Connect with us

Anti-Islamic Group Clashes With KKK Over Gays And Guns

Published

on

‘It’s not like we’re racist, homophobic bigots,’ says a spokesman for gun-toting mosque protesters.

In a bizarre twist, a gun-toting hate group of anti-Islamists is refusing to partner with the Ku Klux Klan in part because the white supremacist organization is too homophobic. 

The Bureau on American Islamic Relations, a loosely-formed anti-Islamic organization, staged an armed rally outside a mosque in the Dallas suburb of Irving, Texas, on Nov. 21 — in the wake of the Paris terror attacks. 

Among those who attended the rally were two representatives from the Texas Rebel Knights, a KKK chapter, who reportedly were scouting the location for an upcoming protest of their own. But David Wright, a spokesman for the Bureau on American Islamic Relations, said his group declined to participate in the planned KKK rally.  

“It’s not like we’re racist, homophobic bigots,” Wright told The Dallas Morning News. “We just have a certain level of distrust for certain Islamic people.”

Wright added that his group is refusing to partner with KKK members — who now plan to don their trademark white hoods at an anti-Islamic rally outside Irving City Hall in May — because the Bureau on American Islamic Relations includes blacks, Hispanics and gays, according to the Morning News. 

Meanwhile, the “Imperial Wizard” of the KKK chapter is likewise disavowing the tactics of the Bureau on American Islamic Relations, whose members wielded long guns at last month’s rally — for self-defense and not intimidation, they claim.  

“We want a peaceful event. No weapons,” the anonymous Imperial Wizard said. 

The rift between the two hate groups highlights Irving’s — and more broadly Texas’ — emergence as an epicenter in the national debate over Islamic acceptance and admitting Syrian refugees to the US. 

Following the armed rally, the Bureau on American Islamic Relations posted on its Facebook page the names and addresses of local Muslims who spoke earlier this year against an anti-Islamic measure approved by the Irving City Council. The council, led by xenophobic Mayor Beth Van Duyne, voted to back a proposed state law banning “Shariah” courts. 

In September, Irving police arrested 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed, saying they thought a homemade clock the Muslim teen had brought to school was a hoax bomb. Mohamed’s family has since demanded $15 million in damages from the city and the school district.  

In the wake of last month’s armed rally, hundreds of counterprotesters gathered last weekend for a “Rally of Love” to show their support for the mosque, called the Islamic Center of Irving. The counterprotesters plan to return Dec. 12, the original date of the KKK rally that has since been rescheduled for May. Also on Dec. 12, the Bureau on American Islamic Relations plans an armed protest outside another mosque in nearby Richardson. 

On Wednesday, Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a tea partier, sued the federal government and a refugee resettlement group in an effort to block Syrian refugees from coming to the state. A family of Syrian refugees had been scheduled to arrive in Dallas on Friday, but was diverted to New York to await a judge’s initial ruling in the lawsuit. 

We’re assuming the Bureau on American Islamic Relations will also refuse to work with Paxton and other Texas Republicans given their extremist anti-gay views. 

 

Image: Screenshot via KDFW

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

News

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves Dismisses ‘Real Small, Minor Number’ of Rapes Requiring Abortions

Published

on

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves (R) declined to say on Sunday if he would sign a bill removing abortion exceptions for rape because they only represent a “real small, minor number” of cases.

During an interview on Fox News, host Mike Emmanuel asked Reeves if he would remove the abortion exceptions for rape in Mississippi.

Reeves sidestepped the question by insisting that the bill would never make it through the legislature.

“There’s a lot of effort, particularly in Washington and other places mainly by the Democrats, to try to talk only about the real small, minor number of exceptions that may exist,” he complained. “Over 90% of all abortions that are done in America, some 63 million babies aborted since Roe was wrongly decided in 1973, over 90% of those are elective abortions.”

Reeves argued that the “far-left” should not be talking about “all these exceptions and minor numbers.”

Watch the video below from Fox News.

