Connect with us

13 Conventions Have Canceled or Decided Against North Carolina Because of Anti-LGBT Law HB2

Published

on

Anti-LGBT Law Inflicting Serious Economic Damage on North Carolina

The image at the top from the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority shows just how much tourism adds to the local economy. A lot. But since Governor Pat McCrory signed HB2, an anti-LGBT bill, into law last month, well over 1000 jobs have been moved out of state, and well over 100 companies have expressed concern or anger, warning they may move or cancel plans to expand, costing the state millions of dollars.

Sadly for the good people of North Carolina, it just got worse.

The Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority (CRVA) says that the city has lost 13 conventions – four definite cancellations, another nine more “lost possibilities” – because of HB2, according to local NBC affiliate WNCN. HB2 is the expansive anti-LGBT law Republicans forced through the General Assembly and Gov. McCrory signed in the space of 12 hours. 

Not only have 13 conventions decided against coming to Charlotte, but “there are at least 29 groups who say they are hesitant or concerned to bring their events and/or organizations,” the CRVA says.

WNCN’s Xavier Walton offered details on Twitter.

He calculates a total potential loss of $8.9 million in hotel room bookings alone. That does not include meals, transportation, shopping, sightseeing, etc. 

It’s clear HB2 is costing taxpayers literally millions of dollars.

Also announced today, Bruce Springsteen just canceled his show scheduled for Sunday in Greensboro, North Carolina, citing HB2 as the direct cause. “It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards,” he said.

And Paypal earlier this week announced it is canceling a $3.6 million expansion that would have created 400 new jobs. Red Ventures, a North Carolina based internet marketing company also announced it is reconsidering an expansion that would have added 500 jobs. 

TV studio Lionsgate canceled shooting a new Hulu comedy in North Carolina, citing HB2. That’s 100 jobs that went to Canada, not the Tar Heel State.

The list goes on and on.

“We have not taken away any rights that have currently existed in any city in North Carolina,” Gov. McCrory claimed, defending HB2. That’s false. He’s claimed HB2 is just good “common sense.” Voters in November will get to decide.

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

Cuomo Charged With Sex Crime Months After Resigning as Governor

Published

on

Former New York governor Andrew Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanor sex crime, NBC News reports.

The former governor who resigned after multiple accusations of sexual harassment resigned, leaving office August 23.

“Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanor complaint in Albany City Court for a sex-crime related charge, a spokesperson for New York State courts tells NBC News,” according to NBC’s Tom Winter.

A investigation by New York Attorney General Letitia James found the Democratic governor had sexually harassed at least eleven women, most of them state employees.

 

This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change. 

Continue Reading

News

Meadows ‘Will Face Consequences’ for Stonewalling Jan. 6 Committee if He Does Not Comply With Subpoena: Report

Published

on

Could former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows face criminal contempt of Congress charges like Steve Bannon?

The House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack subpoenaed Meadows, a former GOP congressman, on September 23, over a month ago, and he has yet to comply.

“Our patience isn’t unlimited, and engagement needs to become cooperation very soon,” a Select Committee source told CNN. “As we’ve already made clear, anyone who tries to stonewall our effort will face the consequences.”

The committee sees Meadows, who has been by Trump’s side every step of the way even for months before exiting the House to join the Trump administration, as a “key witness.”

Jan. 6 Select Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS) is being patient but that appears to be waning thin.

“If and when the staff says to us it’s not going anywhere, there won’t be any hesitation on the part of the committee to make the referrals” for contempt of Congress he tells CNN.

CNN adds multiple sources have “indicated” Meadows has “been ‘engaging’ in negotiations over the terms of his turning over documents and appearing for a deposition.”

Earlier this week a bombshell Rolling Stone report citing two people involved with planning the January 6 pro-Trump rallies mentioned Meadows nine times, including calling him “someone who played a major role in the conversations surrounding the protests on Jan. 6.”

That report also says those sources describe Meadows “as having had an opportunity to prevent the violence” of January 6, and that “Meadows was 100 percent made aware of what was going on.”

 

 

Continue Reading

COMMENTARY

Rupert Murdoch Is a ‘Domestic Threat’ Says Never-Trumper Over Tucker Carlson’s Upcoming Jan. 6 Special

Published

on

Stuart Stevens is calling out News Corp founder and chief Rupert Murdoch as a “domestic threat” in response to a stunning preview clip from Fox News’ top personality, Tucker Carlson, that falsely paints Donald Trump’s January 6 insurrection as a false flag operation by Democrats.

“If Rupert Murdoch were applying for American citizenship today, there would be ample evidence to classify him as a domestic threat and deny citizenship,” Stevens says of Murdoch, an Australian-born naturalized U.S. citizen. “He’s a dangerous man who should be treated as the anti-democratic propagandist he is.”

Stevens is known as one of the top Republican strategists who became a never-Trumper and co-founded The Lincoln Project. Murdoch owns News Corp, the parent company of Fox News, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Post, and numerous other outlets across the globe. He became a U.S. citizen in 1985 to meet the requirements to purchase and own TV stations.

The clip of Tucker Carlson’s three-part series on the January 6 insurrection (below) is being called “fucking insane” by fellow never-Trumper Tim Miller, a former GOP strategist.

“I’d like to focus in on the fact that Fox is hosting one of the main architects of the Stop The Steal insurrection Ali Akbar Alexander for this 1/6 special,” Miller adds. “Going full Newsmax.”

In a scathing strike against Carlson, former Obama HUD deputy assistant secretary Brandon Friedman compared the Fox News personality to a radio station known for helping to incite the Rwandan genocide in which more than one million people died and up to half a million women were raped.

Here’s the clip, which is loaded with falsehoods and anti-American, anti-democracy propaganda:

 

Image by Ben Terrett via Flickr and a CC license

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.