Connect with us

LOOK: George W. Bush Just Sent a Letter of Support to an Infamous Anti-Gay Hate Group

Published

on

Former US President Brags He ‘Took Steps to Preserve the Sanctity of Marriage’

President George W. Bush has written and sent a “welcome message” to be delivered to the delegates of the World Congress of Families conference at the anti-gay hate group’s opening ceremony on May 16. The WCF has managed to operate mostly under the radar, seeking to quietly manipulate foreign governments’ policies in favor of anti-gay hate. This year’s conference will be held in the country of Georgia.

“Around the world, families provide that beacon of freedom and the source of help, hope, and stability for individuals and nations,” the Republican former President said in the statement that will be given to each attendee Monday. “As one of the pillars of civilization and the bulwark of liberty, families must remain strong and we must defend them.”

Bush then bragged that to “ensure that future generations are prepared to face new opportunities and challenges, as President, I took steps to promote strong families, preserve the sanctity of marriage and protect the well-being of children.” By “sanctity of marriage” he means one-man, one-woman marriages only. Remember, Bush spent $500 million on a failed marriage preservation program.

The World Congress of Families appears on the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of active anti-gay hate groups, along with its big-money founder, the Howard Center for Family Religion and Society. National Organization For Marriage (NOM) President Brian Brown, Janice Shaw Crouse of Concerned Women for America are among its active Board of Directors members. Dallin Oaks, head of the Mormon Church, is an honorary Board member. 

The SPLC, in a report notes that the World Congress of Families (WCF) is “one of the key driving forces behind the U.S. religious right’s global export of homophobia and sexism,” and say it “pursues an international anti-choice, anti-LGBT agenda, seeking to promote conservative ideologies — and codify these in regressive laws and policies — that dictate who has rights as “family,” and who doesn’t.”

How extreme are they?

In 2014 the WCF held their annual conference in Moscow, at the Kremlin. Vladimir Putin was on hand for part of it. NOM’s Brian Brown told attendees, “Russia is the hope for the world right now.” Allies of Putin – whose anti-gay laws have led to sanctioned and increased rates of violence against LGBT people – funded the event.

At last year’s conference, disgraced anti-gay researcher Mark Regnerus was asked if he would support a policy of cutting welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, or Medicare from single parents, including unwed mothers, in an effort to force them to marry. He said yes. 

At that same conference, in Salt Lake City, Rafael Cruz – Ted Cruz’s father – was filmed casually speaking with attendees, warning that what LGBT people “are going to push is to try to legalize pedophilia.”

The former President’s message concludes, “I commend your efforts to recognize the importance of families in building nations. Your work improves many lives and makes the world better.” 

Here’s the letter:

Message-From-President-Bush-for-World-Congress-of-Families-in-Tbilisi-Georgia.jpg 

 

Image of Pres. Bush by The Bush Center via Flickr and a CC license
Letter via World Congress of Families

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

Highland Park Shooting Deaths Include Both Parents of Two Year Old Found at Scene of July 4th Massacre

Published

on

On Twitter Sunday afternoon in the aftermath of the July 4th Highland Park mass shooting a photo of a young boy appeared in several tweets. He was described as lost, good samaritans assumed he had become separated from his parents in the mayhem of the massacre, and people were trying to reunite him with his family.

CBS Chicago reporter Marissa Parra now reveals the boy’s name is Aiden, but he won’t be reunited with his parents: both were shot dead by the Highland Park gunman.

“Kevin McCarthy, 37, and Irina McCarthy, 35, were among the seven people [who] were killed during the mass shooting,” CBS Chicago reports.

“We took him to safety under tragic circumstances, came together to locate his grandparents, and prayed for the safety of his family,” reads the story on a GoFundMe page hoping to raise money for Aiden.

“Sadly, I need to share his name…Aiden McCarthy. And he needs more of our help,” it adds. “At two years old, Aiden is left in the unthinkable position; to grow up without his parents,” it adds. “Aiden will be cared for by his loving grandparents, Misha and Nina Levberg, and he will have a long road ahead to heal, find stability, and ultimately navigate life as an orphan. He is surrounded by a community of friends and extended family that will embrace him with love, and any means available to ensure he has everything he needs as he grows.”

About $475,000 has quickly been raised with more than 7600 people contributing. The top donation is $5000.

Continue Reading

RIGHT WING EXTREMISM

‘Invasion’: Texas Lt. Gov. Likens Border Crossings to Attack on Pearl Harbor – ‘These People Are a Danger to America’

Published

on

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, a far-right Republican, is comparing migrants crossing the border into Texas to Japan’s 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor that killed 2335 people. He is calling it an “invasion” and says that gives the state the right to “put hands on people.”

Patrick, who because of Texas’ unique structure is more powerful than the governor, told Fox News on Tuesday, “we are being invaded, and if we’re being invaded under the constitution I think that gives us the power to put hands on people and send them back. Put hands on people and send them back,” he said repeatedly.

“These people are a danger to America,” Patrick said in a rant. It was unclear if he was referring to migrants or President Joe Biden and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

The Lt. Governor, who has hawked the racist “great replacement theoryrepeatedly, and used the term “invasionrepeatedly, told Fox News that Texas is now spending $4 billion annually on the border, while Texas National Guardsmen and Texas Rangers complain of being called up to serve, having to abandon their regular jobs, for no apparent reason.

RELATED: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick Blames ‘Video Game Industry’ for El Paso White Supremacist Terrorism: ‘We’ve Always Had Guns’

“This is the biggest danger we have, to your family,” Patrick says of the fentanyl crossing the border. “It’s all on Biden,” he claimed.

Last week Texas Governor Greg Abbott drew extensive criticism for using the deaths of more than 50 migrants packed into an 18-wheel tractor-trailer as a political opportunity to attack President Biden. Even some conservatives attacked Abbott for his inhumane remarks..

 

 

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

7th Victim of July 4th Mass Shooting Dies

Published

on

Seven people have now died as a result of a gunman opening fire from a rooftop into an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, Illinois.

The latest victim succumbed to their injuries Tuesday afternoon, NBC 5 Chicago reported. Authorities have not identified all the victims, but have said five of those who died were adults. Another 46 people were wounded.

Police on Tuesday announced that the shooter fired at least 70 rounds into the crowd, using a “high-powered rifle” that is “similar” to a AR-15. They also revealed the suspected gunman planned the attack for weeks, purchased his weapons legally, disguised himself by wearing women’s attire to “conceal his facial tattoos and  his identity,” and to “help him during the escape.” He then walked to his mother’s house after the shooting.

Law enforcement Monday evening arrested Robert Crimo, who they say is a “person of interest,” but he has not been charged.

“There are no words for the kind of monster who lies in wait and fires into a crowd of families with children celebrating a holiday with their community,” Illinois Democratic Governor J.B. Pritzker said in a statement. “There are no words for the kind of evil that robs our neighbors of their hopes, their dreams, their futures. There are no words I can offer to lift the pain of those they leave behind. Please know that our state grieves with you, that MK and I grieve with you.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.