Connect with us

Christian College Bans Homosexuality After Two Gay Athletes Come Out

Published

on

A private Christian college in South Carolina, after two gay athletes came out in the media, has very publicly banned homosexuality, and issued a threatening statement.

Last year volleyball players Drew Davis and Juan Varona, both openly gay at Erskine, a rural South Carolina private Christian college founded in 1839, were featured in a very intimate Outsports article. The piece detailed how Davis was inadvertently outed by his ex-boyfriend, how his father disowned him and his mother told him he’d be unemployed for the rest of his life, and how he attempted suicide. It also told of the strong support Davis and Varona have received from their fellow teammates.

This year, under the leadership of Dr. Paul Kooistra (photo), the school’s new president, Erskine has just released a damning policy statement that bans homosexuality, labeling it “sin and contrary to the will of the Creator.”

Under a section titled “In Action,” the Erskine policy notes, “We believe the Bible teaches that all sexual activity outside the covenant of marriage is sinful and therefore ultimately destructive to the parties involved.”

The policy statement is also foreboding and threatening, commanding, “members of the Erskine community are expected to follow the teachings of scripture concerning matters of human sexuality and institutional decisions will be made in light of this position.”

How are Erskine’s two openly-gay students expected to interpret that statement, that “institutional decisions will be made in light of this position,” and how are the students who are LGBTQ expected to feel safe in that environment?

That’s not an extreme question.

Hidden at the bottom of a financial report to the college’s trustees, a statement on the school’s website reads, “the Student Services and Athletic Committee submitted and the full board approved a Statement on Human Sexuality. The administration will add the statement to its official manuals and determine how it will be integrated into campus culture and procedures.”

Doesn’t that sound like the school is targeting its two gay players?

Varona told Outsports’ Cyd Zeigler he is “disappointed” by his school’s statement, “sad and worried for other gay people,” and added it took him “by surprise.” He says, “the school took several steps back instead of progressing towards a future where everyone can be treated as an equal.”

“I understand the religious stand on adultery, which is part of the Ten Commandments in the Bible, and that would apply to heterosexual and homosexual people.”

Zeigler has a few thoughts for Erskine College’s leadership.

It’s insightful that Varona would mention the Ten Commandments. There’s another Commandment among the 10 that’s given higher priority in all versions of the Bible: “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.”

We’re assuming this means that Erskine College will also ban all of its athletic teams from practicing or competing on Sundays. That’s unfortunate, because on Sunday, April 19, the men’s volleyball, men’s golf and women’s golf teams have tournament games scheduled. The following Sunday four teams – softball, women’s lacrosse, women’s tennis and men’s tennis – have matches scheduled.

For the school to ban homosexuality but not ban these competitions on the sabbath would be the highest form of hypocrisy.

 

Editor’s note – 03.01.15: Links to Erskine’s anti-LGBT statement have been updated after the college moved it in an apparent attempt to hide it from media reports.

Image via Facebook

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

'DEEP STATE' RUDY

Giuliani Returns to White House, Denounces ‘Deep State,’ Calls BLM ‘Marxist’ Just Days After Trump Fired SDNY Chief

Published

on

It’s been less than two weeks since President Donald Trump fired the U.S. Attorney heading the once-independent Southern District of New York (SDNY) Office. Geoffrey Berman was conducting a criminal investigation of the President’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, and his actions regarding Ukraine. Berman had already indicted two of the former New York City mayor’s associates.

And it’s been months since Giuliani has been seen at the White House – though just 12 days since Attorney General Bill Barr first announced Berman was “stepping down,” and just ten days since Trump fired him, forcing his resignation.

Giuliani, himself once the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, was very talkative when he spoke with reporters from the White House lawn, in front of a building in which he does not work and has no authority for. In fact, Giuliani has not been elected to any public office in over two decades, since 1997.

It is unknown why he was there.

He did, however, manage to put on a show.

The 76-year old former mayor called the Black Lives Matter movement a “Marxist organization,” and claimed it “has been planning to destroy the police for three years.”

There is no evidence of that.

“They’ve finally gotten stupid Democrat mayors to agree with them,” he added.

“Right now murder is up 58 percent under the regressive Democrat mayor who is typical of Democrat mayors all over the country,” Giuliani claimed. (NCRM has not verified that claim.)

“They are a disaster. They are a danger to their people,” the former NYC mayor told reporters. What he neglected to say is NYC murders have dropped dramatically since he was mayor, but are not as bad as they were when he was mayor.

He also slammed the person, currently unknown, who leaked information to The New York Times on which the paper based its story that Russia is paying the Taliban to murder U.S. soldiers. Counting on his fingers he called the leaker “some kind of a felon in the federal government,” and a “deep state criminal.”

Giuliani claimed the information that was leaked was “actionable intelligence,” despite the Trump administration claiming the president was not briefed on it because it was not. Also, it’s unclear how or why Giuliani, who is not a federal government employee, would know anything about the intelligence – which the Trump White House says is a “hoax” and does not exist.

“I can’t think of a worse crime,” Giuliani, the personal attorney for President Trump actually claimed. “It’s not treason, but it comes close.”

 

Continue Reading

LOL – SERIOUSLY?

‘Doing It Wrong’: Internet Explodes as Trump Says He’s OK With Wearing a Mask and Would Look ‘Like the Lone Ranger’

Published

on

After top Republicans this week declared they support mask-wearing to help control COVID-19 infections President Donald Trump, six months into the coronavirus pandemic has finally decided to say he’s “all for masks.”

“I’m all for masks. I think masks are very good,” Trump said in a Fox News interview Wednesday afternoon.

The President refused to issue an executive order requiring mask usage, something experts say would significantly reduce the spread of the deadly virus and help the declining economy.

The vain President quickly added, “People have seen me wearing one.”

“I sort of liked the way I looked,” he added, “like the Lone Ranger.”

Not surprisingly, many were quick to mock the President, not only for being late to even just slightly support mask wearing but also for how he’s contributed to the deaths of 130,000 people in the U.S.

 

Continue Reading

IS IT TREASON YET?

Busted: Taliban Commanders Admit Russia Is Paying to Murder US Soldiers as Trump Calls Cash-for-Killings a ‘Hoax’

Published

on

President Donald Trump, the Director of National Intelligence, the former acting Director of National Intelligence, the National Security Advisor, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Defense, the White House press secretary, and other Trump-appointed administration officials all have offered varying denials that Russia is paying terrorists in the Taliban to kill American soldiers, and that President Trump was briefed on the bounty program as far back as March of 2019.

Those who are not denying that Russia is paying the Taliban to kill American troops?

The Taliban.

Two current Taliban commanders and one former Taliban commander have confirmed to Business Insider “that Russia pays extremists in Afghanistan to attack US soldiers.”

“The Taliban sources were clear that this took place, and said Iran and Pakistan do it too,” Business Insider, a right-leaning news site, adds in its report.

Russia is not only paying cash – via wire transfers as The New York Times reports – to the Taliban to kill Americans, but “Taliban commanders have confirmed” Russia has also offered “material support to its members in exchange for attacking US forces in Afghanistan.”

The former Taliban commander, now a refugee in Greece, explains that the Russians “did not spend the money because we are friends. They spent it to kill their American enemies.”

Trump, as recently as Wednesday morning, has denied that the Russian cash-for-killings bounty program exists, and that he was ever briefed on it. As with many things that are true, Trump labeled it a “hoax.”

Image by US Army via Flickr
U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Michael L. Casteel

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.