Connect with us

National Organization for Marriage’s ‘March for Marriage’ in DC Is a Total Dud

Published

on

‘Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came?’

The National Organization For Marriage’s annual March for Marriage in Washington, D.C. is just about wrapping up now, and by all accounts it is a total disaster. Right now the procession is heading toward the U.S. Supreme Court, which is amusing since the justices already gave NOM their answer 364 days ago.

ThinkProgress editor Zack Ford has been live-tweeting from the green in Washington, D.C., and says , a reporter for the far-right wing CNS News counted a total of 237 people having attended. Including reporters and speakers.

There are also some folks showing support for marriage equality and the LGBT community:

NOM President Brian Brown posted this Periscope video:

Clearly attendance was dismal, as was the rhetoric:

NOM cannot blame rain, since it’s a beautiful day in DC today. They can look at their poor social media skills, perhaps. They have not even posted about their own march on Facebook or Twitter since Wednesday, or on their own blog since Tuesday. And they actually have a company that handles that for them, Opus Fidelis.

In years past NOM was at least able to secure a few big names in politics, like Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum. That does not seem to have happened today. Not a single speaker was listed on their March for Marriage website.

If NOM represented an actual cause that people believed in, they would be growing in numbers, not shrinking. Founded in 2007, they’ve had nine years to perfect their strategies, fundraising, and events. And yet, they have accomplished little to nothing certainly nothing permanent, and their fundraising is embarrassing, as was this failed March for Marriage.

Will NOM even exist one year from now?

 

Image by Zack Ford via Twitter

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

NYT Bombshell: Trump Tried to Oust Acting AG to Overturn Election Results – Only Threat of Group Resignations Stopped Him

Published

on

Only days after Donald Trump returned to private life, The New York Times published a blockbuster new story on his efforts to overturn the election.

“The Justice Department’s top leaders listened in stunned silence this month: One of their peers, they were told, had devised a plan with President Donald J. Trump to oust Jeffrey A. Rosen as acting attorney general and wield the department’s power to force Georgia state lawmakers to overturn its presidential election results,” The New York Times reported Friday evening.

“The unassuming lawyer who worked on the plan, Jeffrey Clark, had been devising ways to cast doubt on the election results and to bolster Mr. Trump’s continuing legal battles and the pressure on Georgia politicians. Because Mr. Rosen had refused the president’s entreaties to carry out those plans, Mr. Trump was about to decide whether to fire Mr. Rosen and replace him with Mr. Clark,” the newspaper reported. “The department officials, convened on a conference call, then asked each other: What will you do if Mr. Rosen is dismissed? The answer was unanimous. They would resign.”

“Their informal pact ultimately helped persuade Mr. Trump to keep Mr. Rosen in place, calculating that a furor over mass resignations at the top of the Justice Department would eclipse any attention on his baseless accusations of voter fraud. Mr. Trump’s decision came only after Mr. Rosen and Mr. Clark made their competing cases to him in a bizarre White House meeting that two officials compared with an episode of Mr. Trump’s reality show “The Apprentice,” albeit one that could prompt a constitutional crisis,” the newspaper explained.

The bombshell report was “based on interviews with four former Trump administration officials who asked not to be named because of fear of retaliation.”

Read the full report.

 

Continue Reading

News

Mark Your Calendar: Schumer Releases Trump Impeachment Schedule

Published

on

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has just released the schedule for the second impeachment trial of Donald Trump.

The Article of Impeachment will be transmitted by Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Monday. That week will focus on the administrative elements of the trial.

The following week, starting February 8, the actual impeachment trial will begin.

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had requested a two-week delay, but Schumer and Pelosi did not grant his wish.

CNN’s Jeremy Herb posted the document:

This is a breaking news and developing story. 

Continue Reading

News

‘Seditious Conspiracy’: Ethics Complaint Filed Against Rep. Madison Cawthorn, Other GOPers Over Capitol Coup

Published

on

An ethics complaint has been filed against three Republican members of Congress over their participation in events that led to the violent and deadly January 6 attempted coup at the U.S. Capitol.

Reps. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina, and Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs of Arizona are accused of “a seditious conspiracy to use force to prevent Congress from carrying out its constitutional and statutory duties to count the votes of the Electoral College,” by the Campaign for Accountability, a government ethics watchdog founded by two former members of CREW.

If the House Ethics Office finds any or all of the three Republicans violated federal law, the group is asking for them to be expelled.

Cawthorn spoke at President Trump’s January 6 rally (photo), barely hours before the armed insurrection.

“This crowd has some fight in it,” Cawthorn told Trump’s MAGA supporters. “The Democrats, with all the fraud they have done in this election, the Republicans hiding and not fighting, they are trying to silence your voice. Make no mistake about it, they do not want you to be heard.”

North Carolina’s WLOS reports that “despite his tweets urging ‘millions of patriotic Americans stand for their country,’ Cawthorn said he felt no culpability in what unfolded” the day of the attempted coup.

“I don’t feel I had any responsibility for them attacking the Capitol,” Cawthorn said.

Two days before the domestic terror attack he posted this:

Gosar and Biggs also bear significant responsibility, according to the lead organizer.

“Far-right activist Ali Alexander, who helped rally Trump’s supporters ahead of Congress’ electoral count, has claimed he planned a rally that preceded the riot with the support of Gosar and Biggs,” The Hill reports, citing an article in The Washington Post.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.