Connect with us

Fundraiser For Indiana Pizza Shop Owners Abruptly Ends After Reaching Nearly $850,000

Published

on

A viral fundraising campaign for an Indiana pizza shop whose owners said they could not cater a same-sex wedding if asked, has quickly ended after approaching one million dollars.

Just before Dana Loesch’s show on Glenn Beck’s The Blaze TV started on Wednesday, a staffer created a GoFundMe fundraising campaign for the family who owns Memories Pizza. That campaign was in response to attacks forcing the restaurant to close temporarily. Crystal O’Connor and her father Kevin O’Connor had been interviewed by a local Indiana TV news reporter who asked them how they felt about Governor Pence’s “religious freedom” law.

“If a gay couple came in and wanted us to provide pizzas for their wedding, we would have to say no,” Crystal O’Connor said. “We are a Christian establishment.”

That set off a firestorm the family says brought death threats. One high school coach was suspended for suggesting the restaurant be burned down, and the attacks on social media were often intense and graphic.

In just over 12 hours the fundraiser broke $55,000 in donations. It quickly went viral, with the help of Rush Limbaugh trumpeting it as an opportunity to “ram it down these people’s throats.” 

“These people” being the LGBT community, apparently. 

Limbaugh also told listeners there were 10 people who were responsible for the social media attacks on Memories Pizza.

“It takes a concerted effort rooted in lies and fraud and deceit sponsored by 10 people paid for by George Soros and Media Matters to gin something like this up and to make you get dispirited and depressed, and think that you are vastly overwhelmed and outnumbered. You are not,” Limbaugh promised his listeners Friday. “We’re talking about a minority that’s not even 5% of the population here. Eighty percent of this country claims to be Christian, which is its own interesting little factoid given what’s happening here. But that’s for another discussion.”

Late Friday evening, after concerns of fraud raised that Loesch said were baseless, the fundraiser was closed, little more than 48 hours after it began – in what seems to be a relatively short time for a GoFundMe campaign.

Once it ended, 29,160 people had donated $842,387.

memories_final.jpg 

GoFundMe takes 7.9% plus 30 cents of each donation, so it looks like the O’Connor family presumably will get over three-quarters of a million dollars –  a little over $767,000, assuming our calculations are correct.

Why did Loesch shut the campaign down just two days in?

Our request for information, made late Friday via Twitter, did not receive a response. 

 

Image via Facebook

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

CRIME

Man Shoots and Kills Atlanta Supermarket Cashier, Wounds Guard Over Mask Policy: Police

Published

on

A man pulled out a gun and shot and killed an Atlanta-area Big Bear Supermarket cashier over the store’s mask policy, according to police. Two people, including a DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office reserve unit deputy who was inside the supermarket working as a security guard, and the suspect, were also wounded.

“The subject pulled out a weapon and shot a cashier at the location,” DeKalb County Sheriff Melody Maddox said, according to 11Alive. “The individual is deceased.”

“Although details are not complete, authorities say that the male suspect was involved in a dispute with a young woman before he began firing at her inside the store,” the spokesperson for the sheriff’s office said.

There apparently was an altercation over the mask policy, which is clearly posted on the store’s door.

“A witness, identified as Alan Williams, said a man walked into the store, struck the woman with a gun, then shot her. That’s when the deputy and the suspect exchanged gunfire.”

 

This is a breaking news and developing story. 

Continue Reading

'CAN’T HANDLE COLD OR HEAT'

#AbbottFailedTexas Trends as State Electric Authority Warns of Possible Power Outages Again – This Time in Heat Wave

Published

on

Over the winter at least 151 Texans died as 4.5 million homes and businesses went without power in a massive failure created by poor planning, lack of regulation, and sheer greed.

Last week Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott promised he had fixed the problem.

On Monday, less than seven days later, ERCOT, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, urged customers to turn air conditioning to no cooler than 78 degrees and to conserve power, as it expects more blackouts throughout the week – this time during extreme heat.

In a statement ERCOT also asked Texans to not use ovens, washing machines, or dryers.

“If you don’t need something – we are asking you to turn it off and unplug it if possible.”

Many Texans, and many Americans, are furious.

 

 

Continue Reading

THE GOP IS NOW THE QANON PARTY

FBI Warns Congress of More Possible QAnon Violence Targeting Democratic Lawmakers

Published

on

The FBI has briefed members of Congress that QAnon “digital soldiers” may become violent and engage in more acts of domestic violent extremism, like the January 6 insurrection. In an unclassified version of the threat assessment delivered to top lawmakers in April the Bureau warns that Democrats may be targeted.

Rather than walking away from the far right wing conspiracy movement that paints some top Democrats as part of a dark cabal of cannibalistic Satan-worshipping pedophiles being fought by Donald Trump, some QAnon cultists think “that individuals need to take greater control of the direction of the movement than before,” CNN reports in an exclusive.

The shift is fueled by a belief among some of the conspiracy’s more militant followers that they “can no longer ‘trust the plan” set forth by its mysterious standard-bearer, known simply as “Q,” according an unclassified FBI threat assessment on QAnon sent to lawmakers last week, which was obtained by CNN.

This might lead followers to seek to harm “perceived members of the ‘cabal’ such as Democrats and other political opposition — instead of continually awaiting Q’s promised actions which have not occurred,” according to the assessment.

CNN also reports FBI Director Christopher Wray “made clear the bureau is not investigating” the QAnon movement, but only crimes committed by its adherents.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.