 

Continue Reading

News

Trump Hinted Jan. 6 Would Be His ‘Last-Ditch’ Attempt to Overturn the Election Results: Filmmaker Alex Holder

Published

on

In an interview with the Guardian’s Hugo Lowell, a British documentary maker who was filming behind-the-scenes footage in Donald Trump’s White House on Jan 6th claimed he knew something bad was about to happen before supporters of the former president stormed the Capitol and sent lawmakers fleeing for their lives.

Alex Holder, whose film crew was on hand and filming Trump and his children Don Jr, Eric and Ivanka on Jan 6th, stated there was a feeling among his people that something momentous was about to happen.

According to Lowell, “Holder was there for it all: three sit-down interviews with Trump, including one at the White House, numerous other interviews with Trump’s adult children, private conversations among top aides and advisers before the election, and around the Capitol itself as it got stormed.” adding, “The access to Trump, and listening to him and his inner circle, led him to suspect that the former president’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election would somehow culminate in some event at the Capitol on 6 January.”

Asked about what his feeling was prior to the riot that engulfed the Capitol building, Holder explained, “I wasn’t 100% sure, but it was sort of a feeling, so we prepared for that thing to happen. The reason we thought January 6 was because, in Trump’s mind, the last-ditch effort was to stop the process” of the vote certification by Congress.

RELATED: Man behind J6 documentary needs ‘two armed guards’ due to Trump supporters’ threats: BBC

He elaborated, “That ceremonial process that takes place in Congress on January 6, he felt, was the last time where he could, in his mind, stop the election going to the wrong person, as it were. The rhetoric that was coming out was that the election was rigged, [that] we need to fight.”

According to the Guardian report, Holder has, “testified for about four hours behind closed doors last week about his roughly 100 hours of footage, used for an upcoming documentary titled Unprecedented, and turned over to House investigators the parts demanded in a subpoena compelling his cooperation.”

Lowell added, “Holder said he additionally did a one-to-one interview with then-vice president Mike Pence, including a scene where Pence briefly reviews an email about the 25th amendment – which concerns the removal of a US president – which was privately discussed among senior White House officials in the wake of the Capitol attack.”

You can read more here.

Continue Reading

News

Meadows Allegedly Behind Possible Attempt at Witness Intimidation of Cassidy Hutchinson: Reports

Published

on

Cassidy Hutchinson, the former aide and advisor to Trump White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, may be the victim of attempted witness intimidation, and the person who may have attempted to intimidate her may be her former boss.

The Guardian on Friday reports “Hutchinson received at least one message tacitly warning her not to cooperate with the House January 6 select committee from an associate of former chief of staff Mark Meadows.”

That message, according to both CNN and The Guardian, was delivered at the direction of Mark Meadows, according to sources both news outlets cite.

READ MORE: Secret Service Agents Confirm Details Hutchinson Shared About Trump Demanding to Be Taken to US Capitol Jan. 6

One of the messages that the U.S. House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack posted at the end of Hutchinson’s testimony read: “[A person] let me know you have your deposition tomorrow. He wants me to let you know that he’s thinking about you. He knows you’re loyal, and you’re going to do the right thing when you go in for your deposition.”

According to The Guardian, “The redaction was ‘Meadows,’ the sources said.”

READ MORE: Trump Declares Hutchinson ‘Totally Discredited’ as Former Aide Says Someone in His Orbit Tried to Influence Her Testimony

CNN similarly reports: “One of [the] people who may have been trying to influence Cassidy Hutchinson’s testimony did so at the behest of former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, according to multiple sources familiar with information gathered by the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, insurrection.”

Citing multiple sources CNN reports “the ‘person’ referred to in the message, which was redacted in the version projected on a screen during the hearing, was Meadows.”

Former FBI assistant director for counterintelligence Frank Figliuzzi Friday afternoon on MSNBC said there is “no question” that message constitutes “an attempt to intimidate a witness. No question about it,” he stressed.

“When you then add that to the fact that it appears that they provided, her initial attorney to her, Cassidy Hutchinson, you now have a without a doubt, predication to open a federal witness tampering investigation,” Figliuzzi added.

Thursday on Twitter Figliuzzi wrote: “This is witness tampering. Cassidy Hutchinson was the target. They picked the wrong young woman.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.