Connect with us

Senior Republican Party Officials Preparing To Replace Donald Trump Should He Quit Race

Published

on

Deeply Frustrated GOP Leadership Can’t Dump Trump but Are Working on Plan if He Exits

Sources inside the Republican National Committee have confirmed to The New Civil Rights Movement that senior party officials are preparing to set in motion the process to select a candidate to replace embattled GOP nominee Donald Trump.

One official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, acknowledged that the Party Leadership cannot force the New York businessman to quit. He noted, however, that given Trump’s refusal to endorse Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan as well as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and a general lack of support for other candidates in the GOP fold has angered party officials to the “point of no return.”

Trump has also lost any semblance of support by party stalwarts, the latest defection occurring Tuesday when Meg Whitman, Hewlett Packard CEO and a major Republican fundraiser, said she would support Secretary Hillary Clinton as well as give a “substantial” contribution to Clinton’s campaign in order to “stop Trump,” whom she sees as a “threat to American democracy.”

Trump’s bombastic style coupled with his gaffes on the campaign trail have further angered officials, the latest coming during a campaign rally at a high school in suburban Loudoun County, Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C. Tuesday, where he threw a crying baby and mother out of the rally.

Trump’s ongoing public battle with the parents of U.S. Army Captain Humayun Khan, a decorated Muslim-American killed in Iraq in 2004, who appeared at the Democratic Party National Convention last week and denounced Trump’s statements about their fellow Muslims, and questioned his knowledge of the U.S. Constitution has also angered senior Republicans who have publicly distanced themselves from his remarks.       

U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told reporters, “This is going to a place where we’ve never gone before, to push back against the families of the fallen. There used to be some things that were sacred in American politics — that you don’t do — like criticizing the parents of a fallen soldier even if they criticize you.”

The DNC speech made by Khan’s father Khizr paid homage to his son and a criticized Trump’s statements that he wanted to bar non-American Muslims from entering the United States. Khizr Khan also took aim at the billionaire real estate mogul, saying that Trump did not understand that people of many backgrounds had given their lives in service of their nation.

“Have you ever been to Arlington Cemetery?” Khizr Khan asked. “You will see all faiths, genders, and ethnicities. You have sacrificed nothing. And no one.”

Trump later attacked Khan’s wife Ghazala by suggesting she was unable to speak due to her Muslim faith.

“If you look at his wife, she was standing there,” he told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos.“She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say. You tell me, but plenty of people have written that.”

Ghazala Khan later wrote in an editorial published by the Washington Post the morning after Trump’s comments to Stephanopoulos, that she did not speak because of the powerful emotion that the photo of her son, which was prominently displayed in the hall, evoked.      

Senior GOP leaders are also frustrated with Trump’s sometimes bizarre behavior as polling numbers show a narrower lead for the Democratic nominee, former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Republican Party Chair, Reince Priebus is angered at Trump’s disregard for the numerous requests by Priebus to change course drastically and to watch the tenor of his public utterances.

On Wednesday, ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jon Karl, speaking about Republican leaders behind the scenes examining party rules and maneuvering to prepare to replace Trump, told George Stephanopoulos that Trump “is so unpredictable right now, they are so unable to control his message, that they just don’t know and clearly think it is a possibility, which is why they’re looking at these rules,” Karl said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2naZyDOZZA

“I have to say the frustration is especially deep because they believe that Hillary Clinton looks vulnerable,” Karl said, “and had a bad few days, the DNC has gone through a whole shake-up.”

“She misstated what that director said about her emails. One top official told me if Trump had gone on vacation for the past two weeks, he would be in the lead. But, yes, he can still raise money and still has support among the Republican rank-and-file.” 

Karl added that the Republican Party could not force Trump out of the race now that he’s their nominee, but he might solve their problem by dropping out. 

“He would have to go out voluntarily, then it would be the 168 members of the RNC, through a complicated process, that would pick a new candidate,” Karl said. “It would have to happen by early September.”

