trump Threat of Violence and Refusal to Commit to Peaceful Transition by Issuing a Tweet
- OPINION3 days ago
Fox News Anchor Hosting First Presidential Debate Picks Trump Campaign Talking Points as Topics
- RELIGIOUS EXTREMISM2 days ago
Barr to Be Honored for ‘Christlike Behavior’ Today With Award From Right Wing Catholic Group With Strong Ties to Trump
- CRIME3 days ago
Manhattan Prosecutors File Brief Suggesting Trump Is Facing a ‘Criminal Tax Fraud’ Investigation
- News3 days ago
Romney’s ‘Pathetically Weasel-Worded’ Defense of His Vow to Vote for Trump SCOTUS Pick Mocked and Destroyed
- CRIME3 days ago
Secret CIA Report Reveals Putin ‘Probably’ Directing Russia’s Attack on Biden and US Election: WaPo
- SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE?2 days ago
‘Soldiers for Christ’: Trump Cabinet Bible Study Teacher Calls Elections a ‘Spiritual Battle’ That ‘Believers Will Win’