Connect with us

Mayor Says His Facebook Post Calling Obama A Muslim Who ‘Destroyed Democracy’ Is Just Free Speech

Published

on

Superior, Wisconsin’s mayor refuses to retract an anti-Obama statement he made on Facebook, citing his right to free speech. Some on the city council disagree.

Superior, Wisconsin Mayor Bruce Hagen posted a photo of First Lady Michelle Obama to his Facebook page, calling President Barack Obama a Muslim, and claiming he has destroyed democracy. Hagen did not offer any proof.

“Unbelievable!,” Hagen’s post, which is now hidden from public view, reads, according to WDIO/Eyewitness News. “She and her Muslim partner have destroyed the fabric of democracy that was so very hard fought for!”

The mayor refuses to retract the statement. WDIO reports Hagen “said he stands by the statement and said it was an expression of free speech.”

Five members of the Superior City Council disagree, and are publicly asking Hagen to remove the post.

“Quite simply, these are really inappropriate comments,” city council member Graham Garfield says. “How can we have a non-partisan elected mayor who has to work with elected officials, including the president’s office, making these comments?”

Garfield says he will ask the mayor to resign if he refuses to act.

But City Council President Tom Fennessey disagrees, saying the mayor’s comment is personal, despite that it was made on social media. He also says it has nothing to do with city business.

This is Hagen’s fifth term as mayor. The Duluth News Tribune in April reported that Hagen campaigned on “improvement of Superior’s image.”

 

Image: Screenshot via WDIO/Eyewitness News
Hat tip: Talking Points Memo

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

DONALD TRUMP IS A FASCIST

‘Superficial’: Trump Mocked for Finally Releasing ‘Health Care Plan’ – Which Is Really a ‘Toothless’ Executive Order

Published

on

Donald Trump, World Health Organization

For at least four years President Donald Trump has been promising the American people a health care plan. He famously sat for the “60 Minutes” cameras just days after the 2016 election and said, “this is what I do I do a good job I mean I know how to do this stuff.”

He promised his new health care plan would protect the millions of Americans with pre-existing conditions and would be “great health care for much less money.”

After years of promises Trump on Thursday unveiled his “health care plan.”

He’s calling it his “health care vision” because it’s not an actual plan, it’s a wish list.

And it’s a mere executive order.

“The actual policies,” Stat News reports, “however, are simple, superficial, and non-binding executive orders. Neither will improve the quality of Americans’ health care or lower its cost.

The Daily Beast’s Sam Stein reports HHS Sec. Alex Azar earlier in the day was forced to admit “Trump’s forthcoming executive order on preexisting conditions will not carry weight of actual law should SCOTUS strike down the ACA [Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act.] Said it is a ‘defined statement of U.S. policy that people with preexisting conditions are protected.'”

Here’s how Stein sums up Trump’s big reveal:

Here’s MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle:

Stein is far from alone in mocking Trump’s “plan.”

Here’s how Buzzfeed sums it up:

Here’s a health care policy reporter from medical new site Stat News:

More:

And then this:

 

Continue Reading

DONALD TRUMP IS A FASCIST

Trump Rages on Ballots: ‘I’m Not Sure’ the Election Can Be ‘Honest’

Published

on

President Donald Trump is not backing down from his attempts to sow chaos into the minds of Americans just 40 days until the election. Now he says he’s “not sure” that the election can be “honest,” without providing any actual proof other than mischaracterized anecdotes.

After refusing to commit to a peaceful transfer of power on Wednesday Trump was asked Thursday afternoon if the election results are only legitimate if he wins.

“So, we have to be very careful with the ballots – the ballots that’s a whole big scam,” Trump said from the South Lawn of the White House.

“You know they found I understand eight ballots in a wastepaper basket in some location, they found it was reported in one of the newspapers that they found a lot of ballots in a river. They throw them out if they have the name ‘Trump’ on it I guess,” the President falsely claimed. A reporter immediately corrected him, saying there were no names on the ballots.

“Okay, well they still found them in a river whether they had a name on it or not but the other ones had the Trump name on it. And they were thrown into a wastepaper basket.

NCRM could find no reports of ballots being found in a river.

Related –
‘Deranged’: McEnany Slams Dems and Attacks Reporter Who Asked if Trump Would Commit to Peaceful Transition of Power

“We want to make sure the election is honest and I’m not sure that it can be. I don’t, I don’t know that it can be, with this whole situation – unsolicited ballots they’re unsolicited, millions being sent to everybody and we’ll see but if you remember Hillary Clinton just a week ago or so told Joe Biden do not accept the results of the election under any circumstances. But you don’t ask her that question you only asked me the question.”

It’s been almost exactly four years since Trump won the election and beat Hillary Clinton but he still talks about her.

Watch:

Continue Reading

UNPROFESSIONAL

‘Deranged’: McEnany Slams Dems and Attacks Reporter Who Asked if Trump Would Commit to Peaceful Transition of Power

Published

on

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany is attacking the veteran journalist who asked President Donald Trump on Wednesday if he would commit to a peaceful transition of power and accepting the results of the November election.

After pretending she wasn’t familiar with the question from Brian Karem or President Donald Trump’s bombshell answer – he refused to commit to a peaceful transition, thus the effectively threatening a violent coup – McEnany referred to Brian Karem as a “Playboy reporter” and called his question “deranged.”

She repeatedly called him that “Playboy reporter” – he is a respected White House correspondent for Playboy and is also a CNN political analyst.

McEnany then attacked Democrats, saying they are the ones who should be asked to accept the election results after expressing valid concerns about Trump’s intentions.

McEnany’s response was unprofessional given President Trump for years has suggested he would not support a peaceful transition of power.

Watch:

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.