EARLIER:

Republican Meg Whitman: Trump Is a ‘Dishonest Demagogue,’ I’m Supporting Hillary Clinton

‘Staff Suicidal’: Is Donald About to Implode? Reporters Reveal Chaos, Crisis Inside Trump Camp

Purple Heart Recipients Slam Trump: “No One Should Ever ‘Want’ to Get One of These”

 

Image by Disney | ABC Television Group via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

Highland Park Shooting Deaths Include Both Parents of Two Year Old Found at Scene of July 4th Massacre

Published

on

On Twitter Sunday afternoon in the aftermath of the July 4th Highland Park mass shooting a photo of a young boy appeared in several tweets. He was described as lost, good samaritans assumed he had become separated from his parents in the mayhem of the massacre, and people were trying to reunite him with his family.

CBS Chicago reporter Marissa Parra now reveals the boy’s name is Aiden, but he won’t be reunited with his parents: both were shot dead by the Highland Park gunman.

“Kevin McCarthy, 37, and Irina McCarthy, 35, were among the seven people [who] were killed during the mass shooting,” CBS Chicago reports.

“We took him to safety under tragic circumstances, came together to locate his grandparents, and prayed for the safety of his family,” reads the story on a GoFundMe page hoping to raise money for Aiden.

“Sadly, I need to share his name…Aiden McCarthy. And he needs more of our help,” it adds. “At two years old, Aiden is left in the unthinkable position; to grow up without his parents,” it adds. “Aiden will be cared for by his loving grandparents, Misha and Nina Levberg, and he will have a long road ahead to heal, find stability, and ultimately navigate life as an orphan. He is surrounded by a community of friends and extended family that will embrace him with love, and any means available to ensure he has everything he needs as he grows.”

About $475,000 has quickly been raised with more than 7600 people contributing. The top donation is $5000.

Continue Reading

RIGHT WING EXTREMISM

‘Invasion’: Texas Lt. Gov. Likens Border Crossings to Attack on Pearl Harbor – ‘These People Are a Danger to America’

Published

on

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, a far-right Republican, is comparing migrants crossing the border into Texas to Japan’s 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor that killed 2335 people. He is calling it an “invasion” and says that gives the state the right to “put hands on people.”

Patrick, who because of Texas’ unique structure is more powerful than the governor, told Fox News on Tuesday, “we are being invaded, and if we’re being invaded under the constitution I think that gives us the power to put hands on people and send them back. Put hands on people and send them back,” he said repeatedly.

“These people are a danger to America,” Patrick said in a rant. It was unclear if he was referring to migrants or President Joe Biden and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

The Lt. Governor, who has hawked the racist “great replacement theoryrepeatedly, and used the term “invasionrepeatedly, told Fox News that Texas is now spending $4 billion annually on the border, while Texas National Guardsmen and Texas Rangers complain of being called up to serve, having to abandon their regular jobs, for no apparent reason.

RELATED: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick Blames ‘Video Game Industry’ for El Paso White Supremacist Terrorism: ‘We’ve Always Had Guns’

“This is the biggest danger we have, to your family,” Patrick says of the fentanyl crossing the border. “It’s all on Biden,” he claimed.

Last week Texas Governor Greg Abbott drew extensive criticism for using the deaths of more than 50 migrants packed into an 18-wheel tractor-trailer as a political opportunity to attack President Biden. Even some conservatives attacked Abbott for his inhumane remarks..

 

 

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

7th Victim of July 4th Mass Shooting Dies

Published

on

Seven people have now died as a result of a gunman opening fire from a rooftop into an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, Illinois.

The latest victim succumbed to their injuries Tuesday afternoon, NBC 5 Chicago reported. Authorities have not identified all the victims, but have said five of those who died were adults. Another 46 people were wounded.

Police on Tuesday announced that the shooter fired at least 70 rounds into the crowd, using a “high-powered rifle” that is “similar” to a AR-15. They also revealed the suspected gunman planned the attack for weeks, purchased his weapons legally, disguised himself by wearing women’s attire to “conceal his facial tattoos and  his identity,” and to “help him during the escape.” He then walked to his mother’s house after the shooting.

Law enforcement Monday evening arrested Robert Crimo, who they say is a “person of interest,” but he has not been charged.

“There are no words for the kind of monster who lies in wait and fires into a crowd of families with children celebrating a holiday with their community,” Illinois Democratic Governor J.B. Pritzker said in a statement. “There are no words for the kind of evil that robs our neighbors of their hopes, their dreams, their futures. There are no words I can offer to lift the pain of those they leave behind. Please know that our state grieves with you, that MK and I grieve with you.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.